Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Canadian student wanting to study in the UK  (Read 2800 times)

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
Canadian student wanting to study in the UK
« on: July 24, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
Hi all.

I have a Canadian friend who would like to study in England. I just thought I'd help her out and inquire how one starts the process?  Any info, tips or links would be much appreciated.  She is going to do her own research of course, but I thought the more info, the better. :)
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Dreams Are A Wish Your Heart Makes ♚
  • Liked: 1
Re: Canadian student wanting to study in the UK
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 05:00:11 PM »
Hi Fallgal,

I came over here from the USA to England on a student visa.  My husband (an Englishman) is also a student and helped me through the entire application process. Apparently this site UCAS is how British students apply to the universities, there is one site that you can apply to your choice of five (I believe) universities.  Your friend can fill out an application online (useful because in this case you fill out one instead of five) through this site and it takes you step by step through the process and sends e-mail updates for various other stages one might encounter (like a portfolio request) or maybe one program requires something additional.  Your friend can also search for courses you are interested in and where they are available if you haven't decided on which universities offer your program. :)

Here is the link: http://www.ucas.com/ [nofollow]

I would recommend perhaps looking a bit more into the universities she is interested in online (once she identifies the ones that offer what she is interested in) and maybe contacting course leaders to get more info about a particular program if she needs before she chooses which she would like to apply to and also making sure she meets the requirements for her desired programs.  I also think there is certain deadlines for applying so she may want to check into these as well to make sure she applies in time for the term she wishes to start in. I hope this helps. :)

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." -Marilyn Monroe ♥

• The Wordsmith Desk
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 09:34:03 PM »
Hey thank you for sharing all this.  I will look at this link myself and also send it on to my friend. She is looking for Fall 2014 I believe.

She is coming for a 6 week visit in the fall (along with her sister). I will meet her for the first time, having met her online on an X-Files forum and been emailing for about 12? years.  So I am so excited, especially that she may be able to come back as a student!

Very helpful! Thank you again! :)
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 11:09:41 PM »
Apparently this site UCAS is how British students apply to the universities, there is one site that you can apply to your choice of five (I believe) universities.

Your friend can fill out an application online (useful because in this case you fill out one instead of five) through this site and it takes you step by step through the process and sends e-mail updates for various other stages one might encounter (like a portfolio request) or maybe one program requires something additional.  Your friend can also search for courses you are interested in and where they are available if you haven't decided on which universities offer your program. :)

UCAS is only for undergraduate applications, so it would depend on whether Fallgal's friend is applying for undergraduate or graduate programmes, as the application process is different for postgraduates.

For UCAS, you can apply to a maximum of 6 programmes (at least it was 6 when I applied, but that was in 2000), unless you are applying for medicine/veterinary science/dentistry in which case I believe it is only 4. Those 6 applications are actually for 6 different academic programmes, so if you wanted to apply for 2 separate programmes at the same university (say, the Geography programme and Environmental Science programme) that would count as 2 applications out of your allowed 6.

If you are applying for graduate programmes, then you just apply directly to the university, and there is no limit on how many universities you can apply to.

I also think there is certain deadlines for applying so she may want to check into these as well to make sure she applies in time for the term she wishes to start in. I hope this helps. :) [/i][/font][/color]

Yes, there are deadlines.

When I applied, the deadlines were:

- October 15th for anyone applying to Oxford or Cambridge or for people applying for medicine/veterinary science/dentistry - so for programmes starting in September 2014, the deadline would be October 2013.

- December 15th for all other applicants (it may be January now though).

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 01:49:49 PM »
What does your friend want to study and at what level (undergrad / postgrad)? What province / territory are they from / resident in? How old are they? Do they have access to an EU / EEA citizenship?

I would consider:

1. courses that have UK exchanges in the area of preferred study for undergrad, as likely cheaper than UK international student fees (regardless of whether also a EU / EEA citizen)

2. or maybe UK postgrad, as usually only one year to Canada's 1 - 2, dependent on what one is studying   

3. or completing a Canadian degree and getting a working holiday visa, if meet the age / other requirements, if not have access to an EU / EEA citizenship

4. or completing a Canadian degree and get EU / EEA citizenship, if have access and work or do postgrad study to limit UK international student fees, as non EU / EEA resident

To search postgrad courses:
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgraduate_study.htm

HTH.  :)

• The Wordsmith Desk
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »
Thanks so much Ksand and MapleLeafGirl!

I will pass all of this along. She is an older student - 29, lives in B.C. I know she has studied in New Zealand and Australia as well. This would be for graduate studies.

Thanks again, everyone! :)

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »
Fallgal, just wondered what your mate is up to / decided? Only 'cause I am nosy, like, about my compatriots.  :P :D

• The Wordsmith Desk
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 06:15:53 PM »
I did pass her both yours and Ksands' info (thank you again!) She is coming in 2 weeks (and staying for 6) so I guess I/she will know then! :)

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »
Hope it all goes well - would love to know how she gets on..... :)

Sponsored Links