Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Provisional Licence at DVLA  (Read 7279 times)

• Liked: 223
Provisional Licence at DVLA
« on: December 16, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »
I'm applying for my Provisional Driving Licence.  I'd rather not send my BRP off.... especially around Christmas time.  :)

The lady at the post office said I could apply for it in person at Wimbledon.  Has anyone done this?  The DVLA website is really unclear and I'd feel better knowing for sure before going an hour there and back.  :)

Thanks!  :)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 3596
Re: Provisional Licence at DVLA
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
This question has come up before and I believe it was determined that if you hold a US passport, your only option is to apply by post and mail your passport/BRP to the DVLA.

From what I remember, the in-person option is only available to people who hold passports from certain countries. However, the direct.gov.uk website has been revamped since I last found the info, and I can't see where it say that now.

Having said that, I don't think anyone here at UK-Y has found any other option but to mail in their passport/BRP in the past.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 10:20:41 AM »
Thanks, ksand.  After some more digging since my post, it seems people have been able to do it, but the DVLA in Wimbledon (where I'd go) has still sent the documents off to the head offices in Swansea..... but those posts are all from 2008-ish.  :P  I guess I'll do some more digging and maybe ring them up.... or just pop down there... a nice long bus journey on a sunny day.....  :P

Also, any idea if I can get my provisional in my married name?  My passport is in my maiden name but I can give them my marriage licence.  :)

Thanks, ksand!  You're an awesome endless supply of info!  :)

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:50:18 AM »
Hmmmm.... no link to the DVLA to back this up, but it's enough hope to have me hop on a bus to Wimbledon:

from http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?316213-DVLA-and-sending-passport

There are only three local DVLA offices who carry out the premium checking service for those whose licences have been issued outside the EU, EEA or designated countries, as the OP has indicated that he is. These are, Wimbledon, Nottingham and Glasgow together with the main reception at DVLA Swansea.

Wish me luck!  :)

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:06:16 AM »
Ah, that's the information I was looking for, although it doesn't seem to be on the new DVLA website.

I seem to remember though that it only applied to people from the EU, EEA or designated countries, not people from OUTSIDE those countries.

Here we go, I found it (the page has been archived on the government website):

The thread I posted in: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=73426.0;all

The archive page with the information on:
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20121015000000/www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_10028503

From the archived page:
DVLA local offices

DVLA local offices provide a similar service to the Post Office®. If you have a licence issued in another country, a service is offered at a select number of local offices.

Licenses issued in another country

You can use this service if you are applying for a full British licence in exchange for a current full paper or photocard driving licence from an European Community/European Economic Area country or designated country. There are three local offices that provide the service - Glasgow, Nottingham and Wimbledon. You can also use the DVLA's main reception at:

DVLA
Longview Road
Morriston
Swansea
SA6 7JL

As you hold a US licence and cannot exchange it for a UK one, even if you are able to apply through the local office in Wimbledon, you will still have to send off your passport/BRP.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:08:25 AM by ksand24 »

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:18:36 AM »
Ok.  That makes sense.   :)

DVLA local offices provide a similar service to the Post Office®. If you have a licence issued in another country, a service is offered at a select number of local offices.

The lady at the post office said they could 'do it' at the DVLA in Wimbledon.... I assumed she meant they could process my provisional there, but I guess she meant they could do the Premium Checking Service (she was doing the premium checking for DH's Driving Licence Renewal when we asked her) for me there since I'm not a UKC.  :)

Thanks again.   :D

I think I'll head out to Wimbledon.... at least then I know I've got the right documents.  :)  And a long bus ride is a better way to spend my day than worrying myself with minor questions on UK Yankee.  :P

Thanks, ksand!   ;D

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 11:22:24 AM »
Oh, plus doing it at the DVLA I can pay in cash and avoid the charge for a postal order to pay the £50 fee.  :P  I think it would cost £6-7 for a postal order but the bus will be the £4.20 daily cap.  :)  Just a pound or two, I know, but I've got nothing else to do (until driving book and Life in the UK study book get here!) and I also get the reassurance it's all in order.  :)  And I get to see a new part of London.  :)

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 09:12:44 AM »
Ok.  I went to Wimbledon DVLA yesterday and had success!  :)

I only waited about 10 minutes to be called to a window (on a Monday afternoon).

The guy was able to check the application was complete and the documents were ok (but he still sent off my marriage certificate and BRP).

I only had to pay for the return shipping (£6.35 for up to 500g)- special delivery next day.  I didn't need to pay for it to be sent to be processed- only for it to be sent back to me.  :)

http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/business-delivery-options-uk/special-delivery-next-day/prices

There's a post office/convenience store just up the road (away from the mall) where I got the special delivery envelope- the DVLA guy directed me there.

He asked if I had a passport photo.  I did and he used it (I'm glad because it's a good photo as far as passport photos go).  I didn't see a place for them to take photos if I hadn't had one with me.  I think he may have asked me to go outside to a photo booth in the mall or something and come back with the photo.

I was able to pay in cash (also could have done credit or debit, I think).

He gave me an official receipt acknowledging which documents I submitted and how I paid.

He said it'd be about 2-3 weeks for everything to get back to me, but another guy later (when I came back with the envelope) said it'd be about a month.  :)  Still, not too bad considering Christmas mail and maybe being closed for a bit over the holidays.  :)

The guy was very nice and helpful.  :)  A good change from the DMV in the States.

Oh- if you're going, bring a pen.  They don't have any out and are protective of theirs.  :P

My Highway Code book came yesterday, so now I can get to studying!  :)

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 09:03:12 PM »
Yippee!  I got my provisional licence in the mail today!  :)

I went to the DVLA in Wimbledon on Monday and today (Saturday), the licence showed up!  :)  Valid from 21.12.2012.  :P  The end of the world is the beginning of my provisional licence.  :P  hehehehehehehe

Just waiting on my BRP and marriage certificate..... nothing on the tracking number yet (I gave them a Special Delivery envelope to send it back so I'll know when to expect it).

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 02:21:56 PM »
For anyone applying for their provisional licence at the DVLA in the future, I got my provisional in the mail 5 days after I applied (I applied in Wimbledon on Monday and got it in the mail on Saturday) and I got my BRP and marriage certificate back three mail days later.  :)  I had included a next day delivery envelope (£6.95 up to 500g) in my application.  :)

• Made it!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 12:49:07 PM »
So, what is a BRP? 

My wife and I went to sign up for the theory test this week and found out we need to have a provisional license before we can get our UK license.  Nobody had mentioned this to us before.  We have been in the UK for 6 months now and figured we had plenty of time to get this all sorted.  We leave for a US visit in a little less than 6 weeks and don't want to send off our passports right now.  We have until the middle of July to get our UK license.  They said it could take around 2 weeks to get into the theory test and up to 12 weeks for the practical test.  If we were to go into the Wimbledon office would we be able to keep ahold of our passports? Where do you find the address for the Wimbledon office?

• Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »
BRP is biometric residence permit.

You didn't know about the provisional license? It's pretty clearly explained on the DVLA site. I believe that even if you go to Wimbledon you have to give up your passport for a bit, but I'm not certain.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:48:47 PM by geeta »

• Made it!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 07:16:20 PM »
We hadn't been to the DVLA site until this week.  We had just been going by what my wife's employer said and they never mentioned the provisional.  Neither had 3 driving instructors that we've used.  We took a UK familiarization driving course a defensive driving course and I had just started taking a BSM driving course this week.  Not one of them mentioned the provisional license.  Oh well, it is what it is. We have until mid July.  Good thing is we don't live too far from the train station!  8)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »
That is strange, but maybe they assumed you knew about it already.

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 08:39:45 AM »
You can go to Wimbledon to apply for your provisional, but they'll still need to send off your BRP or passport.  I got my provisional within a week of applying and my BRP (and marriage certificate since I wanted my provisional in my married name and my BRP is in my maiden name) back a few days later.  :)  That was just before Christmas, so it may take even less time now.  :)  Get a special delivery envelope (for up to 500g) so they can send your BRP or passport back more securely.  :)

If it only takes a week or so, it won't set you back much on your timeline to get everything done before your 1-year mark.  Even if you take more than a year, you can drive on the provisional (with an experienced driver in the car and all those other stipulations explained on the DVLA website) if you need to and are able.  :)

Here's the Wimbledon DVLA address:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus/localoffices/findnear/england/london_wimbledon_local_office.aspx

Bring a pen!  They're quite protective of theirs.  :P

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab