Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Immigrations' views about on-line relationships  (Read 1739 times)

Re: Immigrations' views about on-line relationships
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 03:27:17 PM »
Garry, why would you say a chat transcript is "too risky"?  Not that I was going to do that, but I'm just curious.

• It's not a good idea.  Chatroom transcripts generally appear like a scripted dialog between two personae using screen names; and it does nothing for the credibility or dignity of the application to present evidence that's not based upon two real people interacting.
  • In the noncorporeal internet world, two chatters will develop a personalized shorthand vocabulary; it makes sense to them because they invented it intuitively.  The context for the dispassionate reader of what's said, however, can be dramatically different.  It just invites misinterpretations of every sort.  OH!  And never, ever, *never* submit something that discusses about the visa.  Or some dialog having concerns about it.  Unless an advisor has seen it and approved it.  And an advisor will *NOT* approve it. 
  • The fiance application requires you to establish that you have met; and that you intend to marry.  Chat logs are not convincing evidence of either of these things!  And yes, they need some comfort that  it's not an MOC, hence my suggestion that photos are comfortably romantic and geographically distinctive.  And after the Home Office created the UP visa, UK/American couples stopped doing MOC's. 
  •   It's personal communication.  If it's lengthy, they will send it to a flunky - i.e., a local hire - to read through it.  It gets laying around in a pub or on somebody's desk...
  • Scenario:  you send in your app with the chatroom log; next day the chatroom is named as haunt for a music downloaders [paedophile, drug, terrorist, etc, etc] ring.  Then what?

Caveat:  It's also good to bear in mind that I prepare applications for the more difficult British embassies where they are real twits about everything - Embassies in Minsk, Almaty, Chisinau, Ekaterinburg, to name a few.  So the need for a flawless, spotless application is more acute. 

In NYC, Chicago or LA they are very relaxed and they don't generally refuse anybody.  Despite the very easy process at British  embassies in the US, it still makes sense to take it seriously and to have the best application that you can prepare.

And finally, meeting online is perfectly acceptable.   Falling in love with an internet persona, however, and deciding to marry and take up life in a land one has only visited for 2 weeks - it raises the same questions it always did.  And answering those questions are not in IND's remit.  They only have to confirm that you met in person.

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2004, 03:40:06 PM »

• The fiance application requires you to establish that you have met; and that you intend to marry.  Chat logs are not convincing evidence of either of these things!  And yes, they need some comfort that  it's not an MOC, hence my suggestion that photos are comfortably romantic and geographically distinctive.  And after the Home Office created the UP visa, UK/American couples stopped doing MOC's. 
Forgive my ignorance, but what is an "MOC"?
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004, 03:52:06 PM »
MOC = marriage of convenience

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 04:00:47 PM »
Ahhhhh....I see.  LOL, and as we all know on here, those of us who really love and want to be with our UK partners, there is nothing "convenient" about it!
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2004, 10:21:48 PM »
I'm soo happy to hear I don't need chat logs. By the way, it wasn't from a chat room, we talk on msn messenger and when they save chats to file it's like several days worth. If I had to use those I would have to wade through all the conversations and edit parts I didn't want them to see. I have another question that has to do with the visa process. should I get my plane ticket before I send in my application? I believe on the application it asks for the intended date for the trip and should it be a 6 month return flight, even though I won't be returning if it is approved? also, are Scotlands requirements for marriage different than Englands? I have all the documents I need since I've been married before and I have proof of my divorce 9 years ago. I have no children so there's no issue with that.

Songmistress, you are so right! there's nothing convenient about our relationships and we certainly aren't getting married because we love Britians  rain and cold weather, or it's cloudy over-cast..or might I add all their lovely little taxes for everything! ;) Like I said, I've been divorced for 9 years, if I wanted a marriage of convenience I would of done that a long time ago but I won't marry for anything but love and it has to be right because once I'm married that's it for me. I'm 39 years old and dagnabbit I deserve to be happy! :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 10:38:19 PM by Kay65 »

• Liked: 8
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2004, 07:55:22 AM »
You don't have to have the plane ticket, but you should write in the date that you actually plan to fly over (or at least a reasonable guess if you don't know exactly when you'll be over here).

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2004, 08:45:34 AM »
Getting married in Scotland is slightly different from England.  It's been awhile now since we got married but I know I had to send my birth certificate up there to have notice given or some such thing.  Here's a website that might help:

http://www.weddingguideuk.co.uk

I found that site very useful when planning our Scottish wedding.

For our application, we had called the registrar where we wanted to get married and tentatively booked the date we wanted with them, then put this information on our application.  They just want to see that you have started planning things.

Also, you obviously won't need the return leg of your ticket if the visa is approved but it might be cheaper to by a round trip ticket and just not use the return. 

Sponsored Links