Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: parkrun -- timed 5K each Saturday  (Read 4661 times)

• Liked: 0
parkrun -- timed 5K each Saturday
« on: June 11, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »
Hi folks,

Since last year, I've been enjoying taking part in parkrun, a free, weekly, timed 5K run that takes place in local parks on Saturday mornings.  It has provided me with a chance to work on my speed (relatively speaking!) and to meet some new people.  The parkrun website keeps track of my times from all the runs I've done, so it's easy to track my own progress.

parkruns have people of all ages and abilities, including really fast people, those who run at a variety of speeds between fast and not-so-fast, and those who use run-walk intervals.  The environment is supportive and welcoming.

parkrun is *free* and *fun*, and I encourage you to check it out.  If you're a runner, run-walker, or walker who aspires to run, visit parkrun's website to learn more.  A listing of UK events is here: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/.  You should register online before your first parkrun so that your time can be recorded.

Are there any other UK-Y parkrunners?

EloiseMX
2011 -- Fiancée visa granted
2012 -- Moved to UK, married, applied for FLR(M)
2013 -- FLR(M) granted

Re: parkrun -- timed 5K each Saturday
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
My husband used to do park run before I moved over here. I'm trying to work through the couch to 5K program so that I can actually run at least most of the 5k before we attempt doing park run here in Norwich. It doesn't really help though that the run is actually 5km away from our house, so, for us, it would be more of a 15k!

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:12:47 PM »
I'm trying to work through the couch to 5K program so that I can actually run at least most of the 5k before we attempt doing park run here in Norwich. It doesn't really help though that the run is actually 5km away from our house, so, for us, it would be more of a 15k!

Couch to 5K is a wonderful program; are you enjoying it?

I know what you mean about commuting to parkrun.  I live about 4K away from my local one, so it's definitely more than 5K worth of activity.  I hope you make it to yours when you've finished your C25K training.
2011 -- Fiancée visa granted
2012 -- Moved to UK, married, applied for FLR(M)
2013 -- FLR(M) granted

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:25:53 PM »
I'm on week 2 and liking it so far. Nearly made myself sick trying to run today though. Spent 2 1/2 hours working outside mowing and weeding, and I barely had any lunch, then I tried to run. Bad idea!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 12:41:04 AM »
I am doing the Couch to 5k too, I am on week 4/day 2 and so far..... I love it!
 Hopefully I will be able to do 5k runs (or walk runs  ;D)  when I move to the UK in the fall.
Thank you for sharing about these parkruns, I did not know there was such a thing!  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab