Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ettiquette question - can one avoid talking politics?  (Read 1107 times)

• If only the Chunnel went to Norfolk...
  • Liked: 1
Ettiquette question - can one avoid talking politics?
« on: October 20, 2004, 03:38:16 PM »
Without actually getting into a discussion of politics in this thread, let me just say that my political leanings are probably not the same as those of most English citizens.  And that's okay.  I'm not interested in trying to change anyone's mind.  But I'm also not interested in people trying to change my mind, and I'm definitely not interested in trying to explain or justify my beliefs.

But is it possible to stay out of political discussions altogether, or to politely change the subject if it comes up?  Do people take the American accent as an invitation to talk about our government?  Is this something I might have to face often?

Just trying to prepare myself!  :)
Shell (US) and SteveB (UK)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: Ettiquette question - can one avoid talking politics?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 04:10:30 PM »
It depends on who you know.

Sometimes people want to strike up small talk and the only thing they can thing of is my accent, so they talk about the obvious things, like "Oh I went to Florida once" or "Have you ever been to New York?" or "What do you think about George Bush"... in my experience anyway. (recently I've been let off the hook though, because my baby is an obvious conversation starter!)

In fact, a lot of people have taken my accent as an invitation to have a onversation about George Bush. I'm pretty good at ignoring people though, and at saying "I don't like talking politics" - - - I'll still get an earful, mind you, but I'm enough of my mother that I can open up the cavity inside my head and let things pass in one ear and out the other. ;)

As long as you are polite, you won't have a problem. Unless you're talking to a complete jerk, and jerks are an international phenomenon. Deal with them as you normally would. ;)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 04:26:27 PM »
I have found that politics come up in conversation regardless of where you are.  I just tell people that I prefer to keep my political beliefs to myself, and that's that.  I have very strong beliefs, and just don't feel like getting into it with anyone.

Of course, for those who push the issue, I just start asking them a similar line of questions about thier nations politics...

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 04:36:32 PM »
I was shopping at a large shopping mall in Kent, when George W. was visiting the UK last year.  Whenever someone heard my american accent, they would say things like, "your friend is in town", or "the people of England are wasting money hosting your president", and so on.  I was just trying to try some shoes on and was not in a poltical frame of mind.  I would just decline to comment, some people took that, others just contuined to chat away about the US politics.  You can not control what someone will say, but you can excuse yourself from the situation.  I think some people just love to hear themselves speak. 

• If only the Chunnel went to Norfolk...
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 05:08:14 PM »
I'm okay talking politics here in America, though I don't seek it out.  I guess because there's so much common ground to start with, even if the end result is someone who disagrees with me.  There's so much general knowledge about how the government is organized (note to self:  study the English structure of govt!) that is impossible to convey to someone in a brief conversation.  How laws differ from state to state, what limits the Constitution places on the government, why we only have two major parties, etc.  And then there's the popular vote vs. the Electoral College--well, plenty of Americans have trouble understanding that one too.   ;)

Anyway, if I was friends with someone, I wouldn't mind going into things like this, if I knew I could talk about the basic structure of things without it devolving into "our way is better than your way!" silliness.  But someone I didn't know, I'd have no interest in even going into it.  It just wouldn't be worth it.

So I'm trying to arm myself with potential replies:

*  Your friend is in town:  "Oh, yes.  I'm having him over for tea." (with a chuckle)

*  What do you think about George Bush?  "I've never met him."  (Is that too snarky?)

*  Who did you vote for?  "Don't be silly.  It's a secret ballot." (with a smile to indicate no offense was taken)

Still working on these:

*  You Americans are all imperialistic warmongers!

*  How can you slaughter the Iraqi people?

*  How can you support Israel?

*  It's all about the oil!

Perhaps I'm more worried about this than I should be.  I had an English friend who was very strident in her beliefs, and every time I said something about the American way of doing things, she had three or four arguments about why the English way was better, and why we were wrong wrong wrong.  This was not just about things like policy, but included things like the structure of government and Constitutional powers.  ::)    She thought I should be more politically active (voting wasn't enough), and she was continually trying to convince me to vote the way she would have, as if I was her surrogate vote to give her a voice in US politics.  Needless to say, we are no longer friends. 

Anyway, I know that is close to the worst-case scenario, rather than what one typically would encounter.  I'd just prefer to be prepared and avoid even going down that road.
Shell (US) and SteveB (UK)

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 05:23:42 PM »
Shell, If something comes up regarding politics or George W., just simply say that you Do not discuss politics and believe everyone has a right to his/her own beliefs.  I have done this and usually people respect it, wnd no one is offended. 

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 06:29:29 PM »
I agree.  Whenever go on at me I just politely say i don't discuss politics.  It seems to work most times.

Sponsored Links