Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Pink Ladies Breast Cancer Walk = Sexist?  (Read 1489 times)

• Liked: 0
Pink Ladies Breast Cancer Walk = Sexist?
« on: June 23, 2013, 07:59:13 PM »
Okay, maybe I am one of the few people to feel this way, but please tell me if this is a cultural thing...

I was asked to participate in the Pink Ladies Breast Cancer charity walk by my mother-in-law and I of course agreed. When I asked if men (ie my husband) was allowed to participate in the walk, both she and my husband sort of laughed as if that was a ridiculous idea. Apparently men are not encouraged or even allowed to participate in the walk. I really couldn't believe it!

Since when is support of breast cancer research a "woman only" thing? Do women afflicted with breast cancer not also affect the men in their lives? Don't men also get breast cancer?

I understand the whole "girl power" thing, but why can't both genders pull together to support the cause? I equally felt the same with a local charity supporting prostate cancer research and how lovely it would be would feel comfortable enough to get involved.

What are your thoughts? Am I just "making too big a deal of it" as my husband said?
Aug. 2010 - Met husband to be while teaching English at the same school in South Korea
Jul. 2012 - Moved to Guernsey, Channel Islands on a fiancé visa
Aug. 2012 - Got married! FLR granted
Aug. 2014 - ILR granted
Aug. 2015 - Applying for citizenship

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
Re: Pink Ladies Breast Cancer Walk = Sexist?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 08:10:21 PM »
Huh. I'm nearly positive I've seen men participating in the walks before (on TV). Not sure if it was in the USA or the UK. I truly can't imagine why they wouldn't be allowed/encouraged to do so.
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 09:00:52 PM »
I'm with Fallgal, I could have sworn I've seen men on those walks before. I don't see why they couldn't participate or why they would be discouraged. Men can get breast cancer too... It could be your particular section of Pink? Maybe they have one particular race just for women and another mixed? Or maybe your MIL was incorrect?

For some reason while reading your post I couldn't help but recall when I was talking to a male friend about feminism and the idea of male feminists astounded him. "How can there be male feminists?" One of those palm to forehead moments :P

I personally don't think you're making 'too big' of fuss over it, I think it's a worthy topic for good discussion. On that note, it doesn't sound like your DH and MIL are sexist, maybe they haven't been personally affected by breast cancer or knew anyone close to them who has suffered from it. I don't think a son who has lost his mother to cancer would think it's only a women's issue. If their only thoughts and exposure to breast cancer have been Pink charities, mostly run by women wearing pink, that could be a reason why.

That said, if your section of Pink is restricting their walks to just women, maybe contact them and say that perhaps their exclusivity (especially since they're a very well-known charity) is discouraging men from joining or showing their support. For me doesn't make sense for a charity that is so well-known in the mainstream to be exclusive :/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:22:21 PM by RAR »
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
This is in Guernsey, Channel Islands. I even saw the event promoted in the local newspaper as a "women only" walk and I know of no upcoming male inclusive events.
Aug. 2010 - Met husband to be while teaching English at the same school in South Korea
Jul. 2012 - Moved to Guernsey, Channel Islands on a fiancé visa
Aug. 2012 - Got married! FLR granted
Aug. 2014 - ILR granted
Aug. 2015 - Applying for citizenship

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 08:57:04 AM »
How horrible!  A doctor I used to work with whom I was very close to died of breast cancer. To think that this is a "woman's illness" is a really backwards way of thinking. 
We stole countries with the cunning use of flags. Just sail around the world and stick a flag in. "I claim India for Britain!" They're going "You can't claim us, we live here! Five hundred million of us!" "Do you have a flag …? "What? We don't need a flag, this is our home, you bastards" "No flag, No Country, You can't have one! Those are the rules... that I just made up!...and I'm backing it up with this gun, that was lent to me from the National Rifle Association."

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »
I don't see why they couldn't participate or why they would be discouraged. Men can get breast cancer too...

This. It deters half the population from caring or donating, even though they can get it too, as can their wives, mothers, daughters. It's a human issue.  :-\\\\

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:32:26 AM »
I even saw the event promoted in the local newspaper as a "women only" walk

Woah!  That is just nuts.  I just can't wrap my head around their reason to exclude men.  ??? ???
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

Sponsored Links