Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Driving in the UK  (Read 4800 times)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: Driving in the UK
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2003, 12:00:38 PM »
Worth noting that cars have these newfangled turn indicators now...  

Some Lincoln Continentals still lack turn signals.

;)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• JennyI
  • A Stranger in a Strange Land

• Obamarama
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2003, 01:21:47 PM »
I have actually used the 'turning left' hand signal when were stopped at a traffic light on a bright sunny day, people behind me might not have seen my left indicator flashing, so I learned, if its a bright day, people may not see your indicators so its wise to use a hand signal. I never see other drivers using them, only cyclists.
The arm signals here are simliar to the ones back home.
Yes, it is harder to pass with the introduction of the hazard perception test. I studied for two months and I still barely passed the HPT, I got 46/75, the pass mark is 40.
I go on a learner driver forum and a lot of people on there have trouble passing the HPT as well as the multiple choice but they tend to miss the multiple choice by only a little whereas they tend to miss the HPT by a lot.  :(
BTW, they are adding a simple mechanics portion to the practical test as of September 2003 so if I fail my test in July I'll be stuck doing that by the time I get another test appt.  
:(  >:(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 01:24:03 PM by mrs_kev »
Good things come to those who wait...a really long time.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003, 08:55:39 PM »

Some Lincoln Continentals still lack turn signals.

They do?  :o    ....... Or do you mean they don't have separate yellow turn signal lights as opposed to having the left/ right brake signal flash?  ???
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 08:56:39 PM by Mr_Val »
Richard

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2003, 09:00:13 PM »
[smiley=devilish.gif] It's a joke. An evil stereotype.
People in particular types of cars tend not to use turn signals.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2003, 09:02:43 PM »
......Yes, it is harder to pass with the introduction of the hazard perception test. I studied for two months and I still barely passed the HPT, I got 46/75, the pass mark is 40. ....

I'm not familiar with that, how does it work?  

I am thinking that they show you picutres and you have to identify potential hazards?  The Saturday Daily Telegraph used to (and I presume that it still does) print a picture in its motoring section and a motoring expert would pick out all the risk factors - junction, tree on outside of bend, child, ditch, blind brow, no passing zone, etc.
Richard

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2003, 01:53:17 AM »
Regarding the remark that you have to wait for ages to take the theory test, I live in Hemel Hempstead and I got my test very quickly on the exact day and time I requested. I never had to take it three times as was also mentioned, it was straight forward if you learn the Highway code and I passed first time.
I am here as a teacher and I have been tested and scrutinised before I was qualified here, despite teaching for years in Ohio.I believe that as an ex patriot that you accept the regulations of the country without complaint, as you would hope that others would do in our country.

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2003, 02:10:11 AM »
Regarding ...... I believe that as an ex patriot that you accept the regulations of the country without complaint, as you would hope that others would do in our country.

Idgie, you're my hero!  ;D  

There are things I don't like or agree with, but this is my home (NC, USA) and I don't ever expect to live in the UK again, so I have to accept local laws and customs, no matter how loopy some of them seem.

I am certainly not going to live my life importing groceries from the UK in large quantities, nor pining for things I left behind, nor complaing about things being different here.  But I am proud of my heritage and the coutnry where I was born, and I'll make sure my children know about their ancestry and my home country.
Richard

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2003, 02:11:20 AM »
[smiley=devilish.gif] It's a joke. An evil stereotype.
People in particular types of cars tend not to use turn signals.

Oh!  :D  ..... they're like minivans then?  ;D
Richard

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2003, 11:01:20 AM »

..... they're like minivans then?

Ummm, no-o-o-o-o, actually I was making fun of US cars being driven in the US by Americans. I was poking fun at my own culture. The only Lincoln Continentals I know of here are US imported Limos and I think Limo drivers here are contientious enough to use their turn signals.

Sorry, the Lincoln comment is one of those things, like an inside joke with everyone, IOW... I grew up around people making fun of the fact the drivers of Lincolns tended not to use turn signals. Sorry the joke was lost on you, Mr_Val.

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2003, 10:06:13 AM »
Minivan drivers don't really strike me as being posh...or posh-wannabes. That was my point. Not being thoughtless drivers, but rather feeling they are "above" the rule because of circumstance. In this aspect a minivan just doesn't equate in my head. Hard to imagine, say, Donald Trump driving a minivan, for instance. (Though I rather suspect he doesn't drive a Lincoln Continental either...the joke has aged a bit, as well as this explanation of it.)

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2003, 05:01:33 AM »

I am certainly not going to live my life importing groceries from the UK in large quantities, nor pining for things I left behind, nor complaing about things being different here.

That's not meant as a shot is it?  ???

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2003, 05:40:53 AM »

That's not meant as a shot is it?  ???

It wasn't meant to be, just a statement of my philosophy; but I can see you might think so, now that I look at it again.  :-/

How about, "I think America is great, and, on balance, I prefer living here"?  ???
Richard

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab