Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What can we do?  (Read 935 times)

• Liked: 2
What can we do?
« on: October 12, 2004, 08:50:51 AM »
I was reading the Metro this morning on the train -- there's a picture/story of a woman from South Africa who has spent £4,500 in legal fees in order to gain citizenship.  The final straw was PROVING SHE CAN SPEAK ENGLISH!

I'm sorry to rant -- especially before I've had my first cuppa Joe -- but this OUTRAGES ME! 

Why is it a requirement to PROVE YOU CAN SPEAK ENGLISH?  I ask you! REALLY!  WHY!!!!

Is this just another ploy from the "revenue enhancement committee?!

What -- can WE do as a group -- of English speaking AMERICANS?!

ok  -- I feel better for getting that off my chest!
Thank you for reading!

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!  ;D

• Liked: 8
Re: What can we do?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 09:13:46 AM »
While I don't think native English speakers should have to prove they can speak English, I do see the point of the rule.  In order to gain US citizenship, one must prove that they can understand basic English, as the naturalisation interview is done in English only....so things are pretty much the same over there.  Being able to speak the language is essential if one is to assimilate (and I don't mean completely, so don't pick me apart on that!) and interact with society at large.

I guess I'd ask why the woman can't prove her ability to speak English.  Can she not produce a certificate from an English-speaking school?  If she can speak English, she should be able to do what the rest of us will have to do when we apply for citizenship--produce a diploma/degree from an English-speaking institution, take an ESL class, or be certified by a qualified teacher.  It's a dumb thing to have to do, but if that's what they want, then we have to do it.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 05:43:46 PM »
What -- can WE do as a group -- of English speaking AMERICANS?!

We can all dress up like Indians and sneak into Boston Harbour late one night, and throw all their tea into the bay.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 12:04:41 AM »
We can all dress up like Indians and sneak into Boston Harbour late one night, and throw all their tea into the bay.
I don't know if that would work, they would in retaliation sneak into all the McDonalds over there and throw all the burgers into the north sea! ;)
By the way, I didn't know it was a requirement for Americans to prove they can speak english? They know we do. Is that English in general or British english with different pronunciation for words? I'm pretty sure if you can speak english fluently there's no problem. If you know any Scottish (gaelic) or Welsh that would be an added bonus I would think.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 12:10:20 AM by Kay65 »

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 12:51:13 AM »
If you know any Scottish (gaelic) or Welsh that would be an added bonus I would think.

If you chose to go this route, you would need to be fluent, just as you would have to be fluent in English.

Nach bochd sin!
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 08:07:36 AM »
As far as I know, everyone who applies for citizenship now has to prove that they are fluent in English (not British English...just English).  Americans included.  All we have to do is get a teacher to sign our application, which is fine...just an added inconvenience.  I suppose their logic is that being born in/living in an English-speaking country isn't necessarily an indicator of being fluent in English.  Though really, I don't see how that could hold true, as one has to prove their ability to speak English to be naturalised in the US.   ::)

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 08:37:24 AM »
Actually, I don't think this applies to everyone applying for citizenship.  I just got my application for citizenship approved and I don't remember anything on the form asking about this, and I haven't had to get any teacher or anyone to sign anything.  In no way have I had to "prove" I speak English fluently. 

I think this woman's situation is an exceptional circumstance, perhaps. 

The oath you have to take is in English so perhaps that is where they make sure you can speak the language.  I'll have to get back to you on that one when I have my ceremony.

As for the rational for government wanting to have English speaking immigrants, I don't see any reason why anyone should be bothered by this.  If people apply to become a British citizen, it implies that they are wanting to assume some form of British-ness beyond just residing here.  This is an English speaking country and it makes sense to me that speaking English should be a part of the criteria.  You certainly can't work here without speaking it, and working and contributing to society is by definition the criteria for a good citizen.

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 08:50:21 AM »
It's a new requirement that went into effect in the last couple of months or so.  There's another thread about it somewhere on here but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 09:30:11 AM »
I only just applied in May, and got my application approved this month!  Perhaps I just missed the deadline somehow.

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 10:03:41 AM »
It's a new requirement that went into effect in the last couple of months or so.  There's another thread about it somewhere on here but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

I did find this under this thread, under the topic British Citizenship Info -
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=1477.msg13915#msg13915

So if I'm clear, it means if you're on any type of visa other than a spousal visa, it's five years; if you're on a spousal visa, it's three?
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 10:12:58 AM »

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 10:56:47 AM »
So if I'm clear, it means if you're on any type of visa other than a spousal visa, it's five years; if you're on a spousal visa, it's three?

Yep.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Love Exile
    • stoat
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2004, 11:19:43 AM »
If the Gay Partnership bill passes, then same-sex partners will be on the three-year track, too.  If it doesn't pass, though--five years, just like everybody else.  ::)
~Emily

"It is one thing to say that our feet do not know they are feet.  It is quite another thing to say that they are illusions."  --Ernest Holmes

Sponsored Links