Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: moving to UK with XBOX & PS3  (Read 2375 times)

• Lives in Philly trying to get back to Lincolnshire
  • Liked: 0
moving to UK with XBOX & PS3
« on: January 31, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »
My hubby and I are moving to UK in March and we have an Xbox and PS3 do we need to buy converters or just uk power chords?

As long as they support UK voltage we should be able to just buy UK power chord right?

trying to wrap my head around this stuff is driving me crazy lol!

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
Re: moving to UK with XBOX & PS3
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:38:24 PM »
That's right. The PS3 isn't an issue at all, th XBOX is region-locked so if you want new games you'll have to order them from the US.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:45:28 PM »
So i'm good to not buy transformers and just buy UK power cables for the xbox and ps3?

• It's an adventure now.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:54:36 PM »
Yes, they are both dual voltage.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
got ya!  Thanks so much :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:28:09 PM »
As far as I know, I'm not sure that UK region games will work on the american systems. Changing the power cord will work fine but you will have to import the games from the US for BOTH systems I think. I might be wrong. If I am definitely let me know!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• It's an adventure now.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
You are wrong. XBox games are region coded, which I mentioned. Playstation are not. We use our US systems here, and buy games fairly regularly -- the XBox games have to be purchased in the US, where any games work on our PS3.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 02:33:41 PM »
You are wrong. XBox games are region coded, which I mentioned. Playstation are not. We use our US systems here, and buy games fairly regularly -- the XBox games have to be purchased in the US, where any games work on our PS3.

I'm glad to hear this because I'm facing the same situation and I had done a google search and everything said PS3 would work but a few people assured me up and down that it wouldnt and that i'd either have to import US games or buy a UK PS3 and games and I just thought that it'd be a massive waste of money (especially now that PS4 is coming out not too far into the future).
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 01:02:11 PM »
I'm in the same situation.  Have my US PS3, and my US A/V receiver and speakers, ready to set up this weekend.

I've ordered a new UK power cord for the PS3, and a 1500W transformer for the receiver (and my subwoofer).

My understanding is that, even though American PS3s say "120V" on the outside, the actual power supply is the same in every version.  I guess they don't print 120-240V on the outside to dissuade Brits from buying them much cheaper in America?

I also understand that, if you're using HDMI cables to connect everything, there won't be any compatibility issues with the video signals.  So you can plug a Sky cable box into an American A/V receiver, and then run another HDMI cable from the receiver to a British TV, and everything should work fine.  The only issue is with using an American TV in the UK, because the actual tuner that decodes the video signal won't be able to decode PAL signals.  If you use a cable box, that does the decoding.

Anybody know for sure that this isn't right?

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 01:16:24 PM »
Just a heads-up, also: if you have any games you digitally downloaded over Xbox Live, some of them may not work over here thanks to geo-fencing. I downloaded seven or eight while I lived in the US; three of them won't work - GTA IV, Mirror's Edge and Need for Speed (I forget which one). So if you have a huge library of downloaded games, you might want to google around and see which of them won't work here, and (if you want) replace them while you're in the US to avoid postage costs.

By the way, this only seems to apply to retail games - I have a massive arcade title library that I built in the US, and haven't had trouble with any of them. :)
9 Aug 11 - Married <3
14 Jan 12 - Submitted spousal visa application online
17 Jan 12 - Biometrics and mailed
19 Jan 12 - Visa issued!
21 Feb 12 - Moved to the UK!
01 May 13 - Passed the LitUK test :D
19 Mar 14 - Applied for ILR via checking service
29 Mar 14: Rec'd biometrics letter (dated 27 Mar) and completed biometrics same day
11 Jul 14: ILR approved
14 Jul 14: BRP and approval letter received
2 Dec 14 - Eligible to apply for citizenship

Sponsored Links