Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can anyone think of any positive reasons I should study overseas?  (Read 1659 times)

• Redirecting Chaos: Rebuilding My Life After Losing My Job, Car and Fiance
  • Liked: 0
Am I crazy for wanting to pursue a PhD overseas?

About six years ago, I had an idea to study psychology so that I could help veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).  I was in the military at the time, and it seemed then that the counselors who were most helpful were the ones with a military background.  Well, I set that idea on the back burner for four years, but now I'm thinking of seriously pursuing it in the UK – I'm interested in researching how culture affects vulnerability to issues such as PTSD. On the other hand, there's this nagging little voice that says I should study in the U.S. part time while working full time, along with family and friends who are pushing me to go to American schools.

So...can anyone here help me out and think of any other positive reasons I should go overseas?  I've already applied to Glasgow; I just need a reason to go or decline if they accept me.

Here's my list of cons, pros and other:
Cons:
I don't have a boyfriend or DH over there, so no guarantee I could stay after graduation.
It would be horribly expensive. However, this could also apply to most American schools.
I'm in my early forties.  People are telling me that's too old to go back to school.

Neutral
No guarantee of a job (but that is also true of the U.S., especially when I've seen insurance companies that limit psychological visits to once a month.)

Pros:
I don't feel I really belong in the U.S., if that makes any sense.
I could probably finish more quickly, as I would have to get a bachelor's in psychology, ergo, I would have to add two years to the two years for a Master's and then two or three for the PhD.
When I emailed the University of Glasgow psychology department about doing research into PTSD, their response made me feel as if I was already studying there.  That is, it was very receptive.
Scotland offers scholarships for Americans pursuing scientific degrees at Scottish universities.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Can anyone think of any positive reasons I should study overseas?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:12:17 PM »
I can't really help on a lot of your concerns, but definitely don't feel like you're too old to go back to school!  My mom was 58 when she started her PhD...and that was after going back for her masters at 44.  People return to education at all ages, and honestly in my experience (as a 22 year old grad student who made friends with a 60 year old grad student) the older students have a lot more to offer than the ones fresh from undergrad.  Life experience is immensely valuable.  So whichever country you choose, don't ever feel that you're too old! 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:28:04 PM »
I can't really help on a lot of your concerns, but definitely don't feel like you're too old to go back to school!  My mom was 58 when she started her PhD...and that was after going back for her masters at 44.  People return to education at all ages, and honestly in my experience (as a 22 year old grad student who made friends with a 60 year old grad student) the older students have a lot more to offer than the ones fresh from undergrad.  Life experience is immensely valuable.  So whichever country you choose, don't ever feel that you're too old!  
Thankfully, historyenne covered the age concern.

As someone who did education in the UK, I think it was a wonderful experience. I got a lot of opposition from loved ones but they eventually jumped on my bandwagon with enthusiasm. As someone who did it, I'm glad I didn't let their initial concerns affect my decision.

I think you are mentally set on pursuing higher education, but the question I want to ask is why the UK? Psychology and the military is not native to the UK so you can do a degree in the UK and if necessary return to the US or go anywhere else.  I imagine you won't be held back with a UK credential no matter where you go. If you have been to the UK before and have your heart set on it, by all means go. However, if your reason for choosing the UK is because "you don't belong in the US," I would explore more options than just the UK. With pro-emigration and anti-immigration policies nowadays, I implore you to keep in mind the likely possibility that you won't be able to stay afterwards.

I went to the UK when the visa outlook was better. By the time I graduated however, I had to return to the US because job sponsorship is almost impossible to secure. It was very painful for me to create a life in the UK, initially expect to be able to stay a bit longer, but then have those plans change within a few months. Keep in mind that in the eyes of the UK government, as a student, you are not considered an immigrant, just a long-term visitor who is expected to return home after the end of your studies.

When it comes right down to it, if your purpose for going abroad is to get higher education, then definitely go. However, if your purpose is to find a way to emigrate, I highly suggest that you keep your options open. Good luck.
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

• Redirecting Chaos: Rebuilding My Life After Losing My Job, Car and Fiance
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:57:23 PM »
Hi historyenne and rynn,

Thank you both for your responses.  I really appreciate them. Based on what you've written, my plan is to do Glasgow for a conversion course and master's, then do the PhD in the U.S. 

Rynn, good luck getting back to the UK.  I've been there a few times, and I do miss it.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:18:02 AM »
One thing that you need to be sure you're well-informed about is the transferability of any qualification that you earn in psychology in the UK. The US has a different standard in psychology than much of the rest of the world, and doesn't necessarily fully recognize degrees earned elsewhere.

Case in point, my partner has a clinical doctorate in psychology from a UK university which allows her to practice anywhere in the Commonwealth and much of the rest of the world, but if we moved to the US she would have to complete a 1-2 year conversion course before she could register with the APA.

This may not be as applicable for non-clinical branches of the field, but be sure that you're aware of all the details before committing yourself to anything.

Sponsored Links