Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pledge of Allegiance and OTT Patriotism  (Read 5631 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: Pledge of Allegiance and OTT Patriotism
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 06:58:03 PM »
A schoolmate of mine who I recently reconnected with at our unofficial reunion dinner shared on facebook a photo of children reciting the pledge of allegiance from a facebook group called American and Proud with the words "LIKE if you did this every morning in school and think that they still should!"  Now I did do that every day in school but was under the impression it was still done in schools now. 

So I read some of the comments.  Most seemed like me to be under the impression that kids in American schools still did, there were lots of "my kids do" or "my school district does" etc.  But some of the comments deteriorated into the sort of...well... blind over the top patriotism is the only way I can describe it.  The USA USA USA LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT sort of thing.

Like this:" Yes they should it just shows respect for our county. They don't mind getttung the free services they get here. If they don't want to live here and our ways rge plane goes back to were you came from Than leave. Please

or this, from an Australian commenting on the rise of patriotism there . "I do believe every child irrespective of color or creed should take part in the morning pledge to the flag. IF parents find this offensive I would invite them to settle overseas in a nation that fits their requirements."  Yeah like it's THAT easy.

or this rather xenophobic one:
"i dont think r children should have to do anything they dont want to like having to learn a language that not american we do live n the us right i wood rather home school mine then have them go threw these pissy ass schools" Er...has someone not paid attention in ENGLISH class?

It makes me sad that there are people that think Americans should always 100% support everything the government does and never have a differeng opinion or belief or else be considered un-american and told to get out.  :(

Of course that sort of people probably think I'm un-american for moving here and becoming a British citizen  ::)

Never ceases to amaze me how ignorant people can be. When I was in school we always did the pledge, but again we weren't forced to say the words or anything. Not sure how it is now though. I have to say, I have never really understood taking pride of your nationality.
Because I believe pride should be reserved for things you achieve on your own; being American isn't some kind of skill I achieved, I just happened to be born in America. I know that's rather not patriotic and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "Oh I hate America." Quite the opposite, I love it here. I have my minor complaints about the country but that's everywhere and this is my home. I just get a little weirded out when someone says "Oh I'm proud to be such and such a nationality." Oh.. okaaay then .. :/
Probably a controversial thing this post is but, ah well, that's how I personally feel about it. There's my two cents :B

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 06:58:57 PM »
I was just thinking about another similar thread on UKY from the distant past, where someone had said that they had difficulty with the notion of 'being proud' of being an American, or British, etc, because where you come from is just an accident of birth... nothing to be 'proud' of because it's not something that you have actually accomplished.

I cant remember all the details, nor the discussions that followed, but just throwing it out there in case any of you had thoughts on this...

Oh hey, you posted like two seconds before me! Ha, sorry about that, you basically said what I said in my post.  :-X

• Liked: 585
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »
That's ok... when i saw your post, i thought you'd got there before me!

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 07:11:19 PM »
I was just thinking about another similar thread on UKY from the distant past, where someone had said that they had difficulty with the notion of 'being proud' of being an American, or British, etc, because where you come from is just an accident of birth... nothing to be 'proud' of because it's not something that you have actually accomplished

That would be me. I don't think anyone agreed with me! ;D

The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Liked: 585
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 07:22:21 PM »
That would be me. I don't think anyone agreed with me! ;D

I did!  :D

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 07:24:43 PM »
Courtney!!! Well said!
It is a location! Luck of the draw!

Look everyone... Me and Tracey actually AGREE on something!

Hi Tracey... xoxoxoxoxo!  ;D
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »
I did!  :D

Sorry!  :-* 

Yup. Still not proud. But then I can get hung up on semantics and have been accused of being too serious and "un-fun".  ;D
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 08:13:14 PM »
The club grows! Mandyboo, Tracey, Laramascara, and George Carlin! Are you in as well chary?  :)

• Banned

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »
Oh my gawd - I'm in a club with George Carlin.

THAT IS FAB!!!!!!
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2012, 08:45:22 PM »
I'm not one for joining clubs, but FWIW, I agree with Courtney too. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Banned

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2012, 09:41:11 PM »
Are you in as well chary?  :)

I'm a joiner.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2012, 10:18:29 PM »
I'm an early adopter in the club as well :)

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »
HA! George Carlin is my god. Glad someone recognized xD Yay a mini club, highfives all around!

Sponsored Links