Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 188081 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: What ya reading
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2005, 09:27:49 AM »
i just finished 'the taking' by dean koontz.  i love him, but it was too much for me.

i am now reading 'trading up' by Candace Bushnell (ala sex and the city fame).  it's girly and cute

« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2005, 10:22:38 AM »
i am now reading 'trading up' by Candace Bushnell (ala sex and the city fame).  it's girly and cute

Tell us how this it!!!  I heard it's great!  I want to read it!!!!

« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2005, 07:18:20 AM »
I'm reading My Heart is my Own : The life of Mary Queen of Scots by John Guy-Great stuff!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 07:32:39 PM by jennydee »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2005, 12:05:07 PM »
I'm still trying to make my through the new mystery by Diane Mott Davidson.  My brain is like pudding lately and I can't seem to concentrate.  I think it's a pretty good mystery if you like that sort of "cozy" genre (which I do).  I'm getting ready to start reading both Little Earthquakes for the book group and When a Girl Stands Up for myself.  I used to never have any problem reading two books at a time- I usually had a fiction book and a history book going, but lately it's been difficult.  Maybe my brain just needs some exercise!

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2005, 11:52:37 PM »
'The Lilac Bus' by Maeve Binchey (sp?)
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2005, 03:11:37 PM »
I'm not usually a family saga/chick lit sort of gal, but I do love Maeve Binchy  :)

Nice comfy reads that I never want to end!

« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2005, 06:34:23 PM »
Let's see - finished:

Instances of the Number Three by Salley Vickers. Same woman who wrote Miss Garnet's Angel. I liked them both although I liked the former much more. Very down-to-earth but poignant writing.

A Girl Could Stand Up by ummm . . . don't have the book handy, sorry. Very good.  A definite recommend. I teared up a few times, I admit.  Really embarrassing thing to do standing on the platform at the rail station.

I'm just now starting The Electric Michaelangelo. Just bought it today and I'm already well into it.

cookie70: have you started/finished A Girl Could Stand Up yet?
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2005, 07:51:34 PM »
I'm just now starting The Electric Michaelangelo. Just bought it today and I'm already well into it.

Let me know how you like Electric Michaelangelo. It's in the stack of books next to my bed to be read.

I just finished "Castles in the Air" -- true account of a young London couple who buy a ramshackle castle in north Wales and set about restoring it. Good read. Am now about to start "Perfume" (Patrick Suskind) for my book club.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2005, 07:56:05 PM »
Am now about to start "Perfume" (Patrick Suskind) for my book club.

Excellent book!  Read it last year!!!  Let me know what you think!!!  If you like it you might also like The Alienist by Caleb Carr (My favorite book)

• Snaps
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2005, 10:17:20 AM »
Excellent book!  Read it last year!!!  Let me know what you think!!!  If you like it you might also like The Alienist by Caleb Carr (My favorite book)

I loved The Alienist! Caleb Carr is great!

« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2005, 08:52:38 AM »
Let me know how you like Electric Michaelangelo. It's in the stack of books next to my bed to be read.

I just finished "Castles in the Air" -- true account of a young London couple who buy a ramshackle castle in north Wales and set about restoring it. Good read. Am now about to start "Perfume" (Patrick Suskind) for my book club.

Hey belindaloo - I can now highly recomment "The Electric Michaelangelo". I've about 10 pages or so left in the book and I've really enjoyed it. Started off a bit slow for me, but I think that was just because the writing is very rich and more dense than a lot of books I've read lately. So I had to adjust my reading style a bit - I tend to be one of those readers who skips all but a few words in a paragraph if the writing is rather predictable, not keeping my interest, or just too easy. But after that small adjustment I found the book to be very lavish in it's prose. The book, I believe,  is an allegory for ravages upon Europe by WWII.  It is layered and rich enough to deserve a second reading.
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2005, 08:56:47 AM »
I loved "Perfume", and now I'm reminded to read it again :) I thought The Alienist was skillfully and vividly written, but the boy who's always smoking? - kinda got on my nerves.

• My heart belongs to Stephen
    • my space
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2005, 09:48:39 AM »
I just finished the book Marabou Stork Nightmares by Edinburgh's own Irvine Welsh....It was definately disturbing! But at the same time sad.  I really couldn't put it down and just felt the need to reach out and help the main character....if you liked Trainspotting try this book

« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2005, 02:50:14 PM »
Perfume is one of my all-time favs as well. And I have a copy of the Electric Michaelangelo in my "to read" stack as well!

• Snaps
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2005, 02:51:23 PM »
Hey belindaloo - I can now highly recomment "The Electric Michaelangelo". I've about 10 pages or so left in the book and I've really enjoyed it. Started off a bit slow for me, but I think that was just because the writing is very rich and more dense than a lot of books I've read lately. So I had to adjust my reading style a bit - I tend to be one of those readers who skips all but a few words in a paragraph if the writing is rather predictable, not keeping my interest, or just too easy. But after that small adjustment I found the book to be very lavish in it's prose. The book, I believe,  is an allegory for ravages upon Europe by WWII.  It is layered and rich enough to deserve a second reading.

It is wonderful, isn't it!!? I'm nearly halfway through and am enjoying it thoroughly. Her writing is really rich and lush.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab