Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Social work students...how the heck do you get in!?  (Read 1724 times)

• Liked: 0
Social work students...how the heck do you get in!?
« on: April 02, 2012, 05:01:38 AM »
I want to apply for a MA in social work in the UK, but every program has really strict requirements :( Most of them seem to require at LEAST one years full time experience in a social work setting.

The issue with that of course is in the US, the amount of jobs in that area open to people without a MSW are limited. I did 2 undergraduate internships for two semesters and have been told by a college that they'll only count half of my experience time because it was undergrad!

I don't remember any US schools having such a specific time requirement. Has anybody here successfully gotten into a British MSW program?

Re: Social work students...how the heck do you get in!?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:10:06 AM »
Competition is tough to secure a place in social work programs. There are a lot of experienced applicants in the UK so I can only imagine international applicants will definitely be under close scrutiny.

I have been a practice teacher for several social work students.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:19:50 AM »
i think the problem is that in the uk there is a ba in social work, and these students have placements during the degree and then they go into social work jobs afterwards. hard for someone in the us to compete really. have you called a program directly and inquired if they have any concessisions for international students?
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »
I've spoken to one program director so far and it doesn't seem like there are any concessions - she knows I'm American but said the requirements are 850-900 hours of service  :o

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »
I think the issue is maybe getting relevant British volunteering experience?

I want to apply for a MA in social work in the UK, but every program has really strict requirements :( Most of them seem to require at LEAST one years full time experience in a social work setting.

I have never heard of this.

This might help with explaining entry requirements:
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/social_worker_entry_requirements.htm

There are MA in International Social Work or Masters in International Social Policy, which are not qualifying / practice degrees, which may be an alternative, i.e. more international social policy based:   

http://www.uel.ac.uk/postgraduate/programmes/intsocialcommu.htm

http://www.uel.ac.uk/postgraduate/programmes/intsocialrefugee.htm

http://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/postgrad/subjects/social-and-public-policy/international-social-policy-ma

http://www.york.ac.uk/spsw/postgraduate/ma-comparative-international-social-policy/

http://www.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/prospectus/pg/international_social_welfare_and_social_policy.html

You could also consider Public Administration or Public Policy Masters.

HTH.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:28:51 AM »
I hadn't heard of it either, but every program I've looked at has a specific time requirement for experience. Uni of Edinburgh is one year full time or its equivalent in hours, Trinity requires minimum 6 months or 850 hours, another one that I can't remember requires 3 months full time, another one (most I've seen) said it requires about 1250 hours which works out to a little over a year.

Very daunting :(

Thanks for the links though, I'll check those out!

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »
I didn't realise you were looking at Edinburgh.

What about their MSc in Comparative Public Policy?

http://www.sps.ed.ac.uk/gradschool/taught_masters/a_g/comparative_public_policy/programme_and_aims

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 01:25:58 AM »
wow! I am shocked as this requirement.  As someone who just completed my masters in social work in the UK I am very surprised that it is so difficult to get into a program.  I am about to register with the HPC or HCPC in August and hopefully they will review my degree with flying colours and I will be able to get on the registry

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 09:00:43 AM »
I had to volunteer in a related area before being accepted onto my Canadian BSW, in addition to a personal statement and interview. You can work in unqualified and related posts here and that would strengthen one's application, but that requires a work permit. Maybe a volunteer visa, if not British / EEA citizen, for a related volunteering position if acceptable by an individual uni?

However, I would think getting onto a UK social work degree would be more difficult for a foreigner, given the bursary / funding system here and those requirements, that would seem more of an issue to me.

Brigette, if you have a British social work masters, I don't see it as a problem. If you are not British / EEA, maybe you could explain to others how you did it?  :)

MLG  :)

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 06:13:30 AM »
I had to volunteer in a related area before being accepted onto my Canadian BSW, in addition to a personal statement and interview. You can work in unqualified and related posts here and that would strengthen ones application, but that requires a work permit. Maybe a volunteer visa, if not British / EEA citizen, for a related volunteering position if acceptable by an individual uni?

However, I would think getting onto a UK social work degree would be more difficult for a foreigner, given the bursary / funding system here and those requirements, that would seem more of an issue to me.

Brigette, if you have a British social work masters, I don't see it as a problem. If you are not British / EEA, maybe you could explain to others how you did it?  :)

MLG  :)

Hi,

I just realised that there is a typo in my original post.  I am British however my masters degree was attained in the US. So sorry for the confusion.    In order to work in the UK as a social worker your degree has to be reviewed by the HCPC  (Health & Care Professional Council) formerly the HPC (Health Professionals Council).  Once the degree is reviewed and meets UK standards, one gets onto the registry.  The HCPC will begin taking applications on August 1.

So even if one is a UK citizen but obtained their degree in another country, the degree has to be assessed by the HCPC.  I believe that is the easiest part (even though the forms are quite daunting).  Being able to work in the UK will then pose a problem if one is not a UK citizen. Of course if one is able to acquire the correct visa' work permit, or job sponsorship, then one can work as a social worker once on the registry.

Mapleleafgirl72, I hope this answered your question and cleared up the error in my original post.   

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab