Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What was your budget for your dress? What style dress did you get?  (Read 3481 times)

• Liked: 0
I was curious as to what sort of price range people paid for their dresses and what types of dresses people have bought for their weddings. If you don't mind me asking :)

Between visas, flights and a wedding, obviously I won't have a ton of money to spend on a dress. Regardless, I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money on a dress anyways. I was thinking a budget between $300-$700 for my dress.

I have been browsing wedding collections on websites like Nordstrom and a few others but none of the wedding dresses really caught my eye and most were way out of my budget anyways.

Recently, I went to a trunk show at a bridal salon that a friend works at. She showed me Lazaro bridesmaid dresses and they were BEAUTIFUL. I tried one on and fell in love with it, and it comes in ivory. The sample size was lilac so I'm trying really hard to picture it in ivory. Some of the sales women were saying that a lot of women who are getting married abroad or having a destination wedding will buy a bridesmaid dress as their wedding dress because they are cheaper and sometimes look like wedding dresses.

So I think this might be THE dress. I haven't stopped thinking about it. I also haven't actually tried on dresses that were actually in the WEDDING dress collection, so I should probably do that too before I make a final decision :)

I guess my biggest worry is that it might not look enough like a "wedding" dress or that it might shout "prom" or "bridesmaid". It's a really nice dress but it doesn't look "traditional" with a big poofy skirt or long train and all (obviously cause its a bridesmaid dress!) I'm also worried that I won't be spending enough, I know that sounds crazy, I am a cheap ass most of the time but I wanted to at least put some money into a dress. The total of the dress would be ~$200($300 retail but I could get discounts).

How much did you spend on your dress?? Has anyone bought a bridesmaid dress or something that wasn't a true "wedding" dress?

Thanks ladies :)

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
Re: What was your budget for your dress? What style dress did you get?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »
I'm not married, or even engaged ;), but I like unusual dresses, so I browse occasionally online (where I don't have to pay for anything, or worse, try anything on!).

Right now I'm eyeing this dress. I love the different colours, and the light/flowy fabric. Pretty much the only thing I don't love is the beading on the halter top part, but I'm hoping I could take that off and add my own embroidery or something.

I'm not viewing it as a "wedding dress", both to avoid getting my hopes up and to avoid jinxing anything ;), but I do think if BF and I got married, it's what I'd wear (assuming I buy it, of course). It's reasonably priced, and (I think) could serve as an all-around party/attend weddings dress down the road.

That said, I've always known I wouldn't wear the "typical" wedding dress, as anything white/ivory would make me look like a ghost. Yay fair colouring. ;)
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:09:54 PM »
Things have changed so much that I think any style, any color works these days. It seems to mostly rely on the personal style of the bride than the old tried and true bridal white. I am all for that. Not every woman wants to wear, or even looks good in white. I am so pale that white makes me look washed out and ill.

I'd say definitely go with what makes you happy in your budget. If you really love that dress, and still love it in ivory, go for it.

I don't think there really is a 'wedding dress' cookie cutter style these days, so anything you pick, as long as you are happy wearing it and feel confident in it, is going to be gorgeous.

We had our wedding all planned here, and I was going to buy a dress here to save from getting it crushed in my suitcase. Things didn't go as planned (I realize I needed to do a bit more homework than I did for my first visit, because I didn't bring all my documents) and we ended up getting married in the States. I wore a skirt I already had and LOVE with a new top, and was fine with it, because we ended up more or less eloping.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:19:01 PM »
I splurged on my dress so I am not the best person to ask. I went a bit nontraditional. Mine was knee length, white polka dotted with purple under skirting and a purple sash.

Funnily enough, I though I would end up with a completely purple dress but compromised with white because I though dh might be disappointed. Instead he was shocked it was white!

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 02:12:05 AM »
My mom was going to make my dress for my Vegas wedding, but things didn't exactly pan out that way. So the day before I left to get married, I ended up buying a 50 dollar dress at Nordstrom off the rack. I thought it was very Vegas appropriate. I think there are some pictures on this board somewhere if you want to have a look.
August 2008: Met on Facebook
February 2009: Met face-to-face in London, UK
March 2009 - September 2011: Visits back and forth
January 30, 2012: Married in Vegas
March 19, 2012: Online Application Completed
March 22, 2012: Biometrics, Docs sent (priority)
March 23, 2012: E-mail stating reception of docs
March 26, 2012: VISA ISSUED! :D
May 14, 2012: MOVING TO SHEFFIELD!
March 17, 2014: Passed Life in the UK Test!
June 14, 2014: ILR Approved!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 03:40:24 AM »
I'm also worried that I won't be spending enough, I know that sounds crazy, I am a cheap ass most of the time but I wanted to at least put some money into a dress. The total of the dress would be ~$200($300 retail but I could get discounts).

