Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name Changing  (Read 6226 times)

• Liked: 1
Re: Name Changing
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 05:17:21 AM »
All of the worried threads here about passports and plane tickets in maiden names instead of married names have put me off from ever changing my name. Can't say it's for feminist reasons, just laziness  :-*

Haha, I think that's a big part of it! Honestly, men don't usually go through that cr*p so why should we?  ;D

• Liked: 2
Re: Re: Name Changing
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
I started changing my name, as in using my married name for things like utilities, banking, shop information. All of my documentation and work is still in my maiden name. I'd planned to wait to change my name until I got citizenship (or, at the very least, until my passport was more than two years old and had more of the new additional pages used... I know, how stingy ;)). Also I couldn't wait to have a name that people didn't add an N in the middle of or an S at the end of. Or both.

But now I very much wish I hadn't even started, and just kept my name. I had a bit of a moment when I realised... 'but that's *my name*' I know I can't change it back on at least my banking without producing proof of divorce, which just doesn't exist! :P

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• On a stroppy little island of mixed up people...
    • City of Villages Blog
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »
I didn't change my last name when I got married, the thought never crossed my mind. My mother-in-law kept her name when she married (and told me not to even think about changing mine), and my husband and his siblings have her name instead of their father's. Funnily enough, my husband is thinking about changing his name to mine in honour of International Women's Day!
It is difficult to speak adequately, or justly, of London. It is not a pleasant place; it is not agreeable, or easy, or exempt from reproach. It is only magnificent... the biggest aggregation of human life, the most complete compendium in the world.
-Henry James

Re: Re: Name Changing
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 10:29:37 PM »
I started changing my name, as in using my married name for things like utilities, banking, shop information. All of my documentation and work is still in my maiden name. I'd planned to wait to change my name until I got citizenship (or, at the very least, until my passport was more than two years old and had more of the new additional pages used... I know, how stingy ;)). Also I couldn't wait to have a name that people didn't add an N in the middle of or an S at the end of. Or both.

But now I very much wish I hadn't even started, and just kept my name. I had a bit of a moment when I realised... 'but that's *my name*' I know I can't change it back on at least my banking without producing proof of divorce, which just doesn't exist! :P

That sucks. :( Could you maybe "change" your name by deed poll so you can get your banking, etc back to your unmarried name?

• Liked: 2
Re: Re: Re: Re: Name Changing
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 01:30:18 AM »
That sucks. :( Could you maybe "change" your name by deed poll so you can get your banking, etc back to your unmarried name?
Hmmm though, never thought of that....? That might be the way to go!

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 04:04:46 PM »
When I was younger and more insecure about silly little things, I wanted to change my last name because it's a somewhat unusual and often butchered Irish name that I always got annoyed about.

Now, it's sort of grown on me and as I get older, I feel like I'd be less likely to part with it. It's my bizarro, annoying, kind of ugly last name and I like it.  :) My ex never liked the fact that I didn't really want to change my last name. He was fine with neither of us wearing rings, but he didn't want us to have different last names if we ever got married. Another thing on the list of many reasons why we are no longer together!  ;D

That said, I would maybe be open to it if it was a situation like what EN is doing. Choose a completely new name together. I kind of like that idea, but ultimately I'm fairly certain that I'd just be too lazy to do it.  :P
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »
When I was younger and more insecure about silly little things, I wanted to change my last name because it's a somewhat unusual and often butchered Irish name that I always got annoyed about.

I like your last name! I think it's pretty. Then again, I might be pronouncing it in my head incorrectly because I don't think I've ever heard you say it.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »
And what about when you discover a forebear was "born on the wrong side of the blanket" and the family's been using the mother's name all along?  ;D
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 09:07:12 AM »
I thought feminists didn't get married anyways, so its a moot point, no?  ;)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »
I thought feminists didn't get married anyways, so its a moot point, no?  ;)

Oops!  ;D

Sponsored Links