Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Study postgrad part-time under spouse visa?  (Read 1538 times)

• Liked: 0
Study postgrad part-time under spouse visa?
« on: March 28, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've tried searching for this answer on the forum and wasn't quite sure where to put this topic, but I thought someone out there may have done this.

I'm interested in studying part-time for a masters through online/distance learning at a university in the UK. Currently I live in the UK under a spouse visa. My understanding is that I would be considered an international student (which is fine) but then what gets fuzzy is how much tuition would be charged if I were to do one class at a time as an international student because it's expected that if you're an international student, one would be studying full-time.

I'm wondering if:
- studying part-time under a spouse visa can be done
- if anyone has done it, what your experience was like
- how tuition was handled and how it compared to tuition studying full-time

I could just wait the however many years to qualify to become a home student, but I'm really just itching to do something. Plus before I contact the university office, I wanted to see how anyone else here has handled this and seek stories, advice, etc.

Thanks much and I would appreciate anyone's help!

• I miss people no matter where I live
Re: Study postgrad part-time under spouse visa?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
Studying part time under a spouse visa can be done. Part time masters means that you'll be doing it for two years and they divide the classes and tuition into 2. I don't think they let you do one class at a time. Well not where I'm enrolled anyways.
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

Re: Study postgrad part-time under spouse visa?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:17:29 PM »
If you study a true distance learning postgraduate course (ie, no attendance at the university required) as opposed to just part time, often the tuition fee will be the same whether your fee status is home or overseas. This is usually a bit more expensive for the full masters than attending a regular part time course for home students, but much less expensive than the equivalent overseas fees.

This doesn't apply to the Open University though, they'll still charge a different home and overseas fee even at postgraduate level.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:19:46 PM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

Sponsored Links