Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Requirements for mobile phones?  (Read 1842 times)

• Liked: 0
Requirements for mobile phones?
« on: July 17, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »
I've heard that getting a mobile phone in the UK without residency status can be difficult.  I am going to be in Europe for nine months, going in and out of London the whole time.  So, I am looking to get a smartphone to use while I am overseas, one with an unlimited data plan.

I'd love to get some suggestions as to what hurdles I'll have to clear on my way to getting a phone, what plans might be best for me, and any other related bits of info that might come to mind.

Thanks!

Re: Requirements for mobile phones?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 05:14:43 PM »
You should have no problems getting a pay as you go phone or SIM card.

Although not exactly the same question, the answers in this thread should prove helpful: UK cell phone companies
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:18:04 PM by Cali Girl »
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

• Liked: 163
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 05:18:07 PM »
Getting a mobile phone on a contract can be a pain, but you can get a pay as you go phone pretty easily.  If you're only going to be around for 9 months, it might be a better way to go.  The down side is you'll probably have to pay for the phone rather than getting a free one like you could on a contract.

A couple of places to start looking/comparing are Moneysavingexpert.com (click on Ulitities/Phones and then Mobiles) or the Carphone Warehouse.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 04:32:57 AM »
Thanks for the tips!

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 04:03:08 AM »
Quick question?  Couldn't an unlocked phone serve just as well for a pay as you go phone?  I plan on purchasing an unlocked iphone before I leave that way I don't have to worry about purchasing a phone and the only headache would be to do the pay as you go.   I would assume that the pay as you go plans offer plans for people who already have their phones?

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 04:58:19 AM »
I have an unlocked US iPhone that I use pay as you go with O2. Works perfect when I'm there. As long as it will take a sim card it will work.

• Liked: 584
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 06:21:31 AM »
Quick question?  Couldn't an unlocked phone serve just as well for a pay as you go phone?  I plan on purchasing an unlocked iphone before I leave that way I don't have to worry about purchasing a phone and the only headache would be to do the pay as you go.   I would assume that the pay as you go plans offer plans for people who already have their phones?

Yeah, you would just buy the SIM card.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 06:56:31 AM »
Make sure its a triband phone, 4G is not available yet in the UK. You can also try a month to month plan, which will get you data and a set number of minutes.
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 08:17:07 AM »
I have an unlocked US iPhone that I use pay as you go with O2. Works perfect when I'm there. As long as it will take a sim card it will work.

Thanks so much.  Sigh of relief. One less thing to worry about.

Tracey: thanks for the response

rynn_aka_rae:  I am assuming triband phone means 3G?

• Utter Nonsense
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 01:33:28 PM »
Thanks so much.  Sigh of relief. One less thing to worry about.

Tracey: thanks for the response

rynn_aka_rae:  I am assuming triband phone means 3G?

Tri-band means it can be used on various frequencies of GSM bands. North America uses a different band to Europe. More info here:

http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=136

Tri-Band

A GSM phone that supports three of the four major GSM frequency bands, and will therefore work in most parts of the world.

Of the four major GSM frequency bands, 850 and 1900 are the two bands used in North America. 900 and 1800 are the most common bands in other parts of the world.

There are two major types of tri-band GSM phones: European and Americas.

European tri-band phones support the 900, 1800, and 1900 frequency bands. Therefore they provide complete coverage in Europe, Africa, and Asia, and work on at least one network in most countries in the Americas.

Americas tri-band phones support the 800/850, 1800, and 1900 frequency bands. They provide complete coverage in the Americas, and will work on at least one network in most countries in Europe, Africa, and Asia.

Also, if you bring your smart phone over, you can use GiffGaff and for just £10 a month gets you unlimited web, texts and 250 minutes. To call the States, you'll just need to add some credit and can call or text for about 8p a minute/text, or just use Skype. You can also tether with GiffGaff for an additional data topup starting at £5, so no need for a dongle. They also offer BlackBerry support for an additional £3 each month. If you use the link provided, youll get £5 credit added automatically and when you join. After you join, you can refer others and both earn £5 credit for each person referred...

GiffGaff uses the O2 network, so if you know where youre moving to, can use their post code checker to confirm coverage in your area

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 01:27:37 AM »
Kerri,

Thanks so much for the info! One less thing on my list to worry about :-)

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 06:08:27 AM »
I've heard that getting a mobile phone in the UK without residency status can be difficult.  I am going to be in Europe for nine months, going in and out of London the whole time.  So, I am looking to get a smartphone to use while I am overseas, one with an unlimited data plan.

Definitely just bring your phone with you and if you can't get it unlocked here, you can definitely do so there. PAYG is cheaper than contract, hands down. Though check the rates for calls/texts - they'll go up the second you step foot out of the UK.

One note about GiffGaff, the sim has to be mailed to you since it does not have a brick and mortar shop. A slight pain to wait -- and difficult if you don't have a set address.

• Utter Nonsense
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 12:19:22 PM »
Just thought I'd add this link. As of August 2012, these are the best smartphones on a budget (under £130) if you're looking to own your phone outright, instead of paying it over a long term contract..

http://recombu.com/news/best-budget-phones_M18275.html?

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »

I'd love to get some suggestions as to what hurdles I'll have to clear on my way to getting a phone, what plans might be best for me, and any other related bits of info that might come to mind.

Thanks!

I use an unlocked iPhone in the UK with an Orange "Camel" sim. I did have to cut the  sim card down to size but that wasn't difficult. The cost of calls back to the USA is actually cheaper than calls within the UK. Also, you may not be aware that in the UK you are not charged for incoming calls so the number of minutes used will be lower than in the USA.

For my iPad I purchas a Pay As You Go Sim 3GB for £20.49 which lasts for 3 months, great for long stays and you can top up when the remaining data is low.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab