Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Oh those dumb Americans.  (Read 5069 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: Oh those dumb Americans.
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 07:25:47 AM »
A bit like now, I classify anything beyond Watford as "the north."

;D

We laugh when people from Bristol say they live in the southwest. Hah! That's practically the Midlands!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 07:34:25 AM »
LOL!

A bit like now, I classify anything beyond Watford as "the north."

;D We laugh when people from Bristol say they live in the southwest. Hah! That's practically the Midlands!

Well...when I was in London or South of most of the country and if someone was talking about an area of the UK I wasn't familiar with I could get by with saying (and be right 86% of the time) "Um, yeah that's somewhere North, right?"  :P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:23:11 AM by RAR »
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

• Liked: 31
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 09:06:57 AM »
Psh, you're all just soft southern jessies! Of course, to phatbeetle and noirem, so am I, and to orkneytime and bound4orkney, so are they! :D
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »
Well...when I was in London or South of most of the country and if someone was talking about an area of the UK I wasn't familiar with I could get by with saying (and be right 86% of the time) "Um, yeah that's somewhere North, right?"  :P

Everywhere that's not Land's End is considered 'up country' to us.  ;D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »
I don't think we help American friends with European geography when they say they are thinking of talking a trip to Europe and we say we might meant up! Going over to west coast of Ireland in a few weeks to meet up with an old colleague of DW who is staying for 2 weeks with her husband. They've rented a 6 berth cottage on the beach and there's only the 2 of them so said why don't we stay. Just booked Ryanair flights to Knock for £100 return and we'll spend 4 nights there.

Same with another friend talking about visiting Italy, we said we'd book a short break and meet up!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

• Liked: 533
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »
I don't really know where Tallahassee is, to be fair. Also, how is Cairo pronounced? Heh.

You know if you never make it to Tallahassee you will not have missed much.

I always thought 'Tallahassee' sounds sort of rudely illicit in a backwoods kind of way. Like if you were drunk and nekkid and jumping off a pier or something you could yell out "TALLAHASSEE!!" in mid air right before you hit the water and it would sort of sound naughty.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2013, 02:28:05 PM »
You know if you never make it to Tallahassee you will not have missed much.

I always thought 'Tallahassee' sounds sort of rudely illicit in a backwoods kind of way. Like if you were drunk and nekkid and jumping off a pier or something you could yell out "TALLAHASSEE!!" in mid air right before you hit the water and it would sort of sound naughty.

:D I always confuse Tallahassee with Tuscaloosa.  Don't know why, other than they are both in the south, both start with "T", both have a lot of vowels and both end with a vowel. Guess that's reason enough. ;)
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Liked: 12
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »
PlainPearl, those maps are hilarious  ;D  I confess I always think of western Mass. as really New Yawk (they talk funny out there!)  [smiley=goofy.gif]
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 1
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2013, 11:25:56 AM »
In Georgia, Cairo is pronounced "kay-row". That's only Kay-row, GA though. The one in Egypt is pronounced the other way :)
"It takes a leap of faith to get things going. In your heart, baby, you must trust..."

• Liked: 533
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »
In Georgia, Cairo is pronounced "kay-row". That's only Kay-row, GA though. The one in Egypt is pronounced the other way :)

I am fascinated by this. At some point they must have been sitting around and decided to name the place. Now why would they pick Cairo? Someone must have had an atlas and they threw a dart at it or something because there seems no logical connection. If there was some sort of connection, like maybe an Egyptian family in the area or something, then they would have known the proper pronunciation.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »
Hahaha, that makes me think of a little town I grew up near named Califon. Officially, it was supposed to be named California, but they say in order to fit on the welcome sign they needed it to be shortened to Califon. Unofficially, they say the guy who was painting the sign was drunk, left out the R by mistake, and just decided to leave it.  ;D
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Liked: 1
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2013, 04:38:52 PM »
Did a bit of looking on Wikipedia to see if I could see why Cairo, GA is called Cairo, but it doesn't say. It does say that the great Jackie Robinson was born there, though, so it was worth the look :)
"It takes a leap of faith to get things going. In your heart, baby, you must trust..."

• Liked: 0
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »
My geograpy lessons were all about rivers, mountains, earthquakes and population, but I only did it up to year 9. I vagely can picture places in America, although it needs to be on a NESW basic mostly!

@RAR me too, but it's generally stuff above London as well!

@chary I consider myself to be in West Country, but only just,* so for you I'm probably south east!

*as in go out of town, you see the back of the dorset sign -> no-mans land -> "Welcome to Hants"!

• Liked: 19
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 09:50:44 AM »
I am fascinated by this. At some point they must have been sitting around and decided to name the place. Now why would they pick Cairo? Someone must have had an atlas and they threw a dart at it or something because there seems no logical connection. If there was some sort of connection, like maybe an Egyptian family in the area or something, then they would have known the proper pronunciation.

I'm not sure why Cairo, GA or Cairo, MO, but Cairo, Illinois is pretty easy to figure out if you look at a map.  It's located in a major river delta, just like the original. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab