Sponsored Links

Topic: Overseas fees vs English Student/EU fees  (Read 1052 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Overseas fees vs English Student/EU fees
« on: April 22, 2003, 01:30:02 AM »
IF you are a resident here, my spouse is English and you want to attend university..will you still be charged fees as an overseas student - which are like 5 times more...or can yhou pay the cheaper fees...anyone have experience?  

maybe you have to be a citizen first to get the cheaper rate?

  • *
  • Posts: 662

  • Liked: 1
  • Joined: Apr 2002
  • Location: Notts via Lincs via Glasgow
Re: Overseas fees vs English Student/EU fees
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 04:44:58 PM »
When I checked into tuition last fall to do a PGCE I was told that you had to live here for at least three years to lose  your overseas qualification regardless of your marital status.  The problem then comes into play that everybodys definition of three years is different.  The home office said in the end that it is up to the local education authority for your county.  Some say it is when you first moved over.  Some when you first became a resident.  Apparently it is completely arbitrary, but a hard and fast rule none the less.

'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

  • *
  • Posts: 36

  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
  • Joined: May 2003
  • Location: Belfast
Re: Overseas fees vs English Student/EU fees
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 03:08:44 PM »
I finished my BA (Hons) degree and am presently doing my MSc in N.I. My husband is Irish but it doesn't make any difference. Under EU law you are entitled to all the same Economic and educational rights as your spouse - even before the 3 years. I got a letter from an immigration solicitor saying that and I was charged home fees even before the 3 years- (I am a dual citizen now - U.S./Irish). I included the letter with my application and brought it to registration.

Sponsored Links