Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Don't even know where to begin  (Read 4265 times)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
Re: Don't even know where to begin
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 04:48:46 PM »
This is a bit off-topic, but in the US is an institution only a university of it offers graduate degrees (and doctoral degrees?)?
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Liked: 4
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Smith offers graduate programmes.

I've never, ever, ever met ANYONE in academia who was unaware of Smith College.

And I've worked in universities in Egypt. They KNOW Smith College.

It is a research university, and the professors are ALL published, multiple times over, in ALL the BEST academic publications.

My mistake.  Usually when a school's name is 'College', it means it doesn't offer graduate degrees.  My husband went to Amherst College, for instance, which is not a university and does not offer degrees beyond the bachelor's degree.

I've met lots of people who have not heard of schools such as Smith, Amherst, Williams, etc.  Both in the UK and out of the UK. Your mileage may vary, of course.

But I have to disagree that Smith is a 'research university'.  A research university is a place like MIT, Michigan, UC Berkeley, etc.  Smith is a liberal arts school, not a research university. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:03:22 PM by geeta »

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 05:01:03 PM »
This is a bit off-topic, but in the US is an institution only a university of it offers graduate degrees (and doctoral degrees?)?

In the US, a university must offer graduate degrees.  A college is usually a stand-alone institution or a unit within a larger university.  So for instance, Harvard College is a part of Harvard University.

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »
I think you must have Smith College mistaken with another school that does not offer graduate degrees or have ongoing, collaborative, world renowned research... 

http://www.smith.edu/deanoffaculty/sro_introduction.html

http://www.smith.edu/deanoffaculty/sro.html

http://www.smith.edu/academics/academic-life/research

http://www.smith.edu/world/faculty_research.php

And, I'm done chatting about Smith, because even with my fancy education, I feel like I am going to fail my Life in the UK test, AND... remain unemployed in the UK... FOREVER... !!!

:P

“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 05:23:39 PM »
No, I know Smith very well.  As I said, my husband went to Amherst, and he took classes at Smith, and I have a number of friends who went there.  It's a liberal arts school.  Liberal arts schools are ones that focus on undergraduate education, and that is what Smith is committed to (it says so right on its webpage).  Look at the US News and World Report's rankings - it's on the 'Liberal Arts College Rankings' list, along with Amherst, Williams, Pomona, Colby, Haverford.  That's exactly what it is.  It's one of the Five Colleges - of which the only university is U Mass - Amherst.

On its Wikipedia page:
Smith College is a private, independent women's liberal arts college located in Northampton, Massachusetts, United States.

I don't disagree that it's a great school.  It's just not classified as a research university, even if its students and faculty conduct research.

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
Sorry for beating a dead horse, but there are actual classifications of what a research university is, as defined by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.  A doctorate-granting university:

Includes institutions that awarded at least 20 research doctoral degrees during the update year (excluding doctoral-level degrees that qualify recipients for entry into professional practice, such as the JD, MD, PharmD, DPT, etc.). Excludes Special Focus Institutions and Tribal Colleges.

This category is broken down into Research University (very high research activity), Research University (high research activity), and Doctoral/Research University.

Smith falls under the following category: Baccalaureate Colleges (Bac/A&S: Baccalaureate Colleges—Arts & Sciences)

Includes institutions where baccalaureate degrees represent at least 10 percent of all undergraduate degrees and where fewer than 50 master's degrees or 20 doctoral degrees were awarded during the update year. (Some institutions above the master's degree threshold are also included; see Methodology.) Excludes Special Focus Institutions and Tribal Colleges.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »
And, I'm done chatting about Smith, because even with my fancy education,

You sound a bit defensive, if you don't mind my saying so!  ;)

I have an Ivy League education and I certainly wouldn't expect people in the UK to have heard of my university. Hell, I know plenty of people in the US who haven't heard of it.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Banned

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
HIYA!

I was trying to read my Life in the UK book but Geeta tempted me back with her fab info. Thanks for posting that info, and no I am not being sarcastic AT ALL, it was really interesting to me! I'm totally googling "Tribal Colleges" later today! And I see what you mean by 'Research Colleges' totally being something different!

