Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cheapest phone options for calls from the US to the UK when on holiday?  (Read 1371 times)

• I miss people no matter where I live
  • Liked: 0
Hi guys,

I'm visiting my family in the summer and wanted to take my blackberry with me because it's quadband I'll finally have a phone that works in the US too. What's the cheapest option for calling/texting from the US to the UK? I'm currently on giffgaff(o2 network) and might switch to t-mobile. Should I buy a sim card in the UK and use it in the US? I'm on pay as you go by the way. Or should I buy a sim card in the US and use it to call the UK? I've been away for so long I wouldn't even know if they still sell sim cards in the US. I didn't see any at walgreens or anything when I was there last.

What do you guys use when you visit?

Thank you!  :)
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

• Liked: 36
Hi

It'd have to be some sort of plan available in the US to call the UK for X cents/minute that you'll need to find/buy.

It also depends on how you wish to call back to the UK, if you want the flexibility of calling from a cell as you're out and about, it's going to be more expensive to do so than if you were perhaps to call on your computer/laptop using skype to skype for instance which would be free.

With the advent of tablet computers and android etc, also public wi-fi spots which are free, you could try making a skype call (or equivalent) when connected to such a spot - perhaps in a starbucks or mcdonalds etc.

If from your cell, then I'm sure there's some companies that offer discounted rates to call abroad - similar to the many we have here. Most likely pre-paid phone cards etc.

I haven't really needed to call back to the UK/home for any extended amount of time, so I just make a minute or two call to let everyone know im good. For my US to US calls, I just buy a pay as you go SIM (usually T Mobile). I'm back out US side in a couple of weeks time so will have a look to see if there's anything I spot which looks good for calls back to the UK

Cheers, DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• I miss people no matter where I live
  • Liked: 0
Ah ok thanks Dennis! :)
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013