Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hanging out clothes on the line in the winter.  (Read 6371 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Hanging out clothes on the line in the winter.
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 04:17:42 PM »
No one on my street has been drying their clothes on a line this winter.

We have tumble dryer, but we don't use it for jeans, t-shirts, jumpers or towels. We do for everything else and since we're only two people, underwear and socks and a few bits and bobs are dry within an hour.

We keep meaning to get an airer, but always forget when we're out. It would be a lot more environmently friendly and we have two spare bedrooms, so we can keep them out of sight.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »
Ok, to the people who have tumble dryers - have you ever thought about making some extra cash at home by running a phone business? I was thinking that us dryerless expats could call up (.99p per minute) and you could put the phone to the dryer then occasionally tell us how quickly jeans and sweaters are drying!

for 50p/min I'll let you come over and snuggle in the warmth and softness of the towels ;D

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 01:01:45 AM »
MIL hangs her clothes out in the winter as well  but always  always  ALWAYs is keeping her eye  out for when the rain begins..which means a  big scramble  to  get everything down before it gets too  bad... We  used  put it up  on a clothes rack in the spare bedroom..  now in DD1's room.
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 11:07:50 AM »
for 50p/min I'll let you come over and snuggle in the warmth and softness of the towels

BRT!

• Liked: 21
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »
I only dry on the line in warmer weather. We have a combination washer/dryer but the dryer option isn't powerful at all so we opt to have clothes dry on a drying rack. I only use the dryer for towels, since I hate having stiff towels. The dryer takes a very, very long time though. I've always had a tumble dryer back in the states so when I first moved here it was a bummer having, essentially, no dryer. But I'm used to it now, don't think twice about putting clothes on the drying rack. The rack stays in the guest bedroom since I refuse to have clothes strewn all over the house and radiators  :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:23:26 PM by Karlee »
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »
Such a funny thread   ;D

Well, aside from the delicate items or the odd t-shirt that I don't want to shrink, I throw everything in the dryer.  ;D  Towels are softer and fluffier when put in the dryer and socks are so soft and warm on the feet.  It took some convincing and arm wrestling when I first arrived in UK as my hubby prefers to air his things all over the house, knickers lining the window sill and sheets draped over the banister.  :o   

It's cold and it rains here a lot!  Having a dryer means that laundry days no longer have to be planned and if I decide in the evening that I want an outfit by morning, I don't have to worry about whether or not it will dry in the dark overnight.  ;D

I wouldn't live without my tumble dryer or my dishwasher either.  But complete cycles seem to take twice to three times as long as wash cycles using equivalent appliances in USA.   ;D

• Liked: 223
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 01:05:56 PM »
We usually have one or two airers around the house (one is usually just for towels).  If it's not raining (and especially if it's sunny or there's a breeze and it's not below freezing), the airers go out in the garden.  Once they feel dry, they go on the radiators for a bit, then into the drawer.  :)  It's a bit of a process rotating the clothes to the radiators, but it gets everything dry and warm.  :)

It's really humid in our flat these days as we've got laundry out and a bunch of newly planted peas & tomatoes.  :)  Luckily, it's about 10C here now and yesterday was actually sunny (!) so we've got a bit of air circulation going on.  :)

C'mon SUMMER!!!!!!  Can't wait to dry clothes in an AFTERNOON!!!!!!   ;D
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 6112
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 04:23:49 PM »
It took some convincing and arm wrestling when I first arrived in UK as my hubby prefers to air his things all over the house, knickers lining the window sill and sheets draped over the banister.  :o   

You do know that knickers are ladies underwear right? ;)

• Midstream Musings
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2014, 01:41:57 AM »
I love that this topic was discussed in "the airing cupboard".   :P.  My solution was to purchase a dehumidifier and run it in the room where I hang my clothes to dry on a clothes rack. No more musty smell or prolonged dampness!
Life in the UK; from marriage and the big move in 2010 to becoming a citizen in 2014.

"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or we find it not"

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Liked: 56
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2014, 10:19:05 AM »
Ah laundry, the great weekly struggle.

Seriously, hanging clothes all over the flat, or on drying racks or whatever, annoys the crap out of me.  Or having to plan a few days in advance of when you want to wear something... because its got to dry.  Urgh.

My MIL in Sweden has a little room in the basement with no windows that they redid into a large walk in closet/laundry drying room.  You still have to hang clothes on a rack, but they run a combination dehumidifier/heater in there, so its dry AND warm.  Clothes dry great, usually in a fairly short time period, maybe an hour or two.

I've been yelling at my friend all year to just buy a damn dehumidifier for the bathroom where everyone dries their clothes because, frankly, climbing over clothes still drying after 4 days (obviously its not going ot dry in the bathroom where we take showers) is really annoying.  Not to mention nothing ever dries appropriately, especially in winter.  That was like some sort of foreign concept to her.  Next week we are moving to our own place that has a tumble dryer - certainly looking forward to that!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »
Ah laundry, the great weekly struggle.

Embrace laundry. I love doing laundry. I use the radiator method and it gives me something to fidget with.....a little sub-routine always running. I like to flip and move all the socks and stuff. It plays into my love of adjusting all the dials and valves on the heating. One of my favourite things is ironing. I do it early in the morning so no one interrupts. A mug of tea and a basket of cottons!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 9
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2014, 07:50:37 PM »
Embrace laundry. I love doing laundry. I use the radiator method and it gives me something to fidget with.....a little sub-routine always running. I like to flip and move all the socks and stuff. It plays into my love of adjusting all the dials and valves on the heating. One of my favourite things is ironing. I do it early in the morning so no one interrupts. A mug of tea and a basket of cottons!

You sound like my mom's dream child. I like laundry and know how to iron but hate to iron.  I'd negotiate complex chore swaps with my sibs to get out of it.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Adventures in England
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »
I love that this topic was discussed in "the airing cupboard".   :P.  My solution was to purchase a dehumidifier and run it in the room where I hang my clothes to dry on a clothes rack. No more musty smell or prolonged dampness!

We had a tumble dryer at our flat, when we bought our house we never got around to buying one since we moved in the summer.  We bought a dehumidifier a few months ago to deal with some condensation and I just put the clothes on drying racks and shut them in the second bedroom with dehudifier.  Works a treat, don't miss the tumble dryer at all!
www.mylifeismediocre.wordpress.com
*ILR Granted!*

ILR Granted-23/02/2013

• Liked: 12
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2014, 08:30:14 AM »
When I was growing up --before my mother had a dryer (maybe they hadn't even been invented!) -- she would hang all the laundry outside in warm weather.  At the height of summer everything would be dry in about an hour.  In the winter she would lug all the laundry up from the basement washing machine to the attic where she had clothes lines strung around.  It was pretty warm up there so the clothes would dry fairly fast --but never smelled as nice as when hung outside.
My mother was also a glutton for ironing.  She ironed all the sheets, which she changed every week.  She ironed all my clothes and her own (my father sent his work shirts to the laundry) She even ironed her bras!
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

Sponsored Links