Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hair in the UK  (Read 5775 times)

• Liked: 0
Hair in the UK
« on: October 15, 2004, 11:47:07 AM »
I hope I don't offend, I really do.

I hate the majority of hair cuts/styles I've seen in the UK.  When I first moved here, I saw so many women with the 'shag' (I know, that means something entirely different here) cut that was popular in the US about three years ago.  A modern retro thing from the 60's and the Jennifer Aniston hair thing.  That Courtney Cox had, too.

Anyway, lots of that type of hair cut I see out here.  And the men!  Good lord.  Brush it forward, spike it on the top.  WTF?  The amount of color and products men use on their hair here is astounding to me. 

I'm afraid to get my hair highlighted and cut because I worry I'll end up with huge chunks of color and a weird cut.  I watched The Salon a ton and saw the same thing there.  Same weird ass styles for men and the way they cut the women's hair, I'd cry if that happened to me. 

Does anyone else think the hair styles are strange?  I'm generalized, I know. 

• Liked: 12
Re: Hair in the UK
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 12:10:49 PM »
You're not alone, muse! I've noticed there's a huge trend here for girls to get 2 layers -- a blonde one on top covering a dark brunette one below, stick straight -- so they literally have two different hair colors. It's something I have never seen in my life before I came here. And alot of guys tend to make a lot more effort on their hair, with all the highlighting and gelling and spiking. I do notice alot more "creative" styles here... people are very brave! :D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 12:16:38 PM by Honeybee »
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 12:13:50 PM »
Thing is... if you find a good hair stylist anywhere they should cut your hair the way you want it.  It's not like you go in and they spit you back out with some hairdo you did not ask for if they are good at what they do.  I have noticed a lot of hair gel here, though my husband has yet to succumb.  I kind of like some men with it though.  I think it is just part of the trends. People fall into doing what everyone else is doing.  They used to gel it lightly in Atlanta and it looked good.

I honestly have been lucky and found a hair colorist and stylist I love.  He does whatever I say and can go from subtle to nutty.  Plus if it will look like crap he tells you.  I decided to go with the trendy two tone thing and loved it.  I will likely go back to my subtle low and high lights this time.

Not sure anyone can match the lovely spiked straight up in the air bangs with all the rest long and flat shelf fungi look or the rat tail with spikey gelled hair look courtesy of the US.  Those were and are still pretty scarey.

I also hate to add that if you hate retro you are going to be sad as it is the "in" hair look still.... now we are even seeing flashbacks into the 1930's. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 12:20:45 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 12:20:50 PM »
A lot of the younger styles aren't my cup of tea, but I've had no problems finding a hair dresser to do exactly what I want (in three areas: the Northeast, London and Hertfordshire).  As long as you are specific with what you want and are firm when they suggest something you don't want, I can't see there being a problem with getting a cut or colour that suits you.

As a side note, I've had the best luck with independent salons rather than chains such as Toni & Guy.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 12:22:40 PM »
Mine is an independent one as well.... I basically was working a temp job with a lady who had really nice blonde hair and asked her where she went and who she saw... so that is also a tactic that might work.
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 12:28:18 PM »
It's a rule of thumb. Whenever you see anything that you like on another person, ask them where they got/did it. People don't tend to be bothered by this as they might in NYC or LA, for instnace.

• Journal
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 12:30:56 PM »
I know what you mean.  I don't really have much of a clue what would look good on my hair.  I've been growing it out from a long series of dye jobs, and now that's it's approaching a decent length (middle of my back now!  yay!), I want to get something done with it, but I'm terrified to go in and ask one of the stylists for advice.  I'd be miserable if I ended up looking like a Radio One clone.  :)  Need to start stalking the few wom,en around here with decent hair and see where they go.  :D

"I will do this.  Nothing in my life matters except this.  I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment."  -Raistlin Majere

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 12:34:10 PM »
I love my current salon.  I stopped in because I saw in the window that they had Biolage products.  The man who owned the salon had been a hair dresser for many moons and was probably about 65.  He no longer did cuts, only mixed colours.  He spent at least 30 minutes talking about the appropriate colour for me; he really inspired confidence, so I gave them a shot and have been with them for nearly four years.

Sadly, the owner passed away last year, but their lead stylist bought the business and everything runs as if Tom himself where still in charge.  There are some real gems out there if you are prepared to look for them.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 12:38:12 PM by Caitlinn »
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Dharma in the Dishes
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 12:43:07 PM »
I like a lot of the girls' hair that I've seen--particularly the shorter spikey/flippy ones. The ones I don't like are the stick straight, flat to the head styles that have razor cut ends. Ugh!! And I will be very glad when the coxcomb, swirly bedhead look goes out for the men.  To be honest, most of the men here would get their butts kicked back where I come from, just on principle! ha!

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 01:42:01 PM »
I've gotten one of the best cuts in my life here...and I have difficult curly hair.  I also recently got my hair colored and while I was sceptical about the color he suggested, I really like it now...and if I had said "no" he would have been fine.  I think it's all about the pics you bring - if you see something you like bring it in and they'll try their best. 

As for the guys - love the mussy look and the spikey look...always have.  I like the fact that guys take an interest in their looks more than in the US...as long as they don't pay more attention than I do!  ;D  I'd rather that than many of the guys I dated in the US who barely paid attention to what they did but wanted the perfect little woman (all coiffed).  Give me the European guy looks any day over typical "stud-man" American looks!  (I've always liked a guy with a touch of style)

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 01:45:54 PM »
*makes note to take Onetiger to Spain/Italy........ ;D

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 01:47:39 PM »
why do you think I wanted to go to Florence as a chaperone to 20 kids?!   :D   Mama mia!

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 01:49:56 PM »
Yes dahling I am Italian and I am beautiful... do they make ugly people with no style there?  Must be in the water....

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 03:15:24 PM »
I got my hair dry trimmed once by an indie salon in Cheltenham. Turned out well but hard to screw up a dry trim really... I got my high lights done by my stylist before I went to England in Sept and then when I came home again at Cmas. Ive been going to my stylist for years so I just leave the job for her to do.

I think its great that alot of the younger guys tend to their hair. Mainly my fiancee does not do his hair at all but if we're going out somewhere special he adds a bit of gel to the top and oh my; he looks HOT!  :o

Not really into the current young ladies styles. Dont like the 2-toned hair described above but thats just not me. I do enjoy seeing the different styles on everyone. I got many compliments on my boring, stick straight hair-- I couldnt get over the girls that would spend a long time on straightening their hair with an iron. I told them to work their curls or waves-- I would kill for some wave in my hair!  :D
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

• Liked: 12
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 05:03:17 PM »
I just got my hair done yesterday though, and it looks really amazing. So I can vouch that it IS possible to get a non-freakish style here, just say specifically what you want and specify what you don't want.  :)
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

Sponsored Links