Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Alert: New Life in the UK Test in March (Book out tomorrow)  (Read 4839 times)

• Liked: 0
Alert: New Life in the UK Test in March (Book out tomorrow)
« on: January 27, 2013, 09:37:36 AM »
British culture and history at heart of new Life in the UK test

The new book is essential reading for candidates sitting the revised Life in the UK test, which is being introduced in March.

The new handbook and test are part of the government's reforms to the immigration system to help reduce net migration to sustainable levels while ensuring that Britain continues to attract the brightest and the best migrants from across the world.

The test and handbook have been completely re-written, removing questions on topics that those living in the UK should already be aware of like public transport, credit cards and job interviews. Instead it focuses on British culture, history and traditions as well as the events and people who have helped make Britain a great place to live.

This includes writers like William Shakespeare and Robert Burns, the great scientists Isaac Newton and Alexander Fleming, engineers and industrialists like Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Richard Arkwright and politicians including Winston Churchill and Clement Attlee. 
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

Re: Alert: New Life in the UK Test in March (Book out tomorrow)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »
In case anyone is wondering these are the changes they were discussing last year: Theresa May 'planning changes to immigrant test'

I guess we will find out tomorrow if there will be any transitional agreements as to taking the old test after March.
January 2012 - FLR(M)

• Liked: 223
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:20:14 AM »
Thanks for the update, Hello Panda!  :)

I doubt there would be anything transitional about the way the test will be implemented.  Someone who takes the test before the change date in March will have the current material and someone taking the test after that date will have to study the new books and the new material. 

Personally, I'd either want to take it as soon as possible to beat the change or wait until a month or two after the switch to get some stories from people who have taken it.  :)  Can't imagine being in the first test group the day it's introduced....... imagine someone who doesn't get the info they'll be a new test and schedules it that day..... They've got to let people booking tests know someone.....   :-\\\\

It didn't say anything about the price increasing..... but my gut tells me it will go up from the £50 it costs now.   :-\\\\  Although I hope that's not the case.   :-\\\\  If they're making the test harder (especially for non-native English speakers) it'd be even more rude to penalise people who don't have £50+ burning a hole in their pocket (plus whatever the new cost of the book will be).   :-\\\\

I'm guessing this won't affect anyone who has already taken and passed the test.  Our pass certificates must still be valid, right?  Even 2+ years down the line....   :-\\\\
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 19
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 02:02:10 PM »
Sonofab*tch!  I need to take this in the next couple months, and now I don't know if I should try to hurry and squeeze it in before this, or wait. 

Should I go with information that's pointless and 6 years out-of-date, or try to cram my head with new, up-to-date, pointless information with an Tory ideological bent?

:(

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 03:02:39 PM »
The Guardian has some sample questions from the new test: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/quiz/2013/jan/27/british-citizenship-test-quiz-new

I have to say, if these questions really are what you can expect, then the new test will be a heck of a lot easier than the old one. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 63
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 03:34:01 PM »
IMHO out of the 10 sample questions, maybe 1 that isn't general knowledge and likely known by about everyone.

Non-English speakers might still struggle, but if this is typical, would be a 'walk' for most immigrants from the USA
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
I think I am going to wait for this new test. I find it easier to keep history/civic questions in my head then some of the weird, esoteric stuff on the current test.

Of course when more info is revealed tomorrow I may change my mind!
January 2012 - FLR(M)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 09:29:50 AM »
Well hopefully the questions are actually meaningful, rather than full of rote memorisation -those first 10 questions on the sample didn't seem too bad, i.e. things you would know, rather than having to memorise stupid facts.

I'd personally still rather write an essay about what living here means to me  :P 
Anyways, glad to have ILR, so no need for me to care anyways!

Of course, those who actually take the 'new' test will report back though, in good UKY form and we'll all find out!!  :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 09:43:31 AM »
It looks like the new book is 180 pages of info- all of which they test on!

The old book was only 145 pages, and they only tested on a few chapters..... about 60 pages.

The info may be more practical and relevant on the new test (and probably easier to learn) but it looks like it's about three times the material!   :-\\\\  (unless they have loads of pretty pictures!)

ETA- whoops... looks like the new book is A5.  The old one is A4, so it's twice as large a page.  :P  Still more info, but probably not as big a difference as I thought.....  :P
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:45:55 AM by TravelingFrog »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab