Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: In-law issues  (Read 1187 times)

• Liked: 0
In-law issues
« on: October 01, 2012, 04:57:07 PM »
I married my husband not too long ago and today he tells me that my mother-in-law believes I'm after his money. I live in his parents' house with him and ever since I got here, I have tried to help out with the house chores and even offered to do more, but she believes I'm some sort of mind reader and that I shouldn't have to ask if there is something I could do for her. My husband and I can't get a place of our because of the rent people charge. He and I noticed how she's becoming impatient and we feel like anytime soon she is going to kick us out for no reason. I don't know what else to do. I honestly thought she and I were getting along...

• Liked: 585
Re: In-law issues
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »
So if you and your husband can't afford to pay rent... where is all this money that he's got that you're meant to be after?  ???

Honestly... people.

I don't have any advice for you, but when I got together with my current boyfriend, one of his friends said i was a gold-digger because at the time I was newly unemployed and my boyfriend has a good job.  We have now been together almost 4 years, and the comments seem to have stopped.  The only thing I can really say is that time will tell and hopefully your MIL will see that she was wrong about you.

Why on earth did your husband tell you this, anyway?  It's not like it was ever going to help the situation at all!  >:(
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 05:09:56 PM by Tracey »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 847
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:23:57 PM »
We have a thread for you (The UKY inlaw venting thread) a few further threads down:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=52543.0

When I first started dating J, his Mum thought I was after his 'money' too (and probably a visa).....  What money it is, I don't know, because I sure haven't seen it!!! 
 4 years on, I know she doesn't think that anymore, but I have no idea how I would be able to live with her. We're polar opposites and I'm sure we would have murdered each other.....
So no advice really, but I'm sure those who are married and live with in-laws (or used to) can help! 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »
Tracey: I have no idea why she thought I'm after his money til my DH told me she mentioned about my parents sending me money which is my parents' wedding gift to him and me. He told me because we promised each other that we wouldn't keep secrets from each other.

phatbeetle: I didnt realize there was another post til after I created this topic.Sorry! This can be closed and forgotten. I'll vent in the official UKY in law thread for now.

• Liked: 19
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 04:44:59 PM »
You have my deepest sympathies.  I live with my MIL as well, and it's not always been easy. 

Luckily, I really don't know exactly what she thinks/says about me, because it's always in gaelic.

And people wonder why I'm in no hurry to learn... :p

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 01:49:39 AM »
Ack. I could NOT imagine living with my MIL. My deepest sympathies!! I hope you and husband can find a place of your own soon!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 07:26:00 AM »
Thanks ladies. The worst part is my MIL is in crutches because of her knees and she won't accept my help with anything or let me do all the house chores. She is so stubborn and then makes me feel terrible to see her in pain. I would've told her it's her fault, but my FIL did that for me and she was speechless and upset that she skipped dinner and went to bed. What hurts me the most is that she treats my BIL's wife (long story short, she never got along with her when she became pregnant while dating my BIL because she always gave my MIL one word response which annoyedmthe hell out of her) like she has helped her more than I ever did.

Good news: My husband told me he would have enough for a down payment on a house before Christmas!!!! We've been eyeing those new houses being built in Trowbridge which is far away from here.

Sponsored Links