Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: phd funding  (Read 1524 times)

• Liked: 5
phd funding
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:58:56 AM »
i am in the process for applying to admissions to phd programs and of course i am looking at funding. For Americans who studied in the Uk at this level how did you fund your education.

I am hoping i can find enough grants to cover me so i wont have to take out loans but i have no clue if that will work out. I am getting nervous about it.

if you know of any grants please feel free to tell me.

I think i hit the most commons (fulbright, british commons etc)

thanks
live, love, laugh

Jan 2013 - Tier 4  Student Visa
Mar 2015 - Met Him
Dec 2015 - Engaged
April 8 2016- Wedding
April 11 2016- FLR (M) -Sheffield

• Liked: 0
Re: phd funding
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »
I applied for a Fulbright a few years ago, and I must say that if you'd like to apply for it for next year, get started now (or ideally several months ago).  I didn't get the award, but I didn't start on my application until late, and I didn't have enough time to perfect my proposal.  I would suggest getting in contact with someone at the university at which you'd like to study and find out what projects are going.  This will help you get started on a proposal.  I'm probably telling you things you already know, and if so, I'm sorry.  I just remember what a stress it was when I started on my application so late.

As for other things you can do, I would definitely contact the department you are wanting to join.  The department and the international rep at your university can help you loads if you let them.  I'm not working on my PhD, but I was able to get a scholarship for half of my tuition thanks to my international rep's help (and a very well written essay haha).

If the department knows that you are serious and motivated, they will be willing to help you.

Amy
University of Strathclyde, MSc Sustainability and Environmental Studies: beginning Sept 2012

• Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 08:27:20 PM »
Thanks. I already started on my fulbright application. I have to go AT-Large since i graduated last year and stuff.  I been in constant contact with the 4 universities I am applying to. Since I am going for my PHD i have to make sure my research would be accepted and the schools.

I think I have found a few grants through google (if i can find a kicka** grant writer) given through the National Institute of Health I can apply for.
live, love, laugh

Jan 2013 - Tier 4  Student Visa
Mar 2015 - Met Him
Dec 2015 - Engaged
April 8 2016- Wedding
April 11 2016- FLR (M) -Sheffield

• Liked: 13
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 07:23:08 PM »
I'm an American that just finished my master's here in London and am about to start a research PhD in the UK.

The university itself is fully-funding me as they were very interested in my research! I may need extra funds to completely cover the cost of living, and so I am currently looking into taking out (more) US Fed. loans to cover this. The loan process is the same exact process as if you are attending a US graduate  programme IF the university is one of the one's that has a direct partnership with the US fed Direct Loans programme.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab