Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: YAY!!!! I'M GOING H.O.M.E. FINALLY!!!!  (Read 13941 times)

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
Re: YAY!!!! I'M GOING H.O.M.E. FINALLY!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »
3 1/2 years!!!

Ugh, my heart is seriously breaking for you.

That must have been sooooo hard!!!!!

Well, at least you made it, eventually!

xoxoxoxoooxoxxooox
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

• Liked: 533
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 12:46:03 PM »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Banned

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »
Yes, they have... Well, part of it anyway... And they can keep it.  ::)

I'm from lower Manhattan.  ;D
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »
It was 6 years before I went back to the US, and that's because my dad passed away.  It was a very surreal trip.  So much time had passed and yet it only felt like a year (once I saw everyone).

Have a fantastic time!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Banned

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 06:28:02 PM »
WOW! That would KILL me.

SIX YEARS?!  :o

You are either much stronger than me, or you have had a much better experience here, (maybe because it was very different to be 'new here' and not as hard, when you came over?), or both!

I've had a bit of a cr*p transition this time. It was easier for me in the late 80's.

Especially with work.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 06:34:27 PM »
It was 6 years before I went back to the US, and that's because my dad passed away.  It was a very surreal trip.  So much time had passed and yet it only felt like a year (once I saw everyone).

I've been back twice in 10 years and that's plenty. The first time was only because a close friend was getting married - otherwise I wouldn't have gone. And at the moment, I don't anticipate another trip in the next 5-10 years ... although my father is getting older. I dread that visit (when the time comes) and can easily imagine how it would be surreal.  :-\\\\
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »
Yes, they have... Well, part of it anyway... And they can keep it.  ::)

I'm from lower Manhattan.  ;D

The LES and EV are fairly thoroughly hipster-fied these days. :)

• Liked: 387
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 07:23:27 PM »
Hope you have a great time!!!

DH and I recently got back from a 2 week holiday to see family around the Tri-State Area, and it was lovely!!

We had fantastic weather; hope it holds out for you!

• Banned

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 07:36:54 PM »
Aquila, I'm happy you had such a good time!!! I'm hoping to get my hubby out and about in the Tri-State area too, because it is so diverse, and so fantastic.

Last night he learned a new word: Guido!!!

Because I was telling him how lovely it is in New Jersey, 'Down the Shore' ha ha! And we are going to try and get out to Sandy Hook for an overnight trip! I know, it is not 'The Hamptons' but that is the beauty of it!!!! Ya know?! He will hopefully get to see both!

aimlesstraveler, the area is now more like 'Bankers Wives' infested, and I personally prefer hipsters! But, no matter, because my friends and family are still there.

And that is really all I care about.

And, some of them are hipsters and some are bankers wives - ha ha! Whatever.

Williamsburg is now more expensive then lower Manhattan for property. Can you believe that?!

It IS cute there now, but, still... Strange that it is considered hipper than my hood, which was 'so hip' at one point.

When I was a kid, my area was a dump. We would have paid anything to get OUT of that area, and now people are paying SO much to be there.

My friend (who rents) just told me her neighbour just sold her one bedroom flat, that she paid $50,000.00 for in the 80's, for $380,000.00!!! A tiny flat! A tiny, railroad flat with a window that faces a brick wall.

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 07:42:57 PM »
Oooh, if you want any food recommendations around Fairfield County or Sandy Hook, let me know.  :)

• Banned

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 07:48:04 PM »
My plan was to just shove a hotdog in his mouth.

I want him to have the 'Real Down the Shore Experience' - so I am also going to spray my hear out, chew gum, and wear high heels in the sand...

I'm kidding - I know there is great Italian food down there, and awesome people!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Where do you eat around Sandy Hook!?

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 07:59:33 PM »
WOW! That would KILL me.

SIX YEARS?!  :o

You are either much stronger than me, or you have had a much better experience here, (maybe because it was very different to be 'new here' and not as hard, when you came over?), or both!

I've had a bit of a cr*p transition this time. It was easier for me in the late 80's.

Especially with work.
Well, if it wasn't for the expense we would have been able to visit sooner.  My family isn't super close but it would have been nice to have seen my dad one more time.  My mom misses me as does my sister...

I have a few friends I love dearly which I did get to see when we were back as well as loads of old work buddies.  I gave my hubby a real flying Philly authentic visit.  Next time I'd like to give him the "down the shore" experience in AC, Ventnor and Margate which was my childhood and teenaged shore stomping grounds.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 08:15:09 PM »
I am unlocking this thread.  Keep the snark at bay please.  :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:00:38 PM by vnicepeeps »
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Banned

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 12:10:40 PM »

Aquila, WHERE SHOULD WE EAT?!?!?!?!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:24:48 PM by vnicepeeps »

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »
Toro in Newtown is Japanese and Chinese, and I've never had a bad meal there.  Considering the length of time DH and I spent in the area, we went there way too many times.  Marisa's Ristorante in Trumbull (close-ish) is Italian.  I'm addicted to their buttery garlic green beans and crispy calamari with peppers.  I don't think it's on the menu anymore, but they used to do a really nice chicken piccata.  The Sandy Hook deli/general store is very very New Englandy.  And breakfasts at Blue Colony Diner are fab.  El Coyote in Monroe for Mexican is supposedly very nice (never been there myself; family over there love it though).

More general Fairfield County-wise... Archie Moore's in Fairfield does usual burgers, salads, sandwiches - but I go for the buffalo wings (OMG!).  Colony in either Fairfield or Stamford does thin crust pizza and only thin crust pizza (but it's double super delicious).  If you're in the New Canaan area, Plum Tree is Japanese (tied with Toro for deliciousness; and both have tempura ice cream!).  Wild Rice in Fairfield or Norwalk does good Chinese food.  Apparently Five Guys is the hot place for burgers now, but I've never had them.  If they're open, Overton's in Norwalk is on the water and does the usual beach stuff (fried seafood of all sorts, burgers, hot dogs, etc).  Also in Norwalk - Sweet Ashley's for ice cream amd Letizia's Pizza for, well, pizza.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab