Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Crime in the UK  (Read 1347 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
Crime in the UK
« on: September 22, 2004, 02:09:01 PM »
I currently live in Baltimore, which is generally considered to be a pretty dangerous city.  I did a little research, and according to the numbers I found, London has crime rate that is nearly twice that of Baltimore.  It seems that UK cities have quite a bit of crime.

How do those of you who live there--especially in cities--feel?  Do you worry about crime? 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 02:32:40 PM by FormicaLinoleum »
Liz

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Crime in the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 02:25:53 PM »
From what I understand much of the crime happens in the tourist areas and much of it to tourists, ie. stolen purses and the like.  I haven't heard of too much violent crime in comparison to the other cities I've lived in (Boston, DC) though there are areas I won't go after a certain hour (like in any city).  Honestly, I feel relatively safe in London though I am vigilant...

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 02:34:40 PM »
Maybe its the lack of guns (not to say there aren't guns here, just that every britbubba doesn't own one:P ), but I have a much more relaxed attitude regarding crime here. Seems to be more petty thief stuff and vandalism, not so much murder and such. I have to admit I don't live in London, but the smaller towns are no more exempt from crime. I still do the viligent thing, but it doesn't grate on the back of my mind.

• Hi there.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 02:36:29 PM »
I feel pretty safe in Baltimore, and in 14 years the only thing that has happened to me is that my car was broken into once.  But we do hear about occasional rashes of muggings and the like in the area.

My gf worries much more about crime than I do.  I think she imagines she'll feel safer in London than in Baltimore, but I'm afraid she'll be unpleasantly surprized.
Liz

• Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 02:39:45 PM »
We're in Newcastle upon Tyne, and I feel pretty safe here.  Granted, we live in a leafy suburb, but I still do feel safe when I'm out and about.  There are, of course, areas of the city that I'd avoid if I were alone at night, but overall I do feel safe....just as safe as I did when living in the US.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 05:41:14 PM »
Like any city, London has it's ok areas and not-so-ok areas.  For instance, Hackney makes me nervous and I would not go there by myself.  In fact, turned down a job interview because it was in Hackney. 

I don't go out by myself at night if I can help it, but overall, I think a lot of it is just common sense - don't carry valuables if you can help it, keep tight hold of your bags and purses, keep your head down and keep moving.  Works for me and I feel ok in London.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 07:26:37 PM »
Check out www.upmystreet.com - if you have a postcode you're particularly interested in you can see the crime stats separated into the category of crime.... We live in a pretty posh London suburb (in a decidedly un-posh little house, LOL) and to look at crime in general it might seem high, but it's pretty much all burglary and car crime - people's cars getting broken into in parking lots or people's houses getting burgled (apparently in the summer there was a rash of theiving 'cause so many people were leaving their doors wide open! Duh!) I feel very safe here and when I'm in London - just stay aware, look confident and like you know where you are, and don't talk on your mobile while you walk....

• Working and making a living (kinda)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 07:49:41 PM »
Thanks for the link.  That was very interesting.  Find out about a lot of stuff about an area there.

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 10:15:03 PM »
A couple years ago in the town we were living people were up in arms about the sudden rash of crimes being committed. Everywhere we went that is all people were talking about fpr a couple of weeks.

The crime?

Pints of milk were being stolen off peoples doorsteps every morning.

The criminals?  Some 15 year olds on their way to school.

We live in a place where a childs bike being stolen is literally front page news.  The nearest "city" -Cambridge last year had a big debate and appeal about the homeless problem there - 14 people were sleeping on the streets. Seriously, 14.

We did have the awful murders of Sarah and Jessica just up the road. But those were almost more awful because crime around here is just unheard of.  It kind of shattered the peace around here. But for the most part that peace has returned.

I feel safe.

Of course that was a small town (technically a city by definition - it has a cathedral) but we are only an hour from London by train and we are regular visitors to the city.  I do feel safe for the most part in London. As others have said most of the crime will inconvience you or possibly disgust you if you are unlucky enough to come across it, but it isn't going to kill you. 

The only I've ever actually experianced in my 13 years in the UK was having a car broken into - and that was on a US Air Base!  LOL!

Rosie
All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers. ~François Fénelon

• Liked: 12
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 02:19:37 AM »
The UK (especially cities like London) is FAR from being crime-free, but your gf really shouldn't have to worry. Just make sure you don't let opportunists take advantage of you, especially if can they sense you're a foreigner, and know which areas to avoid. I've been to London a few times (I'm currently living in Glasgow), and from my experience it seems about as safe, if not safer, as any other major city. Granted, I probably didn't see the nasty crime-ridden parts, but I didn't feel paranoid about walking down the streets either. Just keep your wits about you, just like you do in any city, and you'll be fine. :)
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 10:46:51 AM »
How to avoid crime in London (and most other cities):

1.  Do not put your purse down on the ground or hang it on the back of your chair...it is just asking to be stolen or broken into.  Many a mobile phone has been lost that way.  Same with wallets...don't put them into a back pocket or an outside pocket of a jacket.

2.  Be vigilent while walking around...and not just at night.  I've seen articles that more women are attacked during the daytime near where they live or work because they become less alert about their surroundings.  But if you give up whatever you have to a mugger, you are less likely to be hurt.

3.  If you know an area is unsafe, then don't go there alone, especially at night. 

4.  Do not go to the top of a double-decker bus on your own, particularly if you are a woman and if it is during a non-rush-hour time of day.

5.  If you have a car, park it in well lit, public areas.  Do not leave anything of any value in clear view and if you can, take out your stereo system.

That's all I can think of off-hand. 

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 08:02:08 PM »
Like any city, London has it's ok areas and not-so-ok areas.  For instance, Hackney makes me nervous and I would not go there by myself.  In fact, turned down a job interview because it was in Hackney. 

I don't go out by myself at night if I can help it, but overall, I think a lot of it is just common sense - don't carry valuables if you can help it, keep tight hold of your bags and purses, keep your head down and keep moving.  Works for me and I feel ok in London.

I live in Hackney and I'm not nervous here.  There are certainly parts I wouldn't go to at night, especially alone.  I'm a block away from Finsbury Park, almost in Islington and while very diverse, I'm not paranoid about where I live.  I pay attention to who is around me, regardless of where I am in London.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Banned

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 06:20:38 PM »
I currently live in Baltimore, which is generally considered to be a pretty dangerous city.  I did a little research, and according to the numbers I found, London has crime rate that is nearly twice that of Baltimore.  It seems that UK cities have quite a bit of crime.

How do those of you who live there--especially in cities--feel?  Do you worry about crime? 

Interesting topic.
Maybe the nature of the crimes are different.
Guns are generally illegal in UK, so maybe that would affect the nature of the crimes.

I am a brit living in UK. I have not ever felt in danger of being a victim of violent crime.

Have had vandalism on my Jag, and someone tried to steal the Alfa. Maybe crime against property is more of an issue here.

Just my immediate thoughts.

Crime against property

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab