Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Workers and their Tea Breaks  (Read 7820 times)

• Liked: 0
British Workers and their Tea Breaks
« on: October 12, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »
First, I have had some wonderful experiences in the UK.  The folks at the library here are great and I have joined a few of their groups.  The people at my storage facility are FABULOUS, they moved my stuff from one expensive big unit that the movers moved my stuff into to another smaller unit that was cheaper.  They moved the stuff for free and carefully packed it so it would fit in the smallest unit they could and gave me 10% off too. So yes, some good experiences...

Having said that.  The two times we have had men do physical labor for us they have been the laziest I have ever seen.  The movers that were hired here and the council flat workers that came in to do some stupid repairs on the flat (required things not something we asked for) complained after barely getting started that they would need a tea break.  Now I am not talking complaining after a few hours, I am talking after 30 minutes of beginning work saying, "Oh I need a tea break." Then taking 20 minutes to kick back and drink MY tea.  Then a few more minutes of work and again another tea break.  I couldn't believe it.  In the 45 minutes they took to empty my container the movers took THREE tea breaks.  The men that came to install sheetrock on the ceilings in the closets needed 2 breaks in their 2 hours of work (they arrived first thing in the morning so it wasn't like they were working all day either) and they left midway and came back hours later to finish up.  I have no idea how they get away with this kind of attitude if they are getting paid by the hour.

And the council flat workers were about as nosey as you can get.  Constantly asking what things were for.  "Why do you have a hook here?"  Duh, to hang things?  "What does this cord do?" It is for the security alarm.  "Why do you have a vent here? " It's for the dryer ventilation.  Then they started to look around the flat and question things on my husband's desk  "Oh were did you get that, I didn't know they made that."  They do in America. "How much did that cost?"  Etc etc.  I am so glad I closed my bedroom door.  And the language they used was horrible.  Constantly dropping the F bomb and not one phrase could be spoken without some form of cursing involved.  And one guy felt the need to suggest things like perhaps the tool hooks were to chain me up and then he made suggestive movements of a stripper along with humming some stripper song.  What happened to professionalism?

So now I wonder if they are isolated incidents or a general cultural work behavior.  What ever happened to the guy that came and did his job and then left asap?

SealieP

• Liked: 1
Re: British Workers and their Tea Breaks
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »
I think as Americans we expect everybody to work really fast and to get things done as soon as possible. As a whole I think our culture is a bit impatient about things. When I told my fiance's friends about how we barely get vacation time they were kind of in shock. I think businesses in America actually take advantage of the American work ethic and work people harder than they should and give barely anything back. With all of that being said from what I observed on my visits over to the UK people tend to be a bit slower about things and not as rushed. I'm sure that's not true everywhere over there but I really noticed how the pace of things was more laid back. It's just something you have to get used to and it's not always a bad thing. ;)
August 8 - Completed fiance application
August 14 - Did biometrics
August 15 - Paid for priority processing and sent application
August 16 - Application arrived in New York
August 17 - Email recieved that application was opened
October 8 - Email that fiance visa was approved
October 9 - Got my visa! :-)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 02:56:17 PM »
The very first fight my husband and I got in was because of a worker coming to our house and us not having any milk in the house to give him tea and DH having to go out early to get some ::) I was like, What do you mean, we have to give him tea?

I have since found that, indeed, the best way to delay the tea-breaks is to offer them a cup when they arrive.

We had roofers who stopped halfway through our job to go get a sandwich and work on another job, which I thought was a bit annoying. I mean, lunch, yes, but I'd really rather the hole in my roof be fixed before you go off to do whatever else.

All in all, I think it depends on the workers you get. We had some brilliant decorators who drank loads of tea, but kept working while they did so ;) And an even better plasterer who came with his own flask and had the room finished before going for lunch--we're having him back next week.

If you're not happy with their breaking habits, I wouldn't have them back again.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 03:03:35 PM »
See I'm the opposite....I like to chat, so am constantly brewing up and offering tea and biscuits....

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 03:15:19 PM »
This really drives me nuts (why would I pay you to drink tea and dirty a mug for me to wash?), but I've accepted it as a "when in Rome..." thing, so I reluctantly always offer tea and then curse under my breath whilst making it.   My favourite workmen are the ones who bring their own tea in a thermos thing - they will get my repeat business!

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »
Wow, Sealpoint, you sure had some bad luck with those workers.  I truly haven't experienced that at all, and hope that anyone else who comes to work in your house is a million times more professional. Don't accept less!

We've had 5 visits from workmen, and 2 from our dog groomer. All drank tea while they were here, but did so while they were working. None took actual breaks, but most were here just over an hour, and once for nearly 4 hours. They were extremely pleasant and professional.  The one that was here 4 hours raved about our biscuits and wanted to know where we got them. Another one commented on our wedding cake topper that we have on display (custom made to look like us, with me holding an American flag and DH holding an English one). That was about as personal as any of them got.

I don't mind offering workmen refreshments, and I like chatting with them as long as they keep working (or just take a short break.) When I was in the US, we were having massive internet problems and a guy came the day after Thanksgiving. He was at my house for 6 hours. He had 2 cokes, a cup of coffee, and a turkey sandwich with all the trimmings. ("Do you want stuffing in this?" "Extra gravy?")  I was treating this guy GOOD so he'd make sure it was fixed!! I couldn't be without my internet with my love in the UK! :D  (He actually asked if he could come back the next night for dinner, as I told him I was making turkey chili. LOL!)

British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 03:37:43 PM »
I think you just have to accept that the tea-break is a cultural thing. I like it, but you might not - still, it's the way it is.

My favourite handyman, Eugene, doesn't drink tea or coffee though! It's a miracle!

But even though I'm happy for the tea breaks, I would have something to say about the constant swearing. Sorry you had to put up with that.  :(
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 03:53:25 PM »
Yep, the whole tea thing is definitely cultural. I can't imagine offering someone in the States something to drink that was working on my house...unless it was really hot and then maybe some water or lemonade. Here though....I ALWAYS make sure to have tea and milk if someone is expected to do some work here. Of course its normally my land lord who is a friend and he just helps himself, to tea, biscuits, brandy...........
As for the swearing...I've only ever had really polite workers that way and if they were swearing I would ask them to stop as we don't swear and I can't stand the sound of it. If we're out and about there's nothing I can do about it...but I can ask you to stop in my home. I'm not a goody goody but swearing just makes people sound so unintelligent. Find a better way to express yourself I always tell my kids.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/03/2012-Email from UK Consul General application needs further processing will receive decision within 10 working days.
02/09/2012-Request for more payslips and custody papers for daughter.
02/22/2012-Submit the requested documents with prayers.
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued :)
03/12/2012-Arrive in MAN UK :)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 04:20:08 PM »
All in all, I think it depends on the workers you get.

Yes, this!  I understand it's a cultural thing, and I have no issues at all with it, in general.  I'm usually keen to have any tradespeople working on my house staying happy, so I'm generous as far as offering tea & coffee, I also offer biscuits, etc.  However, Sealpoint, it does sound like those workers were taking the p*ss a bit with you.

We had some brilliant decorators who drank loads of tea, but kept working while they did so...

We have just recently had a new bathroom installed - so this involved a plumber, a plasterer/labourer, a tiler, and an electrician.  The prices for the work were already arranged & agreed - so if they wanted to spend hours or days doing a particular task, that was up to them!  They all took coffee or tea (and biscuits) & just kept on working while they were drinking it, because they wanted to get the work done sooner so they could move onto the next one.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 19
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »
I haven't noticed the tea break thing as much.  Long lunches, and lots of hopping from job to job, but not the tea break thing.

Of course, that may be because it's like pulling teeth to get anyone to show up and do a job (or even give an estimate for a job) in the first place!

In some cases, it's taken years of phoning different contractors before anyone's wanted to take on the job, and this is despite everyone being supposedly desperate for work.

It's not just builders, plumbers, electricians, etc. either.  My husband's never managed to get a driving instructor who can be bothered giving him lessons.  And then, of course, there's the state of customer service in shops.

All in all, I've said that I've never had to work so hard to find someone who was willing to take my money.  I may get used to it, eventually, but I'll never stop thinking that it's just ridiculous.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 05:03:14 PM »
If you're having trouble finding good tradesmen, I'd recommend mybuilder.com. You enter a brief description of the job you have, along with your location, and different workers can contact you through the website to express interest in it. I've had really good luck with it and have even passed on workers I've found this way to friends.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 05:04:21 PM »
Woadgrrl, some of that probably has to do with your remoteness (where you live), doesn't it?  Maybe there just aren't as many about?  Which sucks.  :(
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »
Just read A Year in Provence. Apparently the French are even more laissez-faire.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »
I can't imagine offering someone in the States something to drink that was working on my house...unless it was really hot and then maybe some water or lemonade.

Honestly, I can't imagine not offering something. My parents always did and I followed suit when I grew up. I guess my reasoning is that they don't work in an office and don't have access to a water cooler/coffee or tea pot, so I enjoy doing this little nicety for them. The mailman used to stop for cold water sometimes in the summer. Maybe because my mom was old-school Italian descent. She was always trying to feed everyone. :D
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »
Honestly, I can't imagine not offering something. My parents always did and I followed suit when I grew up. I guess my reasoning is that they don't work in an office and don't have access to a water cooler/coffee or tea pot, so I enjoy doing this little nicety for them. The mailman used to stop for cold water sometimes in the summer. Maybe because my mom was old-school Italian descent. She was always trying to feed everyone. :D

Yes, but normally, at least from what I've experienced, they have their own drinks with them. Either in a thermos or whatever. I wouldn't really have a problem with offering drinks...as I offer it here, I just never had the need in the States as they always came with their own drinks or food I guess is what I meant.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/03/2012-Email from UK Consul General application needs further processing will receive decision within 10 working days.
02/09/2012-Request for more payslips and custody papers for daughter.
02/22/2012-Submit the requested documents with prayers.
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued :)
03/12/2012-Arrive in MAN UK :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab