Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Accidental Accent  (Read 13118 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Accidental Accent
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »
I was in London last week and a shop keeper asked if I was from New Zealand because of my accent. (US Midwest) given my history of picking up accents when I live in different areas of the US I am sure I'll start to sound British at some point. I know I still sound American for now because in a shop yesterday when asking for a dressing room the person in front of me whipped her head around at the sound of my voice so fast I thought her head would pop off.

I said "Cheers" to another shop person a couple of weeks ago and DH laughed and started to take the piss because he'd never heard me use it before. I just looked at him and said "You take the piss because I'm an American and now you take the piss because I'm trying to fit in!" :)
June 1989: 1st time we met.
June 2009: Reconnected... yes on FaceBook.
Jan 2010: he invited me to the UK by saying "get your ars* on a plane!"
May 2010: I arrive in UK for visit.
April 2011: ask him to marry me.
May 18 2

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 07:34:04 AM »
I've been living in the UK for 6 years and as far as I can tell, my accent hasn't changed at all and I don't expect it to.  As an adult moving to the UK, I don't think your accent will change much.

My friend who lives in the US is from Cornwall and has lived in the US for 20 years.  She came over in her early 20s.  She sounds completely Cornish to me with not a trace of an American accent.

Picking up local lingo, words, expressions isn't the same as having your accent change.  Of course we all end up using those expressions at some point, though probably not all of them.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 07:43:47 AM »
Andee, "As an adult moving to the UK, I don't think your accent will change much" is actually scientifically untrue.
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 06:15:28 PM »
Andee, "As an adult moving to the UK, I don't think your accent will change much" is actually scientifically untrue.
Hmmm.  Well, mine hasn't changed in 6 years.  :-\\\\
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »
I've also been here 6 years.  When I go to Scotland I develop a different pattern to my speech (more sing-songy), but I don't have an accent.

• Liked: 27
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 09:46:39 PM »
I've been in the UK for over a decade and although my vocabulary has changed quite a bit, my accent hasn't really changed that much.  American friends/family would say it's different but the one thing I hear over and over is how I still sound 'so American.'  For myself, this isn't any conscious choice to not change my accent-besides Skyping with family/friend in the States, I rarely speak to other Americans-husband, friends, co-workers, etc., are all British.  I would expect that if I'm here another decade it'll change a bit but I really can't see myself getting the full accent! I probably learn a new way of saying something each week (any newbies over here heard a Brit say 'lasso?') but it usually doesn't mean that I partake!

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
(any newbies over here heard a Brit say 'lasso?')

Hee. I just made DH say this for me over skype. ;D Now he's making fun of me for laughing at him for how he said it. I pointed out that the American pronunciation is phonetic! I couldn't imagine how else it could be said! lol
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 847
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 10:13:56 PM »
Hmmm.  Well, mine hasn't changed in 6 years.  :-\\\\

I honestly think it depends. Some people morph without realising it and some people never morph.  I know of a few folks from various countries whose accent has never changed and others who it becomes different.

Even my Dad, grew up in the southern US, but has lived 'up North' for more than 1/2 his life. So he sounds quite generic (I don't have a Massachusetts accent either!) except for when he gets around family or friends from Maryland/Virginia/West Virginia/Georgina/Northern Florida - he morphs and doesn't even realise it.  

Likewise, I know people who have lived in California for 20 years but grew up in Massachusetts and have never lost their Massachusetts accents....  

Meanwhile, today on the phone with someone I confused the heck out of someone who was like, 'Your accent is throwing me off.  You sound Scottish, but not quite. I'm very confused!'  I had to giggle.  

So you my dear, are probably someone who is just not prone to these things.  Go you, never change your beautiful self!  

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2012, 12:05:47 AM »

???

There can't possibly be scientific facts to back up something that is so subjective. Many people's accents won't change at all, just as others' will change very quickly.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2012, 08:51:25 AM »
Exactly, and it is not age related.
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »
(any newbies over here heard a Brit say 'lasso?')

Not in real life but I heard Paddington Bear say it in a cartoon. I will have to ask my Mister to say it tonight.

• Liked: 585
Re: Re: Accidental Accent
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »
I'm not a newbie, but i dont understand what you guys mean about 'lasso'...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2012, 12:40:49 PM »
I asked Scottish DH to say it and he said "lassooo" (emphasis on the last syllable!) The word is lassoh (emphasis on first syllable and an OH sound at the end. Not ooo.) it was cute!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Liked: 585
Re: Re: Accidental Accent
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 12:57:36 PM »
Oh i see what you mean now! I guess i have heard it said that way for the last 26 years, so it doesnt sound odd to me anymore! Och well...'lasso' isnt a word you use in everyday conversation anyway.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 05:46:31 PM »
I can't remember the last time I said lasso or lassoo! But I just asked my husband how he pronounces it, and he said lassoo. Then I asked my American houseguest, and she also said lassoo. So now I'm even more confused!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links