Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: :/ change of plans  (Read 1272 times)

• I miss people no matter where I live
  • Liked: 0
:/ change of plans
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
Hey guys,

I've just got a letter from uni of kent that says if I become a student this year, I'd be considered an overseas student but if I defer for next year, I'll be considered a home student. So I'm going to defer because that's a lot cheaper!

However just some visas issues here: Because DH will definitely be going to get his masters there, we wanted to stay in halls but because I'm not a student they told me that only his name can go on the lease and they're fine with me living there too. That somehow seems like it will be bad to submit for my ILR next June. He'll be living off our savings while I look for work but I'm just really worried about everything.  Are there any flaws in our plans or anything that will possibly get my ILR refused? I can't do this visa thing again, it's been so hard and expensive. I don't even fully know the new rules really.

Any help would be greatly appreciated  :)
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

Re: :/ change of plans
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:34:33 PM »
Hey guys,

I've just got a letter from uni of kent that says if I become a student this year, I'd be considered an overseas student but if I defer for next year, I'll be considered a home student. So I'm going to defer because that's a lot cheaper!

However just some visas issues here: Because DH will definitely be going to get his masters there, we wanted to stay in halls but because I'm not a student they told me that only his name can go on the lease and they're fine with me living there too. That somehow seems like it will be bad to submit for my ILR next June. He'll be living off our savings while I look for work but I'm just really worried about everything.  Are there any flaws in our plans or anything that will possibly get my ILR refused? I can't do this visa thing again, it's been so hard and expensive. I don't even fully know the new rules really.

Any help would be greatly appreciated  :)

Relax :) As long as you will still get bank statements or some other mail addressed to you/ both of you, I am sure you will be fine to prove that you live together. When I applied for ILR they took just our life insurance and sky bills as proof of our residing together, so it wouldn't of even mattered if my name was on the lease or not.

Because you are already in the UK, the new rules will not apply to you (ie- you will be applying on the rules that were in place when you entered the UK).
LLR Oct 2009, ILR Nov 2011, Citizen June 2013
DH's Greencard May 2013- back in the USA Aug 2013!

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:09:27 PM »
Yep, I was never on the lease. (And we never even had jointly addressed mail.) You should be fine!

• I miss people no matter where I live
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:40:57 PM »
Thanks you two! :) I can breathe again. I just need to make sure I find work before we run out of money *gulp*.
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 04:01:46 PM »
No worries! I even forgot which floor we lived on during the citizenship interview--didn't seem to matter. I think they are more human than not over there--even if the policies feel so terrible!

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »
GG, wondering how you are getting on with all these changes?

Hope some goodness is going your way.

Sponsored Links