Chary - I'm not defensive of my education, or even my brain, or my knowledge, but I have a HUGE HUGE HUGE soft spot for Smith College because they give so many scholarships, and they are so supportive to graduates, and I just loved it there - So, yes, I have a crush on Smith College - lol! Sorry if I sounded defensive!

I mean, Harvard gave me a full scholarship too, but, they were not as supportive as Smith is, simply because it is a huge school, and therefore not possible.

I'm sorry. I'm a freakin' nerd. I know. I admit it. Seriously, I reacted like, "OHMYGAWDHOWCANANYONENOTKNOWABOUTSMITHWHENITISLIKE THEBESTPLACEONEARTH" which is... Very mature of me... NOT!

:P

PS - I took a few classes at Amherst. GREAT SCHOOL.
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
I find it strange that anyone would be concerned that someone (even a hiring manager) would have heard of their school.  I went to a College in the US that I can guarantee no one has heard of and was employed within five weeks of moving here. A "fancy" education or even an education from a British University doesn't necessarily make one more employable.   

Back to the OP:  Mandy, study abroad programmes vary greatly between schools.  Is there someone you can speak to at the Community College you are looking into?  That would be your best bet.

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 07:20:19 PM »
Thanks for that geeta, I really didn't know what defined a university in the US.  I went to Moore College of Art and have a BFA.  It's a really good school and I'm pretty sure it's the only all-women's art college in the US.  But I don't expect anyone outside the US (or even outside of the tri-state area of PA, NJ, and DE) to have heard of it, even if you're in the arts.

That being said I don't consider it a 'fancy' education, but it was a very good one.  For what it's worth I studied my butt off for the Life in the UK test.  Of course I forget all of it now, but I did have to study in order to do well.
Married October 2007

• Banned

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 07:24:42 PM »
Well, it could be said that nothing specifically "necessarily makes one more employable" right?

It all depends on an multitude of factors.

I know 2 people who are very smart, and very successful in business, and have become millionaires, who never finished high school.

Anyway, if someone is applying for a position, it is not 'strange' that the applicant would like for the person making the decision to understand their qualifications. Because... the outcome, the decision, is 'qualification' dependant, right!? That is why when we are applying for a job in an English speaking country, we send CV's in English... rather than in, oh, I don't know... Swahili?

Andee, Moore College of Art is a great school!!! My god daughter just got accepted there! But she decided to go to Cooper Union, where I used to work, because she wanted to stay in NYC.

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 07:31:28 PM »
Andee, Moore College of Art is a great school!!! My god daughter just got accepted there! But she decided to go to Cooper Union, where I used to work, because she wanted to stay in NYC.
Oh cool, you've heard of it!  Congrats to your god daughter, how exciting--art school in NYC!!
Married October 2007

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
I'm sure this has a lot to do with one's field (and Mandy, I am sorry, I dont know anything about the speech therapy field, but I know someone who is a speech therapist in the UK if you wanted to PM any questions and I could ask her).  I work in non-profit, and of the 12-15 or so interviews I attended here, not one asked me specifics about my education. My experience has always been that as long as you have a degree, your professional experience and passion for what you do is what counts.

• Banned

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 07:39:41 PM »
"My experience has always been that as long as you have a degree, your professional experience and passion for what you do is what counts." - Mirrajay

And I believe that THAT is how it should be! In all fields!

But, sadly, it's not.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »
"Historeen?"  Come on. 

I agree that unless you actually work in academia, a degree is a degree and no one cares much where it came from.  Experience and specific abilities count for more.  I've never had to explain my education either, though I did go to universities for both BA and MA. 

However, having some sort of UK qualification can't hurt.  I did my English teaching certificate in the UK, and for all I know that may have helped me get my first job here.  I think it had more to do with the position requiring fluent French, but who knows?  Ultimately, you need to go to the school that offers the best programme for your field, be it in the US, the UK, or Timbuktu.   
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

Sponsored Links