Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 207301 times)

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
Re: What ya reading
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2005, 08:21:18 PM »
The Jane Austen Book Club...but I'm not enjoying it that much. I am excited about Jody Picoult's book 'My Sister's Keeper'. I'm on the waiting list for it at the library.

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2005, 08:52:59 PM »
'Valley of the Shadow: A Sister Fidelma Mystery' by Peter Tremayne.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2005, 09:00:12 AM »

I just finished her newest book Tea Rose, I loved it! I think I read her other books were Young Adult (I love reading those!) Is A Gathering Light as well? I need to pick it up!

It didn't seem to be Young Adult.  It was very good.  I think in the US it might have been called A Northern Light, because in the back she herself refers to the book that way.

STILL haven't gotten to The Time Traveler's Wife.  ::)

Have read I Is Someone Else - great book, surprisingly so - and have started The Fig Eater.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2005, 02:33:51 PM »
The Jane Austen Book Club...but I'm not enjoying it that much. I am excited about Jody Picoult's book 'My Sister's Keeper'. I'm on the waiting list for it at the library.

Both of those are on my wish list, Carla! I'm sorry you're not enjoying "Jane Austen." What's wrong with it? I thought it sounded quite promising!

have started The Fig Eater.

Oooh, let me know what you think of it. I didn't really enjoy it very much.

I've just finished reading "To the Lighthouse" for my book group. Oddly, I was the only one out of the 10 of us who enjoyed it. It was very difficult to read, but well worth the challenge, I thought. She's such a remarkable writer.

Next up for us is "The Time Traveler's Wife," which a lot of you seem to have read! I'm looking forward to that!

In the meantime, however, I need to unwind from Mrs. Woolf, so am indulging in some junk-food reading and am racing through a few Harlan Coben thrillers. Not usually my cup of tea, but I needed something I could read quickly.

Before that, I read "Chronicles" by Bob Dylan (stupendous).
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2005, 09:53:11 AM »
Belinda - finished The Fig Eater and, um, well, it certainly started better than it ended.  :P  I didn't care for it much, either, to be honest.  At first I liked it because it kind of reminded me of a short story series I read in Ellery Queen.  But then it just got strange and stupid and by the end, I really didn't give a rat's a$$ who killed the stupid girl!

And the title is COMPLETELY off.  Look at it one way, it makes no sense.  Look at it another way, it's just way TOO deep if it's supposed to have some sort of "double meaning."

Anyway, read Death Du Jour and it was pretty good - 2nd in the author's series, so I think I'm going to track down the first one.  Kathy Reichs (spelling?).

I know I know - still need to start The Time Traveler's Wife!  ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2005, 03:16:25 PM »
I love Kathy Reichs... I can lend you Grave Secrets if you want to borrow it. I also really like Val McDermid - if you like crime novels, she's great.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 0
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2005, 08:21:59 PM »
I've just started reading Bliss by Peter Carey who also wrote The History of the Kelly Gang and Oscar and Lucinda. I've yet to read the former but saw the movie of the latter and thought what a wonderful story it was. Anyway, this book is quite good so far, but, I have to admit, I'm still a bit spoiled from  The Time Traveller's Wife. *sigh* . . . .

I've picked up and leafed through (again) A Debt to Pleasure by John Lanchester. If you haven't read it, do yourself a favour! It's quintessential black humour - and some really good recipes to boot!
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2005, 09:02:55 AM »
belindaloo, I don't know why I didn't like it. I gave up on it after I started skipping around, trying to find some interest in the characters and their lives. It just didn't do it for me, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great read.

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2005, 08:01:13 PM »
Northern Lights, the first in the His Dark Materials trilogy, by Philip Pullman.

Just started reading it.  I have to admit I'm not that excited yet!!!  Does it get better as you read?  I really want to love this book like everyone I know does!

« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2005, 09:53:02 AM »
Just started reading it.  I have to admit I'm not that excited yet!!!  Does it get better as you read?  I really want to love this book like everyone I know does!

YES.  I wasn't that enthralled until a few chapters in; I was mildly intrigued, but stick with it.  It may not be for everyone, but if you like that genre, I think you will love it.
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2005, 10:55:14 AM »
Thank you!  I thought I would love it right away, so I got scared :P

« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2005, 02:25:28 PM »
The Jane Austen Book Club...but I'm not enjoying it that much.

I waited on the library list for this book for over a month and finally got it and couldn't make my way through it- I really didn't like it either and finally gave up on it.  I need humor in my books- if something is too heavy or deep I get depressed.  Any one have any suggestions? 

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2005, 04:32:37 AM »
Just finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time".  Very well done - 2 thumbs up!
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2005, 10:10:14 AM »
Just finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time".  Very well done - 2 thumbs up!

That one was really good, wasn't it? A friend of mine works with children with Aspeger's Syndrome, so it was very cool to get her p.o.v. as well. She thought the book portrayed it very accurately. Great read.

I waited on the library list for this book for over a month and finally got it and couldn't make my way through it- I really didn't like it either and finally gave up on it. I need humor in my books- if something is too heavy or deep I get depressed. Any one have any suggestions?

I just finished this one (Jane Austen Book Club), and didn't think it was all that bad. Some of the character development was a bit weak, though. What I did particularly like were the appendices -- summaries of Austen's books, as well as questions for readers. That was nice.

If you're looking for humour, Carla, try David Sedaris. He's one of my all-time faves.

I ordered the Booker Prize short-listed books and am making my way through those right now. I didn't think Alan Hollinghurst was up to the usual Booker standards, but it was OK and pleasant enough to read. I thought "The Master" was pretty brilliant, and it even made me want to read Henry James -- which is saying something! Has anyone else read any of the  most recent batch of Booker books?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2005, 06:13:58 PM »

This was  quite a good book.  The writing style and development echoed the main characters interaction with the world very well. Being able to read how he viewed the world, then juxtaposing that against how someone without Asperger's views the world was enlightening and deftly done.
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab