Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Freeview  (Read 1637 times)

• Liked: 0
Freeview
« on: May 11, 2012, 07:36:31 PM »
So we bought a TV with built-in Freeview and were very excited to plug it in and connect to the "TV" socket on the wall (which presumably connects to the aerial).  But there is no signal coming through to the TV.  I've checked in the loft, and there is a big TV aerial up there, so I'm not sure why we're not getting any signal. 

I searched online, and found out that there are (rare) TV aerials that aren't compatible with the switch to digital.  Is there any way of finding out if our's is compatible?  I don't fancy paying someone to come round to look at it and tell us.  It's perplexing because presumably the previous tenants used it, unless they just used Virgin Media...

Re: Freeview
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 03:31:33 AM »
The aerial in the loft suggests that it connects to something.

It's unlikely that your aerial won't be compatible with Freeview but it could be:

1. Your socket isn't connected to the aerial.

2. Your aerial needs adjusting to pick up the signal

3. There could be a problem with wiring (ie. Broken wires)

Have you checked to see if you can tell where the wires run from the aerial and where to?

Are there any other sockets you could test it on?

If not, try moving the aerial around.

Another idea but may be a little messy......run a piece of aerial wire from the aerial down through the loft hatch (lose loose so you can test it), put an aerial plug on the end, plug it into the TV (which by this time will be upstairs!) And then try tuning it. If it doesn't work, adjust the aerial. If/when you get it sorted, plug the TV back in downstairs and test it. If it doesn't work, you know the socket isn't connected.  Messy but it's an idea ;-)
Steve :o

I am an immigration lawyer based in the UK. My participation at UK Yankee is not part of my job; I usually post here in my free time, though I can assist on a professional basis via my firm for visa/immigration applications and appeals if you think you need it - please feel free to PM me :)

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:31:20 PM »
You have to scan for channels....sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here!

I bought a new TV, connected aerial to wall, forgot i'd not connected to the TV and was thinking it wasn't working!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 11:08:42 PM »
Well, we finally figured it out - there was a "booster" switch in the cupboard under the stairs - never would have thought to look for that!

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:08:53 AM »
Haha. The simplest of things eh? ;-)
Steve :o

I am an immigration lawyer based in the UK. My participation at UK Yankee is not part of my job; I usually post here in my free time, though I can assist on a professional basis via my firm for visa/immigration applications and appeals if you think you need it - please feel free to PM me :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab