Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Oh those dumb Americans.  (Read 6517 times)

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
Re: Oh those dumb Americans.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 03:24:31 PM »
Being from Boston, I would categorize Pennsylvania as a Southern state.  :P

Ohhhhhhhh, I'm feeling faint......

*thud*

:D
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »
More people vaguely knew New Jersey than I expected. They generally had the idea that it was near New York. However, it always came with a Sopranos comment.  :P
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 04:28:38 PM »
More people vaguely knew New Jersey than I expected. They generally had the idea that it was near New York. However, it always came with a Sopranos comment.  :P

One of the best things about having lived in Jersey City is I recognized lots of the scenes in the opening credits. Oh, that romantic Pulaski Skyway. I think Jimmy Hoffa is in one of the piers.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »
Being from Boston, I would categorize Pennsylvania as a Southern state.  :P

I agree with you BostonDiner, I don't think people are taught much about geography anymore. I know I learned American Geography when I was young, but we weren't taught much else. However, I do generally know where most countries are on a map.

Well, clearly not if you think PA is a southern state. It has a Canadian border and is above the Mason-Dixon Line.  ;)  PA, like NY and NJ is a middle state.

Before this goes any further, we don't have any members from Alaska, do we?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:40:08 PM by bookgrl »

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 06:13:11 PM »
I didn't realise people weren't being taught geography anymore, and that's a real shame. I remember being in school in the late '60s and having to trace every country in the world from an atlas, then being tested on where cities, mountains, rivers, etc. were. And I was about 6 years old at the time. I suppose things have changed since those days.  :-\\\\
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 06:16:52 PM »
I know I am a complete geek for this, but I remember fondly the pull down maps that were above the blackboard in elementary school. I loved when we used them and really wanted one for my house.  ;D ;D [smiley=smart.gif] [smiley=smart.gif]
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 06:25:50 PM »
Fallgal & Bookgrl, I was 100% joking. I know that Pennsylvania is a Mid-Atlantic state. I was making a joke with these maps in mind...

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 06:43:51 PM »
I know! I used to live in NH and RI, so I know ALL about you Massachusetts people.   ;)

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »
I didn't realise people weren't being taught geography anymore, and that's a real shame. I remember being in school in the late '60s and having to trace every country in the world from an atlas, then being tested on where cities, mountains, rivers, etc. were. And I was about 6 years old at the time. I suppose things have changed since those days.  :-\\\\

Very much so! It could just be my school, but while there were maps of the world and atlases in classrooms, we were only tested on US geography (when we were very young). Saying that, when we were studying world history at high school level, some of the test questions would be a blank map and we'd have to fill in the countries or cities. While those are geography questions, I never really considered it to be studying geography as a subject. Also, you're right. It is a shame that it isn't being taught extensively anymore.

bookgrl, oh good! I was worried you thought I was serious!

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 07:00:30 PM »
One of the best things about having lived in Jersey City is I recognized lots of the scenes in the opening credits. Oh, that romantic Pulaski Skyway. I think Jimmy Hoffa is in one of the piers.

Ah yes the Pulaski Skyway! I can see it from my apartment.  :)
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 07:19:27 PM »
In fairness, I can't expect anyone to know where Tallahassee is....much less Sopchoppy or Wewahitchica....or why Cairo is pronounced the way it is....

I don't really know where Tallahassee is, to be fair. Also, how is Cairo pronounced? Heh.

Well, clearly not if you think PA is a southern state. It has a Canadian border and is above the Mason-Dixon Line.  ;)  PA, like NY and NJ is a middle state.

Wait...PA has a Canadian border? Seriously? I had no idea. I grew up in NJ but have only a very, very vague sense of US geography outside of the Northeast coast and the Pacific coast and not a great grasp of the geography of even those areas.

Most of the time when someone names where they grew up in NJ, I have no idea where it is unless it's in two counties that I'm fairly familiar with. I actually probably have a better general sense of European geography than US. The capital of Moldova is Chisinau but I have no idea what the capital of at least half of the US states are. And I can't necessarily locate them all on a map, either.

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »
To be fair, neither did I until we were watching Pointless and PA was the only pointless answer and I had to hang my head in shame.

It is Lake Erie that gives them the border, which is sort of a swizz.

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 08:21:34 PM »
PlainPearl - I knew you were joking! :D
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 11:11:24 PM »
PlainPearl - I knew you were joking! :D

Hooray!  :D

• Liked: 388
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 12:49:44 AM »
Being from Boston, I would categorize Pennsylvania as a Southern state.  :P