Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How long did it take you to adjust to the new time zone?  (Read 3117 times)

How long did it take you to adjust to the new time zone?
« on: June 12, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »
And when I say that, I mean really, truly adjust. Not just get over the jet laggy bit.

Been home for two-and-a-half weeks now, and I'm just. so. tired. I can't tell if it's residual exhaustion from the last few months (which comprised full-time job/freelance work/10 university credits/packing/visa/moving kittens), or just a time-zone issue.

I get through my shifts at the pub OK, but come home and collapse on the couch. And I'm getting work done remotely for my US employer, but the days I'm home doing that, I inevitably end up crashed out for an hour-long nap.

So how long did it take you guys to adjust and feel up to normal energy levels? Any tips for rebounding to that point? I hate feeling like such a lazy sod.

• Liked: 4991
Re: How long did it take you to adjust to the new time zone?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »
Awwww, poor thing!

I think you are adjusting to your new life.  You went from 100mph to like 25mph...  takes a bit of time.  I would guess two to three months to really settle into a new routine?

I heard a theory on jetlag before and it's probably a decent rule of thumb (although I'm sure different for others).  I heard that you should allow one day for each hour of time difference.  So five hours time change will take five days to adjust.

But tell my body that when the clocks roll back an hour.  I swear it takes me a week, not a day!  ;o)

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »
Awwww, poor thing!

I think you are adjusting to your new life.  You went from 100mph to like 25mph...  takes a bit of time.  I would guess two to three months to really settle into a new routine?

I heard a theory on jetlag before and it's probably a decent rule of thumb (although I'm sure different for others).  I heard that you should allow one day for each hour of time difference.  So five hours time change will take five days to adjust.

But tell my body that when the clocks roll back an hour.  I swear it takes me a week, not a day!  ;o)

Maybe it ::is:: a routine-settling thing. I mean, I'm over jet lag in terms of being synced to normal sleeping normal hours (midnightish to 7 or 8, depending on the day), but even with that I find myself feeling beat.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
Oh dear -- sorry to hear you're so tired these days.

I slept a lot when I first arrived on my fiancée visa last year.  It was, as you suggest, residual exhaustion from all of the things that had been happening.  Plus, since so much was new, even some simple day-to-day things took more energy than they used to back in the U.S.  It just wore me out. [smiley=sleeping2.gif]

I found that getting out and about helped me to feel more normal, and I tried to go out even when I wanted to stay in.  It sounds like one of your jobs will help with that.  (As an aside, I always find the first weeks in a new job very tiring -- so much to learn & get used to!).  I got back to my usual energy levels by the summer; here's hoping it happens soon for you.
2011 -- Fiancée visa granted
2012 -- Moved to UK, married, applied for FLR(M)
2013 -- FLR(M) granted

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »
Oh dear -- sorry to hear you're so tired these days.

I slept a lot when I first arrived on my fiancée visa last year.  It was, as you suggest, residual exhaustion from all of the things that had been happening.  Plus, since so much was new, even some simple day-to-day things took more energy than they used to back in the U.S.  It just wore me out. [smiley=sleeping2.gif]

I found that getting out and about helped me to feel more normal, and I tried to go out even when I wanted to stay in.  It sounds like one of your jobs will help with that.  (As an aside, I always find the first weeks in a new job very tiring -- so much to learn & get used to!).  I got back to my usual energy levels by the summer; here's hoping it happens soon for you.

Thank you, and thanks for the reassurance. I'm glad (well, not glad, exactly) someone else got here and collapsed a bit. It's off-putting, feeling as if I had more energy when life was work/uni/freelance plus getting on a plane every six weeks -- I feel as if two jobs should feel like nothing! But you make a good point about starting a new job (which is something I'm happy to have landed whilst looking for work in my career; gives me a sense of purpose). And you got your usual energy levels back in a couple months, so that makes me feel optimistic. Looking forward to getting to that point!

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 06:44:11 PM »
I've been back in the UK for 4 months now and its taken me this long to get my energy back. I was ok while we were very busy with the move and unpacking etc.,  but I just crashed after that and could only manage the minimum. It wasn't until yesterday that I managed to get a reasonable amount of housework done in a reasonable amount of time, and the first day I really felt like myself! I"m probably quite a bit older than you, but I feel like its taken me a long time to adjust to life in a "different" country.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:05:47 PM »
Sometimes I think I'm still on US time - my best sleep comes from 4 am onwards. And 7 am is too early waking up!  :P
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 07:08:54 PM »
I've been back in the UK for 4 months now and its taken me this long to get my energy back. I was ok while we were very busy with the move and unpacking etc.,  but I just crashed after that and could only manage the minimum. It wasn't until yesterday that I managed to get a reasonable amount of housework done in a reasonable amount of time, and the first day I really felt like myself! I"m probably quite a bit older than you, but I feel like its taken me a long time to adjust to life in a "different" country.
At 33, I'm not what I'd call old, but I'd love to have the energy of my 23-year-old self again. I don't like not feeling like myself, but it's reassuring to know I'm not alone on this. How did you manage feeling as if you were doing only "the minimum"? Was it just a matter of laying off yourself mentally and giving yourself permission to crash out? (This is, perhaps, a survival skill I should learn.)

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
Sometimes I think I'm still on US time - my best sleep comes from 4 am onwards. And 7 am is too early waking up!  :P
Hah! I'd love to get back to my 6 a.m. wake-up time, but that feels like a faraway dream.

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »
Yes, I gave myself permission to watch TV, knit, read etc. and not to attempt more than I felt I could manage. I'm in my mid 50's and usually quite energetic, but I've also been dealing with a shoulder injury which has probably taken it out of me as well.

We've moved quite a bit and I usually start off pretty enthusiastic, run out of steam, and then get back into the groove after a while.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 06:10:35 PM »
Yes, I gave myself permission to watch TV, knit, read etc. and not to attempt more than I felt I could manage. I'm in my mid 50's and usually quite energetic, but I've also been dealing with a shoulder injury which has probably taken it out of me as well.

We've moved quite a bit and I usually start off pretty enthusiastic, run out of steam, and then get back into the groove after a while.
Yeah, I've been sick on and off since I landed. Probably low immune system due to stress. It's just hard, when you're used to being an energetic person, to accept that you're not going to be for an indefinite period!

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 07:09:49 PM »
Last year I got the WORST jet lag. I had a really bad stomach, headache and flu like pains.
I even went to the doctor because I thought I had the flu- but they said it was just jet lag. I think it took me 3.5 weeks to get over it.

Miserable! Just try to get plenty of rest, try to get some sunlight & fresh air everyday and take care of yourself.
LLR Oct 2009, ILR Nov 2011, Citizen June 2013
DH's Greencard May 2013- back in the USA Aug 2013!

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 11:23:56 AM »
Last year I got the WORST jet lag. I had a really bad stomach, headache and flu like pains.
I even went to the doctor because I thought I had the flu- but they said it was just jet lag. I think it took me 3.5 weeks to get over it.

Miserable! Just try to get plenty of rest, try to get some sunlight & fresh air everyday and take care of yourself.
Ugh. So, so sorry to hear that. No one warns you that it can happen to this extent! Been trying to go for a walk every day, and I've also decided to give in to the urge to nap on days I'm at home doing writing/editing work. Fighting it is only going to make the exhaustion worse.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »
I read somewhere that transitioning beforehand as much as possible to the intended time zone regarding eating and drinking and sleeping helps. A SAD lamp can also help, so I have heard.

I find it's about an hour per hour time difference for me.

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »
I read somewhere that transitioning beforehand as much as possible to the intended time zone regarding eating and drinking and sleeping helps. A SAD lamp can also help, so I have heard.

I find it's about an hour per hour time difference for me.
Yeah, that's what I think of as typical jet lag, though. I'm "on schedule" insomuch as I'm sleeping well for seven or eight hours a night during the appropriate period. That was pretty easy for me, as I've been nipping over here approximately every six weeks for two-and-a-half years and know the drill. It's the general, overall physical exhaustion that I'm experiencing that I'm not used to. My husband thinks it's the knock-on effects of burnout (three years of work/freelance/second uni degree, then with the added visa/moving/etc nonsense the past four months on top of it all) and that I should stop feeling guilty about naps.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab