Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Major Vent  (Read 2096 times)

• Liked: 82
Major Vent
« on: August 26, 2013, 03:19:33 AM »
Just a quick vent.  Need to do it here as I know my friends and family are tired of it at this point....I here them trying not to sigh....but they have never gone through this.

Ok so as you all know I have been apart from my DH since 17 March after his mum's funeral and we sorted out 3 different visa attempts.  Thankfully the final one was approved in July.  And I started packing our home....by myself.  He came back for 2 weeks in August to "help" ie pack his personal things.  Which I didn't mind.  He would just get in the way with the major packing.

Now everything is nearly done.  I think I have 6 boxes to pack.  The dishes, just plates and bowls.  Some books I cannot part with, and some odds and ends that didn't make it into the other boxes.  The movers come Tuesday (thankfully all these boxes will be gone and I can walk around without stubbing my toe again. 

The cat leaves tomorrow....and that is what is causing me stress at the moment.  I know all her paperwork is perfect. Pets on Jets have said said so and so has Servisair.  I just am dying thinking about her in the belly of a plane for 7 hours.....then a drive to the house.....and 5 days without me.  She didn't react well when DH came home.  Tho she hadn't seen him since the beginning of February.  It had just been us.  And I got her before me and DH got together.  Thank goodness for Vonage and speakerphone so I can still talk to her and hear her cry.  And thank goodness for smart phones and Whats App so I can get daily pics!!  PS I recommend everyone get What's App.  It has been a lifesaver to keep costs down while texting DH and his family in Liverpool. 

Anywho.  I will cry like a baby tomorrow when I leave her and probably until Sunday morning when I see her again.  As DH said....."Teamwork... I am here now, the gray ball of fur comes next and finally we will be complete on Sunday"

At this point I don't really care is the ship carrying our stuff sinks.......so longs as this gray fluff ball gets there safe and relatively unscathed.

Sorry my short rant went a bit long....5 days 20 hours 1 minute til my flight!!!!

• Liked: 0
Re: Major Vent
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:13:06 AM »
Hi, JennyEye. I can completely relate. My wife arrived in London last Friday, and I am still waiting on my visa, but am closing out the apartment in NYC as well as prepping our two cats to leave for London on this coming Friday.

I am nervous about the paperwork, nervous about traumatizing the cats, and worried that I will miss something (today I was obsessing about the size of the carriers and whether or not their "ears are not touching the ceiling").

I am also really worried about my not getting my visa approved because my wife (as of July 8) has been a student without income for the last five years, and she is my sponsor. So our application was not necessarily "cut and dry" though we did et advised by a senior case manager at the UKBA who consults with the school my wife got hired at. Still. I am nervous, and on Friday I will send the rest of my small family to London and be here by myself waiting on the good/bad news.

Closing out an apartment/house is not easy. We can't bring anything with us but what we can fit into three or four suitcases each. I will be crashing with multiple friends on their couches as of Saturday. I have not quit my job yet, just in case things go south, but the uncertainty is killing me.

My wife is looking for an apartment, and opening a bank account, and doing her best to prepare for the arrival of the cats. She will start her job on September 4. And whether or not we like it, I will most likely not be there to help ready the house or see her off. She doesn't need me to do those things, but when we started dreaming this
"move to London" dream, that was a big part of it. Instead, we are now on two different continents, trying to do what we can, but mostly just stuck... waiting.

Hang in there. You don't have long till you are reunited with your family on the other side.

KG

Visa App delivered to Sheffield via Fed-Ex: July 25, 2013
"Received and processing" email received: August 7th, 2013
Decision email received: waiting
23 July 2013 - sent package to UKBA in Sheffield.
25 July2013 - package received at UKBA
7 August 2013 - received emails saying Visa being processed, and needing a Fed-Ex account number

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:47:59 AM »
Good luck.  I hope it all works out.  We applied 3 times, once i withdrew it so I could attend the funeral, the next was denied, and the third was nearly denied....but we got a request for more info.  It didn't look promising until I found a mistake on the application and pointed it out to them and it was approved the day after they received the information and the pointed out mistake.  So weather it was the info we sent (doubt it it wasn't strong) or the loophole I will never know.  Hang in there.  And if you need to vent I can be an ear......I have gone/ am going through it

• Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:55:12 AM »
Sorry to hear about your stress.  We've all been through similar agonies. 

I 'talk' to my cat back in US on the phone!  My son puts it on speaker and he (the cat!) recognizes my voice, then goes and purrs into the phone.  (I miss them both)
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »
Exactly why I wanted to vent on here.  People here get the way I feel.  Where my family and friends are all "Suck it up....you are moving to England" or "so jealous you are moving to another country.....stop complaining" 

Hope you get to see you cat and son soon x

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 02:52:38 AM »
Ah Jenny, I understand completely. When I moved my cats over to Dubai and later on the UK - my possessions didn't matter, all my stuff could have been lost, I just wanted them to arrive safe and secure. I was in bits without them.
Take good care x

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Ah Jenny, I understand completely. When I moved my cats over to Dubai and later on the UK - my possessions didn't matter, all my stuff could have been lost, I just wanted them to arrive safe and secure. I was in bits without them.
Take good care x

Thanks Kathryn

Kitty arrived safe.  She seems ok at night but in the daylight she hides.  Doesn't like the carpet in the front room (it is patterned)  DH says she walks around in there like she is wearing a nappy.  All the stuff we are taking is packi=ed up and movers took it away yesterday.  240 cubic feet for $2268 total....big surprise thought it was more cubic feet and be more money :)

So now I have to just clean up and bag all the stuff we aren't keeping and throw it all out.  And fly out on Saturday.......Stress relieved

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 08:31:10 PM »
Yeah for kitty! I remember crying when my parents called and said they dropped mine at the airport - I was sooooo worried.  But they were fine and are still happy in the UK a few years later.

Sponsored Links