Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Stark choice under new immigration rules: exile or family breakup  (Read 5727 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Stark choice under new immigration rules: exile or family breakup
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2012, 02:26:08 AM »
What about couples who applied for a fiance visa at the age of 18, then the age limit changed to 21 after they applied for the Fiance Visa and then when they applied for FLR, and they were still 18 were they then deported? As that would be similar to a couple who apply for a Fiance visa who meet the current regulations but then do not meet them when they apply for the FLR right?

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2012, 07:58:27 AM »
So we paid for ours two weeks ago, did biometrics last Friday and the application probably landed on the consulate's front door today. I assume we are OK? I assume they can't deny us based on this nonsense? I used 15th of July as a date of travel I hope that doesn't affect it.

The way I see it, if we already paid and all that she can't sweep the rug out from under us so to speak.

What a horrible bigoted woman. How about catching the illegals who are already in the UK??? I knew of several when I was back home. The home office knew about them too. And no one kicked them out.

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2012, 08:01:18 AM »
Just saw that Theresa May will be on the BBC at 9 to discuss immigration changes. Will be watching.

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2012, 08:19:20 AM »
Just saw that Theresa May will be on the BBC at 9 to discuss immigration changes. Will be watching.

Here's the link for anyone who is interested: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jz5fh
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »
She's on Andrew Marr right now.
January 2012 - FLR(M)

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2012, 09:38:51 AM »
They are asking for 18,600 for a couple
January 2012 - FLR(M)

• Liked: 387
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2012, 09:48:25 AM »
IMO, there's no sense worrying about it until we officially hear what it will be and exactly when/how it will be implemented.  There's nothing being reported that we haven't already heard before, and personally, I think the news outlets are guessing at the magic number as there's such a discrepancy.  I would be surprised if there weren't transitional arrangements for those already in the pipeline... best to wait for more concrete details and formulate a strategy from there.

(though, it would be nice for it to go the way of BCI... geez, anyone remember that?)

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »
No word on transitional agreements (no suprise there), if I got it right LItUK tests might be expanded to all settlement visas (how will that work?), increased English language skills, and a reinterpretation on Article 8 - Marr focused on criminals, but May seemed to suggest those who cannot support themselves as well.

Hopefully the transcript of the interview will be posted soon for everyone to parse: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0080bbs/features/transcripts2012, and there is always waiting for it to go up on iplayer.

Of course there is no point in worrying over something we have little control over, but given all the delays and half starts it's nice to hear something more concrete from a repersentative of the goverment. Also, I think it is hopefull that they seem to have backed down from the 25,000 amount.
January 2012 - FLR(M)

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2012, 10:13:11 AM »
No word on transitional agreements (no suprise there), if I got it right LItUK tests might be expanded to all settlement visas (how will that work?), increased English language skills, and a reinterpretation on Article 8 - Marr focused on criminals, but May seemed to suggest those who cannot support themselves as well.

Settlement applications from outside the UK? (I'm presuming so since settlement applications from within the UK already require a KOL/LITUK pass)  Hmmm.

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »
Settlement applications from outside the UK? (I'm presuming so since settlement applications from within the UK already require a KOL/LITUK pass)  Hmmm.

I think what it may mean is that everyone who applies for ILR has to pass the LitUK test. At the moment, I think there are other options for people.

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2012, 10:54:59 AM »
The only thing I'm taking as a certain from the interview is the minimum threshold of 18,600, but even that will be open to interpretation I'm sure.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2012, 11:43:33 AM »
Yes, be aware that "settlement" has several meanings in the UKBA visa lexicon.   ILR is known as settlement (which is why the form is called "SET(M)"), but spousal/fiance visas are also known as "settlement" visas, even though a more correct name would be "visas which lead to settlement".   So it's not clear what TM is saying here.

I think she's saying that to get ILR you will need to meet both the English language requirements, AND pass the LiUK test (currently you only need one of these)

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2012, 11:55:36 AM »
I'm wondering if this will also apply to those with special circumstances that, as of now, don't have to take the test (humanitarian leave, discretionary leave, bereaved partners, domestic violence victims, etc).  I wouldn't be surprised, actually. 

As of now, I believe if your English is below a certain level, you can take certain English/citizenship classes in lieu of LITUK.  If we're talking in-country settlement, I presume this won't be an option anymore.

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »
Considering the number the UKBA themselves have published, hitting this part of the family migration route isn't even going to have much of an impact so far as cutting numbers goes

Family settlement is one of the biggest routes for bringing people into the UK--that's why they're targeting it.

unless they're hoping to push UKCs with non-EEA spouses out of the UK, which is looking more and more like what 'they' are trying to do.

This is exactly what they're trying to do. It is not unheard of for governments to promote emigration in times of economic turmoil. Also by setting a high salary requirement, they're guaranteed to keep the wealthier families. They don't want poor immigrants bringing more poor immigrants. They want investment in the UK, not people who will just get by. It's unfair, but that's what they want.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 12:55:09 PM by rynn_aka_rae »
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2012, 01:10:24 PM »
I'm wondering if this will also apply to those with special circumstances that, as of now, don't have to take the test (humanitarian leave, discretionary leave, bereaved partners, domestic violence victims, etc).  I wouldn't be surprised, actually. 

As of now, I believe if your English is below a certain level, you can take certain English/citizenship classes in lieu of LITUK.  If we're talking in-country settlement, I presume this won't be an option anymore.

I think that's what she means. It was in the consultation document, actually - everyone getting ILR would have to pass the LitUK test, and they wouldn't allow those "lower" qualifications to count any more. Remember, the LitUK test is also seen as an English language test.

Sponsored Links