Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Kitchen-Aid mixer  (Read 8563 times)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Kitchen-Aid mixer
« on: September 25, 2012, 02:30:56 AM »
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I can't recall if there was a consensus, so I hope no one minds revisiting it.  My mom wants to get me a Kitchen-Aid mixer for my birthday, but she wants to get it from the US since she can order it online and it's so much less expensive than in the UK.  I think I recall someone saying that running a US mixer on a transformer in the UK will kill the motor, but then someone else said that wasn't their experience.  Anyone have any light they could shed on this?  Would using a US mixer in the UK with a voltage converter damage the machine? 

Thanks!
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 0
Re: Kitchen-Aid mixer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 02:38:53 AM »
I cannot comment about the voltage.  But, I do know that it has to remain perfectly upright the entire time it is in transit.  If it isn't, the oil leaks out of the head thereby voiding the warranty and leaving it unusable (metal grinding on metal inside).  I had a lovely roommate that laid mine on its side and it ended up binned. 

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:25:59 AM »
Don't get a US one, spend the extra money and get a UK one, the transformer itself is risky and expensive and I have had friends tell me that the motor isn't as strong as it should beaut that's just anecdotal.  Surely it's worth the extra money for her not to carry it with her, it's a very heavy piece of kit.  Also, if it breaks in the UK you wil struggle to get it fixed.  Someone just posted on another forum about that.  I got mine on amazon and I thought it was resonable, not us prices, but reasonable.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 09:41:06 AM »
I'd agree with racheeeee ... though I do know people who use their US KitchenAids with a transformer and have no problems whatsoever. But for me it wasn't worth the risk. I left mine behind (to a lucky friend!) and bought another one when I got to the UK.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 09:49:34 AM »
I've been using mine with a transformer for almost a year and have had no problems - and if the oil leaks out, it is fairly straightforward to replace (as my husband had to when we shipped it here). That being said, we're planning on moving back to the states at some point and therefore don't see the need to buy a UK one just to turn around and sell it again. If you plan on staying in the UK, get one that's wired for UK use. Just my opinion :)
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." - e.e. cummings

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »
It's definitely cheaper to buy a Kitchen Aid mixer in the US but has your Mum factored in the cost of shipping it to you?

We've moved around a lot so I have different voltage appliances and use those ugly, prone to getting rather warm transformers, but would recommend the correct voltage appliance if you are planning on staying in the UK.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 06:51:58 AM »
If you were moving your entire household from the US to the UK, then I would say use a transformer, just making sure that you have one that will actually run your appliances. Little transformers don't work for big appliances, and big transformers are expensive. Again - if you have multiple appliances, and are bringing everything in a container (as we did), then it's more cost effective to buy one good transformer and use your US appliances.

BUT - for a new purchase, buy it here. Cost differences notwithstanding, the benefits far outweigh the cost.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 765
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 08:24:02 AM »
Not that I use mine all that often, but I use my US kitchenaid with a good, heavy duty transformer (bought secondhand off another UKYanker) and I have no issues using it.
I would have to agree about checking that buying it in the US in indeed value for her money, rather than just getting a UK one.  

Though I am a bit worried now about this whole oil thing- Goodness knows which angles my mixer has gone through over its lifetime.....  I may be having a problem soon.... 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 08:38:14 AM »
I definitely hear what you all are saying, and if it were just a question of a few pounds, I would be all for buying a UK one.  But they're going for four hundred pounds on Amazon compared to three hundred dollars in the US.  With the current exchange rate that's twice the price! 

We may have to give up the whole idea. 

Thanks for your input everyone. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 765
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 08:41:05 AM »
Wow, that's a huge difference.  Well, If its amazon, she can definitely check if its worth the shipping costs, etc and if it still works out.  It still may be in your favour!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 10:59:44 AM »
Also bear in mind, if she's shipping it over, that you could be faced with customs charges at this side for such an expensive item.
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 03:11:45 PM »
Just in case you're still thinking of getting the mixer, here's a comparison site that might be worth checking out: http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sp/kitchenaid-mixer-best-price.html .

• Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »
I definitely hear what you all are saying, and if it were just a question of a few pounds, I would be all for buying a UK one.  But they're going for four hundred pounds on Amazon compared to three hundred dollars in the US.  With the current exchange rate that's twice the price! 

We may have to give up the whole idea. 

Thanks for your input everyone. 

More than Twice the Price!!! I paid $229 for my KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixers- Green Apple on amazon last May and it came with an extra glass bowl and a rebate to boot so no way am I leaving it behind, it will be worth every penny of what a good top quality transformer will cost, to replace my mixer in the UK would be £399.91 on amazon and about the same at Debenhams.

so for a total of of $387(and that is if I bought the transformer in the UK for £99)  vs $754 the UK one would cost me.  I will take my chances on my US one and save the extra $367 especially since others are using their Kitchen Aids with no problems.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »
Or you could get a UK mixer that isn't Kitchen-Aid:

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 06:43:01 PM »
I have a Kenwood that I got this time of year on sale and it has been working well so far.  Currys usually has them on sale.

Sponsored Links