Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 187988 times)

Re: What ya reading
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2004, 02:20:51 AM »
I'm about 1/2 way through Decisions of the English Judges During the Usurpation.   It's a summary of cases brought before the English courts between 1655 and 1661.  It was just made available in distributable form this month. Before this, it was only available through antique dealers, or you had to go to a library and get viewing permission...

It's great, if you like that sort of thing. 

I can't believe it!  I may have finally found a person whose reading tastes are even more esoteric than mine!
 ;D

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2004, 08:44:20 PM »
I just finished Stuart Maconie's autobiography, 'Cider With Roadies'... it was fantastic!  Every page made me smile or chuckle with some memory or the wittiness of Stuart's choice of words.
It was so great that I emailed him at Radio 2, where he was temporarily sitting in for Johnny Walker, and i got a lovely, lovely , lovely e-mail back from him as well!  :-*   :-*   ;D

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2004, 09:48:30 PM »
'The Subtle Serpent' by Peter Tremayne - 4th in the Sister Fidelma series.  GREAT read!

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2004, 10:16:01 PM »
'Wuthering Heights'.. because I've never read it.  It's SO Bronte but I like it.   :D 

And to whoever was reading The Mayor of Casterbridge... you are a daring woman to read Hardy for fun!  I was going to teach it last spring and chose Rebecca by DuMaurier instead. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Liked: 0
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2004, 12:40:53 PM »
'Wuthering Heights'.. because I've never read it.  It's SO Bronte but I like it.   :D 

And to whoever was reading The Mayor of Casterbridge... you are a daring woman to read Hardy for fun!  I was going to teach it last spring and chose Rebecca by DuMaurier instead. 

No - I remember a whole lot of us at school going through a phase of reading Hardy, probably around the time that 'Far from the Madding Crowd' (the Julie Christie/Terence Stamp/Alan Bates version) came out.  I have to say that 'Jude the Obscure' renders me completely suicidal though!
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2004, 01:14:29 PM »
I am presently reading the late Marion Zimmer Bradley's Lady of Avalon.  I have read all the other of her Avalon books except The Forest House.  I have enjoyed the others, but I think this is my favourite of the lot.
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2004, 01:27:33 PM »

And to whoever was reading The Mayor of Casterbridge... you are a daring woman to read Hardy for fun! I was going to teach it last spring and chose Rebecca by DuMaurier instead.

It was a brilliant story. I simply love Hardy. Such sad books but they really suck you in. And I LOVED Jude the Obscure. The movie wasn't that bad either!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2005, 02:51:32 PM »
'Confessions of a Pagan Nun' by Kate Horsley.  Wow!  This one is going to be part of my permanent library.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2005, 02:59:10 PM »
Last few books have been:

A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly.  A fictionalised account of the murder of Grace Brown in the Adirondacks (sp?!) at the turn of the 20th century.  Really enjoyed it - more than I expected to.

I Blame Society by Otis Lee Crenshaw (Rich Hall).  Love Rich Hall.  Love love love love Rich Hall.

Enduring Love by Ian McEwan.  Wish I could get back the time I spent reading this book.   :-\\\\  Read it in preparation for seeing the movie, but now have less than no interest.  I finished the book and wondered why I bothered reading it.  Blech.

I'm on to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (watched the movied a few weeks ago) and Martha Peake next.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 2
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2005, 03:27:46 PM »
I'm just finishing a biography of John Peel by Mick wall. It's interesting but not very well written. After that I'll be reading  The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, it looks like a really good read, has anyone else here read it?

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2005, 03:38:31 PM »
I was just thinking this weekend of getting that one, Liz.  Let me know how it is!  ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2005, 02:23:43 PM »
'Set in Darkness' by Ian Rankin. 

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2005, 04:37:07 PM »
"The Murder Room" by PD James.  I'm also re-reading "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" before #6 comes out this summer!
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2005, 11:12:37 AM »
I'm also re-reading "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" before #6 comes out this summer!

Great idea.  I've got No. 6 on pre-order and am taking two days off around its arrival b/c I know I'll stay up into the wee hours reading.  I'm proud to admit I'm a fan!  :D

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2005, 11:22:43 AM »

Great idea.  I've got No. 6 on pre-order and am taking two days off around its arrival b/c I know I'll stay up into the wee hours reading.  I'm proud to admit I'm a fan!  :D
My daughter has requested that we go to a bookstore that will be open late so she can buy it at midnight. She figures she can finish reading it before people in california are even able to buy it ;-).

Sponsored Links