Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Alert: Rule Changes  (Read 20562 times)

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
Re: Alert: Rule Changes
« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »
I think they may be distracted by the enquiry and the spinning about on all economic policies.

• just a little whiterabbit
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #181 on: June 01, 2012, 10:41:16 PM »
It certainly is fascinating to see people calling the US system "easier".  People have been saying the reverse for years.

I hope couples don't find themselves forced to living in one country or the other because of they system.  I hope they get to make that choice based upon which country will give them the most fulfilling life.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #182 on: June 02, 2012, 09:36:45 AM »
It certainly is fascinating to see people calling the US system "easier".  People have been saying the reverse for years.

I hope couples don't find themselves forced to living in one country or the other because of they system.  I hope they get to make that choice based upon which country will give them the most fulfilling life.

The impression I get is that it's pretty easy if you're applying from the UK, and there aren't many refusals because rather than outright refuse, thry give you the chance to send in more documents. It just takes a long time for the visa to come through. But once you're in, you're in - no messing around with ILR, etc.

« Reply #183 on: June 02, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »
The impression I get is that it's pretty easy if you're applying from the UK, and there aren't many refusals because rather than outright refuse, thry give you the chance to send in more documents. It just takes a long time for the visa to come through. But once you're in, you're in - no messing around with ILR, etc.

8-10 months, not that bad. As for ILR thats not quite true, if your marriage is less than 2 years old then you do receive a conditional 2 year green card, then you have to apply again. TBH its not that different from ILR.

« Reply #184 on: June 02, 2012, 12:44:03 PM »
But once you're in, you're in - no messing around with ILR, etc.
As for ILR thats not quite true, if your marriage is less than 2 years old then you do receive a conditional 2 year green card, then you have to apply again.

MWill's post is more like how Australian (and I believe Canadian) immigration works - if you don't qualify for a permanent visa (=ILE) when you apply because your relationship has lasted less than 2 years, the DIAC (=UKBA) contacts you when it is time for ILR, and you only pay for the original application, which is currently AU$1995 but includes all dependents.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 12:45:55 PM by zero »

« Reply #185 on: June 02, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »
8-10 months, not that bad. As for ILR thats not quite true, if your marriage is less than 2 years old then you do receive a conditional 2 year green card, then you have to apply again. TBH its not that different from ILR.

That's correct.  The process is called "Removal of Conditions" and costs $590 USD at present.  Applicants submit a package to USCIS containing evidence of an ongoing bonafide marriage, especially any evidence of co-mingling of finances (joint bank accounts; jointly held property; jointly filed tax returns; etc).  The applicant is rarely interviewed by USCIS. 

Where this process differs from ILR (if I understand it correctly) is that in the US at Removal of Conditions, there is no requirement on the sponsor to prove current finances.  Financial viability has been established earlier on when the residency was first granted, and that sponsorship remains in effect without any requirement to meet minimum standards a second time.

« Reply #186 on: June 02, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »

Well if it's as easy as some here would have us believe, there shouldn't be any extra documents required due to the clarity of the instructions.   :P

I think we've lost our way a bit in this discussion when we discuss the minutia of the two processes.  Both countries desire to keep immigrants off benefits. Both countries have wide swings in income across their geography.  But both countries also have wildly different benefit systems, with the biggest difference being in the UK the benefit system is administered from a national level while US benefits are administered by individual states. 

« Reply #187 on: June 05, 2012, 04:57:58 PM »
There is a petition  to sign http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32167 to protest against the VERY expected maintenance increase please sign up!
Jan 2003 - Met Nagoya, Japan :)
Oct 2004 - I moved back to the UK. He stayed.
Dec 25th 2004 - We were engaged!!!
July 2nd 2005 - Married CofE
July 15th 2005 - I said goodbye to him at Houston.
Dec 18th - 2005 DH comes to UK to see 2 week old daughter!
Oct 17th 2006 I finally arrive in the US with baby.
July 6th 2011 ... I fly back home with kids he is staying 1 year in Texas :(
March 9th 2012: He flew over and got a job (flew back)
MARCH 22nd 2012 VISA Application in
June 12th 2012: Entered UK under Old rules!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »
I know there's been talk of increasing the time to ILR for spouse visa holders from 2 years to 5 years, but has there been any talk about increasing the UK residency time required to get home student fees instead of international student fees? And if they were to increase it, would it affect people already in the country?

Currently it takes 3 years of UK residence. I'm hoping to go back to school once I've been here long enough to reduce the cost, but now I'm a bit worried that it may be an even longer wait.

« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2012, 11:53:20 AM »
I doubt it, since the residence rule isn't really just tied to visa holders.

However, since it might take five years to get ILR that will effectively make it a five year wait for visa holders since as a non- EU/EEA citizen you need have recourse to public funds to take advantage of the home fees.
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

• Liked: 3
« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2012, 12:09:04 PM »
That sounds awful. I guess I'll just have to hope that if they do increase the time to ILR that it won't affect people already in the country on spouse visas.

« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2012, 02:11:34 PM »
Read in a few pieces that we might be hearing something later today or tomorrow, but that might just be the stuff about forced marriage.

« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2012, 11:37:36 AM »
There is a petition  to sign http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32167 to protest against the VERY expected maintenance increase please sign up!

188 signatures so far, and no info on who can sign. I'm not a UKC yet, so my voteless status seems to me to say 'your signature won't mean anything'.

In the States, you see, you have to be a registered voter to sign petitions to the government, otherwise they discount the signature.

Does anyone know if this is different in the UK? Can a voteless signer mean much of anything?

ETA:@MWill, you know, when I saw that piece about forced marriages I mentioned in a different forum that I thought we'd be hearing something about the rest of the proposals. Naturally I was told it would be a mere coincidence should we hear anything about the other changes, lol.

But not really laughing. I hate being right in situations like these.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:39:53 AM by 2ndlife »
Met online - Mar '08
Met f2f - Aug '10
Married - 17 Jan '11
Visa - 9 Jun '11
in UK - 18 Jun '11
ILR - will apply '13
UKC - will apply '14

• Liked: 24
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2012, 12:14:42 PM »
Guardian story is saying this will be announced this week:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/08/immigration-rules-couples-stark-choice

« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2012, 08:26:04 PM »
188 signatures so far, and no info on who can sign. I'm not a UKC yet, so my voteless status seems to me to say 'your signature won't mean anything'.

In the States, you see, you have to be a registered voter to sign petitions to the government, otherwise they discount the signature.

Does anyone know if this is different in the UK? Can a voteless signer mean much of anything?

You just have to be a resident of the UK--not just a citizen, so sign away.  It asks you if you are a resident in the form itself.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab