Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Missing California  (Read 2425 times)

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
Re: Missing California
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2004, 04:11:19 AM »
Joanne,

Big (((HUGS))) to you.  It sounds like you've been through a massive amount of change in your life the past few months.  I can't even imagine moving here and having a baby so soon after.  Congratulations!  :)

Yes, it will get better....no you're not crazy for feeling the way you are....and yes, a lot of us have been in your shoes.  After 15 years in the US, it is perfectly understandable to feel sad about the life you left.  But it will get better.  Honest!  :)  Just hang in there and give yourself credit for having made such a big decision and for being so brave.  This is a big thing, pond jumping.  Part of you will always miss the life you left behind, but the longer you are here, the more your British life will start to feel more settled and part of you.  You will get used to things here.  :)

Oh I know I shouldn't go into this, but it's late (or early now, I suppose) and I just can't help myself.....

I've been here for 6 weeks and im loving every moment.

Can I ask....are you here indefinitely?  Or are you planning to head back to the US shortly?  Reason I ask is that in my experience (having been here for 3 1/2 years now) people who are young and only here for a wee while tend to have your attitude about this sort of thing.  I can understand it, but you need to realise that you have no idea what you're talking about.  Six weeks is nothing.  You're still in the honeymoon phase of this experience, and if you're planning on going back even in a year or two, your experience and approach to this country will be very different from anyone who is here for the rest of their life. 

Suggesting that people who need counselling or are unhappy initially should just move back to the US is really unfair and comes across as being very rude.  It isn't nice to be so flippant about something you can't yet understand.

Give it time....you too will go through moments of feeling sad, and yes, even a bit regretful about this place and the decision you've made once the glitter and shine wears off a bit.  Give it a few more months...wait until something happens back home and you can't be there....wait until your family and friends stop being interested in your new experiences....then you can advise people on this experience and talk about the move without coming across as being naive and rude.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 04:40:07 AM by Wishstar »

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2004, 11:20:15 AM »
BritBound - I noticed that about Long Beach and OC, too. I must be getting old. In my day no one wanted anything to do with anything behind the Orange Curtain.  8)

Wishstar  - much more diplomatic than what I would have been and you said much of what I was thinking. It was the 18 years old that made me give her the bye-ball instead of laying into her ignorance; I reckon if you are doing something like this when you're 18 you're not as fully formed an adult as those of us who made the jump much later, and the whole loss of identity hits you in a different way, as the move at 18 is part of what creates your adult identity. Kind of like if you go away to college - maybe the worst she'll experience is gaining the freshmen 10.  ::)   (God love her if it's only 10lbs she gains here!)

Although I do wonder how shouting OC FOEVAH will play 6 months from now.....if she's still here.

--

The mourning is very real, once you get past the honeymoon phase and realize this is permanent. The novelty of all the different things is gone when it is your life now and not a holiday. When this dawns on you, you start to miss things from home in a different way, because part of you knows you won't really ever get to see/eat/do/feel those things again, or often enough. You start to realize how lost you are in this new place all on your own, for even with your partner you are on your own in ways you did not count on when you thought moving here would be fun. If this happens to you in the winter time you are in for a double-whammy, because winter, especially for us California girls, is tough. We are used to sunlight, and there's precious little of it in the winter. Now I think the winter is beautiful here but those first few years it was hard going and I've been lucky because I have been able to go home during the tail end of winter last year and that helps break it up for me. And the rain here, which I thought would be really romantic before I moved here, is not like the rain in OC. You can't even really hear the rain here. But I digress.

I was pregnant in my first year here and I know how tough that can be. It's two major changes to your core identity that you are handling, one on top of the other, and if you haven't family here, it's largely without any support - all your trusted friends are back in the states, your mother isn't here with you nor any other family, and your husband/partner is only good for so much - you need a different sounding board. That's why these expat sites are a real lifesaver for so many of us. Even just reading them helps, just seeing you're not crazy for what you're feeling, is a huge huge relief.

I mention the pregnancy because on top of the mourning of the loss of my old home and self, it was mixed in with all the thoughts you get being pregnant about your own childhood, and for me it was really sad and scary knowing that none of the things I grew up with and was thinking of in a hazy hormonal wistful light my baby would know. She'd never have summer days at the pool like I did, or barbeques in the park, or peanut butter and jelly at the beach. And I realized that in a sense I'd be growing up with her because I'd be learning all these new things about living here along the way just like her. I don't know about the school systems, or where the parks are, or what the kids do, I learn as my daughter does them. All of this sort of thinking throws you a bit.

But it does get better and the key is accepting this is where your life is now. It's easy at 6 weeks to say you've done that but you haven't a clue at 6 weeks.  I'm coming on 5 years here now and have made my peace with my life here. It took me about 3 years and going home to get settled, but I had a real plateful of stuff in those first couple years. Never once did I think I would just pack up and go back. But the whole depression and isolation and mourning did throw me for a loop for awhile. I didn't expect the culture shock and the loss of my sense of self. Now I feel much more grounded and have accepted myself being here. Or found myself? Not sure what the right word is but basically, it is a process you go through and there is light at the end of the tunnel!

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2004, 11:59:08 AM »
Again... you guys have been absolutely amazing and have made me feel so much better  ;D I don't feel as 'crazy' anymore, I've taken a deep breath and I am ready to carry on and get on with this English winter that's fast approaching. I remember as a little girl winter was actually my favourite season, I'll let you know if that still applies  :-\\\\

I love you guys and feel like I've found another home here  ;D
Joanne

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 12:37:43 PM »
When I was 18 I moved to Dublin, Ireland to be with my guy, and I was there for over a year; I've been living in Leeds, England now for almost two years and am moving back to Dublin this Saturday.  The entire year I was in Dublin the first time, I was miserably homesick, and so was the girl from New Zealand we shared our house with.  She and her husband moved over together and the two of us bonded in our culture shock and hatred of Irish weather.  Both of us had days when we'd just curl up in bed and cry, and the phone bills were always really expensive and there were always letters pouring in through the mailbox because we both made sure to keep in touch regularly with all our friends and family back home.

At the end of 2002 we decided to leave Dublin and our first choice was to move to Chicago.  We got all the immigration papers in order, started going to the Embassy for interviews, when suddenly I realized that I was letting the homesickness get the better of me.  Even my relatives, who missed me very much, encouraged me to stay overseas as long as possible so I could enjoy all the sights and pleasures of Europe that are so close by.  After talking it over with the husband, we decided to make our move to Chicago a Christmas visit instead, and moved to Leeds.

That first year in Dublin was almost unbearable for me.  There were times when I really wanted to seek therapy I was so depressed and felt so detached from everything (I'm incredibly shy and find it really difficult to make new friends when I move).  I hardly even left the house the entire time, but I'm glad I didn't just pack up and go home.  I'm really, really glad that I decided to stay here.  I still get homesick for Chicago sometimes, and I'm hoping to go back for a visit next summer, but it's not the same crushing feeling I used to get.  Things are still difficult for me and I think I'm only just crawling out of my shell over here (my husband remarked while we were in Chicago for Christmas 2002 that seeing me interact with my family and friends over there was like being around a completely different person - I'm much more outgoing and confident there than I am here.  That is what culture shock can do to a person; I didn't realize that his friends and relatives would be so incredibly different from mine as a result of the country they grew up in, and I found it almost impossible to communicate with them - blunt, silly, and outspoken atheist American girl + quiet, old-fashioned Irish Catholic family =  :-\\\\ ).

Chicago will always be home for me, but now I know I can live without it.  I can be independent, even if growing up hurts sometimes.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 01:12:02 PM by Lindsay »
I am following my fishie la la laa because my fishie knows where to go!

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2004, 01:31:26 PM »
Brtibound - you've been here 6 weeks and you've forgotten what county Long Beach is in?
as for the main part of your post ...   :-X

[smiley=laugh3.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

As someone who grew up 'behind the Orange Curtain' (although Laguna Beach - the 'last liberal spot in OC).... and who's mother grew up in Long Beach, I HAD TO LAUGH.

(What's that quote about youth....?)  ;)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• Out of Dodge
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2004, 04:14:23 PM »
Just to add - I don't think it helps that 'everyone' and I mean 'everyone' who we meet likes to say, 'why on earth did you move here?' or 'are you mad?' Gets old after a while.

It also doesn't help when they go on after you've given your reason (true love etc...) and mention the weather. "Don't you miss the weather in LA?"

Hell yes!

Would I trade it for my husband?

Hell no!

(missing Cali too... now I'm off to work in a smokey pub.  :P)
"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2004, 12:28:09 PM »
I have to laugh when I read about the "honeymoon phase."  I skipped over that one completely and went straight to depression/resignation with an accompaniment of holiday planning escapism.   :P

• In Love With A Flyin Man*
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2004, 04:35:55 PM »
wow. i didnt realize how rude i came off until i came back and read my post, i must have been on a stupid pill *lol*. So i must apologize for the out-right rudeness, i never meant to attack the way anyone felt. Yes i do realize that long beach is L.A. county and not Orange... i left from Long Beach but lived in Huntington beach and just obviously got confused.

As for others attacking the fact of my age, i found a bit rude myself but then i had to re-examine my own input and see how it was taken before flying off the handlebars.

I understand the "honeymoon phase" is happening for me right now but im also a levelheaded person and i know what to expect. It will be hard and im just trying to brace myself for that mountain. Already i have been informed of things happening that i cant help with and it drives me crazy. I also keep in mind that even though the move is for good, the option of visiting is not off the books. I plan to visit next September. My whole out look on people 'mourning' or seeking 'counselling' was simply, "why chose to remain here if you're SO unhappy?" i know you cant just packup and go back in a heartbeat but thats what i had to do to come here. I packed up and came over (thankfully with a british citizenship under my belt) in a few weeks notice. Now my situation over in the US was the worst so the move over here is a huge whiff of fresh air. As for school, im already enrolled for a apprenticeship and am working towards my future life.

in general im just a bit spiffed at the fact that everyone honed in on the stats of myself: 18 years old & been here for 6 weeks (longer now). That really shouldnt be a fact of mine you should be paying attention to. Yes, i am young but im not 4 either. I understand more than you must think i do. And its the basis of this being a open discussion that i said anything. I think if i will be openly picked on repeditively, i'll be the one to bite my tounge.

I expect to recieve negative feedback on this entry as well but who knows, maybe someone can see where im coming from as well...
How empty can my world be if you're the biggest thing to me?

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2004, 05:00:47 PM »
Fair play to you for looking at things from a different angle. I made the comment about your age and length of time for two reasons. First, as someone who's been here coming on 5 years, how I felt at 6 weeks is nothing compared to what I have been through since. You can't judge, after less than 2 months under your belt, how the permanence hits you. It is a mourning, because everything you've known is gone, but you don't really realize that for a long time. Various things factor into how you cope and how things hit you - but the short amount of time you've been here doesn't put you in a position to pooh-pooh anyone's depression or isolation. I hope you don't have to go through it, but it does happen to a lot of immigrants, and being made to feel as if you are the only one feeling these things does not help as you are already isolated enough. Anyway, talk to me after you hit the 2 year mark and let me know how you've gotten on, I think you'll see what I mean then.

Secondly, your age; obviously I don't know you or your history or why/how you came over here but I do know that 18 in general is pretty unformed and far more open to a new life than someone in their 30s, 40s, 50s is, and moving to a new country at 18 is much more of an open-ended adventure than the adventure it is for a 30 something woman who has uprooted from a career mid-stream and has to start all over again, from a base-position that can put her experience at less than what an 18 year old is able to bring to the table. And the odds on uprooting again a few years later and moving back or moving to another country are more in favor of the 18 year old than the 30 something. So I mention your age in giving you the bye-ball in how you were viewing the advice on how to cope - you're bringing your eyes, fresh and open, 18, to a new experience you haven't a lot of knowledge of yet; this is why I thought your age and length of stay were relevant to factor in with why you came out with what you did.

Anyway,  fair play to you and I hope you don't find this too negative. Don't feel you have to bite your tongue, just lay off the stupid pills before you post!!! (teasing)   ;)

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2004, 05:10:39 PM »
Whoops.  Missed this thread before.  I'm hoping things are going better for you ukmisgirl.

Britboundbeauty.  I think we do understand where you're coming from.  But I think not just your age and the length of time you've been here might be making a difference to your outlook and experience.  You've mentioned that you have a ready made family here-and that's your own family, not in-laws.  But also I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong that you came over with your parents.  So what is very difficult for some people-missing their family-is not something you're going through.  It's a hard decision to move to a different country-and when people chose to move they're aware of what they're leaving behind.   And quite often it's a choice they make between their partner and their parents.  And it's a decision that's made within a couple-one of the partners in an international relationship is almost certainly going to have to seperate from their family and friends.   So the 'just move back' may not be an option.  And 'mourning' and seeking counseling aren't such terrible things, are they?  They're just steps people take in order to move on.  We can't just keep going back or giving up when things get tough.  We'd never get anywhere.  
Try not to take this as an attack on your age and experience.  It isn't.  And don't rush the growing up.  What we all wouldn't give to be 18 again!  But just realize that you might not have all the answers.  

• Liked: 2
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2004, 07:33:07 PM »
What a lovely post, Mindy! Couldn't have said it better myself.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2004, 07:38:42 PM »
Thanks Hopster.   :)

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2004, 07:48:29 PM »
What we all wouldn't give to be 18 again!

And live through that again! No thanks! Turning 30 was a goddess-send. ;)

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2004, 07:50:37 PM »
Oh, I don't know.  I'd like to be eighteen for awhile, but only if I could know then what I know now.   ;)

• Liked: 8
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2004, 08:14:12 PM »
Oh, I don't know.  I'd like to be eighteen for awhile, but only if I could know then what I know now.   ;)

Exactly.  Eighteen wasn't too terribly long ago for me, but I've learned so much since then and I know that moving to the UK as an 18-year-old would be a tremendously different experience than it was for me as a 25-year-old.  I'd love to go back and slap my 18-year-old self in the head sometimes!   ;)  I've had eight more years of life experience/mistakes/learning and I still don't know what I'm doing half the time!   ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab