Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Who in the US has to be notified about name changes?  (Read 2156 times)

• Liked: 0
Who in the US has to be notified about name changes?
« on: March 25, 2013, 01:54:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm getting married in about a month and a half. I'm still sort of on the fence about what I'm going to do about my name (I know it's a bit late to be so ambivalent!) but right now I'm leaning towards hyphenating myname-hisname.

We'll be applying for the spouse visa shortly after that and I'm wondering who absolutely has to know about my name change in the US? With whom will I be in trouble if I don't tell them? I'm definitely not going to update my passport until it expires because that sounds like more trouble than it's worth based on other posts on this thread. Did you make it a point to notify Social Security and your bank(s)? I don't want to break any laws or give the impression I'm trying to dodge taxes or creditors, but I also want to minimize the bureaucracy as much as possible considering I'm not really going to be living here anymore, for a while at least.

Thanks!
2/16/2010 - Met
5/16/2013 - Married! in DC
6/16/2013 - Application submitted
6/19/2013 - Biometrics, application sent via UPS to Sheffield (priority)
6/21/2013 - Package signed for at Sheffield

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Who in the US has to be notified about name changes?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »
At minimum, you should notify Social Security.  I don't know how true this is but I was told by someone that without it being on my SS card, my new name wasn't "legal."  Take that for what it's worth.. lol
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
You don't have to notify anyone, especially if you're ambivalent about it. You can always do it later if you decide to go ahead with the change. You're not planning to defraud anyone--I don't think--so there shouldn't be an issue, especially since you're planning to keep the major form of US ID in your original (I hate the word "maiden name" to no end) name.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »
You don't have to notify anyone, especially if you're ambivalent about it. You can always do it later if you decide to go ahead with the change. You're not planning to defraud anyone--I don't think--so there shouldn't be an issue, especially since you're planning to keep the major form of US ID in your original (I hate the word "maiden name" to no end) name.

But if I put it on the marriage license, isn't it a done deal?
2/16/2010 - Met
5/16/2013 - Married! in DC
6/16/2013 - Application submitted
6/19/2013 - Biometrics, application sent via UPS to Sheffield (priority)
6/21/2013 - Package signed for at Sheffield

Sponsored Links