I don't mean this in an offensive way but wanting to put money "into" a dress is really silly, especially if you're happy with something much cheaper. It's something you wear once and with all of the other expenses, it's not smart to spend a lot of money on it, unless it would really make you happy. Have you read apracticalwedding.com? You should, if you haven't. Resist the urge to Buy All The Things. :) It sounds like you'll be happy with the ivory bridesmaid dress and you're worried you "should" be spending more. Stop worrying. There are a lot of wedding graduate posts on APW with brides wearing ivory bridesmaids dresses and they look gorgeous and perfectly bridal and guess what? They can pee by themselves, no need to take a friend! Meg, the main blogger at APW, just re-posted her bridal dress story a few days ago. I think she bought it for $80 at a vintage store and you know what? It looks great. 

• Liked: 584
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 06:53:59 AM »
I'm also worried that I won't be spending enough, I know that sounds crazy, I am a cheap ass most of the time but I wanted to at least put some money into a dress.

You're right... it does sound crazy!  ;)
Unless you're independently wealthy, without a care in the world of where your money comes from, or where it goes (and I don't believe you are!), then I think that saving money on the wedding wherever you can is the best idea.  As above, it's a dress you wear ONCE... who can really justify spending hundreds/thousands on that?

Get the dress you love!
It doesn't sound like it looks like a bridesmaid dress, but even if it does... who cares, if you love it?!

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 07:59:20 AM »
If you want it, get it! Don't worry about not spending enough. The dress that I really loved but could not get due to time constraints was about £1500 less than the one I ended up with. We had planned to courthouse it with a party later but my DH's mom/sister would not let that happen :P and instead we had to rush something together in about 6 weeks. I don't mind with most if it but I do regret not having "the" dress, even if it was 'cheap'.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:27:31 AM »
Everyone's right! It's your day, so wear what makes you happy.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 9
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 10:00:12 AM »
My mom was going to make my dress for my Vegas wedding, but things didn't exactly pan out that way. So the day before I left to get married, I ended up buying a 50 dollar dress at Nordstrom off the rack. I thought it was very Vegas appropriate. I think there are some pictures on this board somewhere if you want to have a look.

I've seen the pictures, and I absolutely love that dress!
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 10:13:24 AM »
The most important things IMO are buying what you love and can afford - the rest is nobody's business! The dress is supposed to make you feel good, not be a source of worry.  ;)

Alas, lots of pressures and expectations with weddings.  :-\\\\

Listen to your heart.  :)

And have fun!  :)

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 11:46:03 AM »
I spent about $200 on my dress, and it wasn't traditional (not a first marriage for either of us). I was married in a floor-length, amethyst colored, velvet dress. It had a long slit up one leg, wide straps, a sweetheart neckline and a matching bolero jacket.  It was so comfortable, the color was amazing, and I felt it was perfect for my middle-aged self. :)

If you love the dress, get it. The most important thing is not the money you spend on the dress, but how beautiful it makes you feel on your wedding day. :)
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 11:50:16 AM »
I fell in love with a dress that was £1200, but there was no way i was going to pay that although my wedding was actually underbudget in the end (bizarre), so I stalked pre-loved and ebay and ended up getting it from gumtree, it needed £60 worth of cleaning/pressing (I have the best company for this, they pick up and deliver and it came back looking AMAZING) and about £70 worth of alterations, I think all it it was like £400 or something (can't remember) but I really loved it. I nearly ended up going for something much cheaper (like £70) from Vivien of Holloway, and I don't think I would have regretted that either. I don't think you could tell mine was second hand at all, and I'm sure I could sell it for £300. If you love the dress and you feel good in it, buy it!!! Not everyone is a poofy dress kind of person, I loved not having a big train to sweep acorss the floor or trip over!

It was this one - http://dtcwd6mbn5kzl.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/50s-style-justin-alexander-wedding-dress1.png

EQ, I love that dress! Serious cleavage FTW!!! :)

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »
CB, your dress was amazeballs! I loved it. :) And yeah, I wouldn't have guessed that it wasn't brand new.

EQ, I love that dress! Serious cleavage FTW!!! :)

Haha, yeah, if I get it I might add a bit of extra cloth in that area so I don't look like a hooker. ;)
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 12:38:42 PM »
CB, your dress was amazeballs! I loved it. :) And yeah, I wouldn't have guessed that it wasn't brand new.

Haha, yeah, if I get it I might add a bit of extra cloth in that area so I don't look like a hooker. ;)

I'm not the best person to ask, I often look like a hooker, I wore a leather dress to work the other week!  (And I met a massive publisher in it, whoops!)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab