• Liked: 0
What to do
« on: October 23, 2004, 11:02:50 AM »
 ???
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 08:46:42 AM by Sheri67 »

Re: What to do with the US house?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 11:36:27 AM »
I have a house in Tennessee that I own.  I did not want to sell it so I choose to rent it out.  That way if or when we want to return the US we have a place to live.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 12:08:10 PM »
I sold mine, as we weren't sure we'd be moving back to Atltanta if we ever do move to the US. I did consider renting but my house was very middle market - so the people that could afford to have rented it, could have afforded their own mortgage. It simply wasn't worth the hassle in my case.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 03:33:45 PM »
I sold thinking that I would not be back for a long period of time. Hind sight is 20/20. I moved back a year later and the real estate market went crazy. Now I wish I would have rented - I am buying a house now that is two times what I sold mine for :(

• Hi there.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 10:35:18 PM »
We sold ours - not sure if we would be back to NJ when we do come back to the states.  Also took advantage of the hot real estate market to get our equity out and put it into other investments.

If you decide to rent it out, try to get a property management company to deal with the problems so you won't have to worry from across the pond.

It was a 'dream house' and I miss it terribly (especially after seeing the cost of real estate here); but I know we did the right thing.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 11:37:56 AM »
I sold mine.  I tried to rent it but it all fell through and in the end, I needed the money to move here.  I loved my house but I wanted to live here more than I wanted to keep my house. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 03:43:19 PM »
I sold mine. If you decide to rent yours out then you may want to consider hiring a property manager. If the plumbing starts acting up how will you (the owner) be able to fix it from over seas? I also don't trust people very well and I have seen damages some renters have left behind. What will you do if you decide to rent it and they don't pay you? In California it takes 4 mths to legally have someone removed from your property. Can you afford to do that? If money is not an issue, then by all means lease it...If you can't afford the trouble, I'd get rid of it now.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab