Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Vets visit-Third Party Certificate  (Read 2005 times)

• Liked: 0
Vets visit-Third Party Certificate
« on: January 24, 2013, 09:01:13 PM »
Has anyone gone through the process recently that can help?

We are about to take our cats to the vets tomorrow to get microchipped. I have the EC 998 form all ready to go and take with us. I was just looking at the DEFRA website and I can't see any information regardin this. Instead, I see what they require, to be a Third Party Certificate or Pet Passport (that looks like if you are leaving the UK though).
So now I'm confused.

Which one do I take to the vets tomorrow? Is the EC998 form still the one that is required. I'm just worried as I couldn't see it anywhere.
The page I'm looking at is here:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/documentation/

Thank you in advance!

Re: Vets visit-Third Party Certificate
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:50:35 PM »
Ok, so I realise now that the form on the website, is the long version of the EC998.

Now I have another question. It says on the Defra site that:
"the Annex 1 or Annex 2 certificate is valid for entry into the EU for 10 days from the date of issue"

Does that mean I don't get the vet to fill the form out when I take them to get the chip put in? I just return 10 days before they fly and have them endorse it. I am reading that right? This is so confusing!  ???

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:09:40 PM »
I used the same vet for all the steps so he just filled the form out at our last visit - which was 3 days before the flight, when we had the tapeworm treatment.  If you are having multiple vets do the steps, you might need them to fill out each step along the way.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:10:43 PM »
One thing - when you get the rabies shot after the microchipping - make sure the microchip is on your rabies certificate. 

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 12:35:53 AM »
One thing - when you get the rabies shot after the microchipping - make sure the microchip is on your rabies certificate. 

Thank you for your response!

Ah, so you can't get the microchipping and the shot done in the same visit? I was going to have them both done, with the microchip put in first of course. We are taking cats, so don't need to go back for the tapeworm.

So I guess my question now is, do I get the vet to endorse it tomorrow, or can I only do this 10 days out? I didn't see this in the moving pets guide, only on the DEFRA site, so thats why Im confused, sorry!

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 07:34:30 AM »
I think that you can get your vet to fill in the paperwork whenever but you need to get the state USDA vet to sign off on it within the 10 days before arriving in the UK.  If you need a heath certificate for your airline/flight - that also usually has to be done within 10 or so days of the flight so you could get your vet to do the DEFRA form then. 

You can definitely get the rabies shot in the same visit - just make sure the vet notes the exact times of each and I know one person needed a letter from the vet stating the order and times to verify the chip was in first.  So if your vet will write the letter, might be a good idea.  Make sure the letter also includes the microchip number and the rabies batch number.  That microchip number needs to be on just everything in case you hadn't figured by now :)

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 02:54:01 PM »
I think that you can get your vet to fill in the paperwork whenever but you need to get the state USDA vet to sign off on it within the 10 days before arriving in the UK.  If you need a heath certificate for your airline/flight - that also usually has to be done within 10 or so days of the flight so you could get your vet to do the DEFRA form then. 

You can definitely get the rabies shot in the same visit - just make sure the vet notes the exact times of each and I know one person needed a letter from the vet stating the order and times to verify the chip was in first.  So if your vet will write the letter, might be a good idea.  Make sure the letter also includes the microchip number and the rabies batch number.  That microchip number needs to be on just everything in case you hadn't figured by now :)

Brilliant! Thank you so so much for your advice!
My vet is USDA approved, so I can just go back to her to sign it 10 days before right? Or do I have to get THE state USDA vet to do it? From what I read, it could be any approved USDA vet.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
No - it is THE state vet that has to endorse it at the end before you leave.  They are the ones who fill in the "certificate reference number" in a couple of places and sign off that the whole form is valid.  I can't see where it says this is required exactly unfortunately - maybe someone else has better google fu than me today. 

This form did help me a lot http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/ee_annot_non_comm_pts.pdf

I am not sure if your personal vet (yes must be USDA certified too) has to sign within the 10 days or not.  I read on a USDA website (texas) that they must but I am not sure if that is true for DEFRA.  You might call your state USDA vet office and ask what they want - mine wanted things that DEFRA did not.  For instance, they would not endorse before the tapeworm treatment even though DEFRA says that it is ok to do so.  You can also call DEFRA and ask them directly - I hear they are very customer friendly.  You can always get the vet to fill things out now and then go back and have them redo the page with their date and signature later.

Make sure you bring a blue pen for them and remind them to use the UK date format of day/month/year :)

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 03:37:03 PM »
Brilliant! Thank you so so much for your advice!
My vet is USDA approved, so I can just go back to her to sign it 10 days before right? Or do I have to get THE state USDA vet to do it? From what I read, it could be any approved USDA vet.

For the vet-based stuff, yes (microchip/rabies/tapeworm/health certificate). But in order to be valid for import, THE state USDA vet has to sign off on it (which is why USDA approved vets have to do the prepwork).
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »
No - it is THE state vet that has to endorse it at the end before you leave.  They are the ones who fill in the "certificate reference number" in a couple of places and sign off that the whole form is valid.  I can't see where it says this is required exactly unfortunately - maybe someone else has better google fu than me today. 

This form did help me a lot http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/downloads/ee_annot_non_comm_pts.pdf

I am not sure if your personal vet (yes must be USDA certified too) has to sign within the 10 days or not.  I read on a USDA website (texas) that they must but I am not sure if that is true for DEFRA.  You might call your state USDA vet office and ask what they want - mine wanted things that DEFRA did not.  For instance, they would not endorse before the tapeworm treatment even though DEFRA says that it is ok to do so.  You can also call DEFRA and ask them directly - I hear they are very customer friendly.  You can always get the vet to fill things out now and then go back and have them redo the page with their date and signature later.

Make sure you bring a blue pen for them and remind them to use the UK date format of day/month/year :)

Thank you sooooo much, you have been unbelievably helpful with this! Sorry for being so dumb when it comes to this. I think it was easier getting my fiance visa to come to the US than this is lol

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 05:32:23 PM »
For the vet-based stuff, yes (microchip/rabies/tapeworm/health certificate). But in order to be valid for import, THE state USDA vet has to sign off on it (which is why USDA approved vets have to do the prepwork).

Thank you for clarifying, this is really helped me a lot!!  ;D

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 07:06:20 PM »
I think it was easier getting my fiance visa to come to the US than this is lol

Wait till the actual flying day!!-- Everything was fine but I felt so stressed and soooo relieved when we collected our dogs on the other end.  I kept thinking I missed a step someplace (and I've done the process 3 times!!!)

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 03:25:09 AM »
Wait till the actual flying day!!-- Everything was fine but I felt so stressed and soooo relieved when we collected our dogs on the other end.  I kept thinking I missed a step someplace (and I've done the process 3 times!!!)

Oh yay, I can't wait!  :-\\\\ I think we may send them ahead of us by a couple of days and get my mum to look after them, because I don't know if I can deal with them and us emigrating at the same time!

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 09:05:13 AM »
It will be fine- didn't want to scare you!!  But there's nothing like the feeling when you get them released back to you and you know that whole part is over. 

I agree with trying to send them ahead if you can but just be sure it is ok with both the airline AND animal reception. 

Last year I was told a number of times we could send our dog unaccompanied and just by a random fluke found out from animal reception that it wasn't allowed so had to do a scramble. 

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 09:45:18 AM »
I agree with trying to send them ahead if you can but just be sure it is ok with both the airline AND animal reception. 

Last year I was told a number of times we could send our dog unaccompanied and just by a random fluke found out from animal reception that it wasn't allowed so had to do a scramble. 

FWIW, I shipped my dog/cat unaccompanied in April 2010 with British Airways (Washington Dulles -> London Heathrow) and it was fine. Other airlines/animal reception centres may have different requirements, though.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

Sponsored Links