Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Adjustment phase when you finally move over?  (Read 4805 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Adjustment phase when you finally move over?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 08:48:32 PM »
I say go for it!  There's another UKY member (female) here who plays cricket and hockey and has made TONS of friends through her sport.  I know her real-life name, but I can't remember her UKY name.... hopefully she will see this and reply!

OneTiger? 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 08:56:30 PM »
Just a quick flicker of pedantry to say that Scottishness and cricket aren't mutually exclusive!  ;)
My Scottish boyfriend played cricket at school, and for his district up to his mid-20's.  And we live about a 5-minute walk from the West of Scotland Cricket Club, so we sometimes pop up and see what's happening when there's a match on.

I say go for it!  There's another UKY member (female) here who plays cricket and hockey and has made TONS of friends through her sport.  I know her real-life name, but I can't remember her UKY name.... hopefully she will see this and reply!
My scottish husband found this a strange statement.  Cricket is certainly played and enjoyed by the Scottish.

Funny! DH just doesn't have any interest in it, I guess. I don't think he ever saw a match or was exposed to it growing up. I think I always thought of cricket as more "English" as opposed to Welsh or Scottish (or Irish). Of course, what I know about cricket- well, I don't really know anything about cricket except they have bats and run around and around. :P DH knows even less, I suspect. ;)
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 08:58:01 PM »
And Tracey, I vaguely remember who you're talking about. I remember her talking about joining the hockey team. It was ages ago, though! Good to know there are women's cricket teams. I will see if my good buddy Google can help find one near my post code!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Liked: 0
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 07:55:05 AM »
Look at the website for your local Cricket club and see what they offer for adult teams. I just happened to see one of the women wearing her club shirt on Sunday while watching my step son practice and mentioned to DH that I thought I should play Rugby. Later he was chatting with another member of the ladies team and introduced me and I took it from there. Yesterday I went to the team website (Eastbourne Rugby Club) and discovered not only the ladies team but several for men as well. So now I am pushing DH to do it as well as he played as Captain of his University team. ;)

I went out yesterday and got the cleats and the socks, forgot the mouth guard. So I may have to go out today and locate those. Plus since I don't have shorts or a shirt I might as well get those too. Though I am sure they will want me to buy the club kit soon. :)

Another plus is that I will have to take the bus to practice on Thursday as it starts at 7 and DH does not get home until then. So it has the added benefit of making me figure out the bus, something that I've not been wanting to.

Looks like we have about 1 friendly match a month so that's good. :) Easy commitment!
June 1989: 1st time we met.
June 2009: Reconnected... yes on FaceBook.
Jan 2010: he invited me to the UK by saying "get your ars* on a plane!"
May 2010: I arrive in UK for visit.
April 2011: ask him to marry me.
May 18 2

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab