Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Does anyone know anything about telescopes?  (Read 1781 times)

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
Does anyone know anything about telescopes?
« on: October 12, 2013, 08:06:58 PM »
My lovely DH is one of those infuriating creatures who, if they want something, usually goes out and buys it (within reason), even though Christmas or his birthday is coming up. So coming up with gift ideas is usually quite difficult!

I thought about getting him a telescope for Christmas. He has always been interested in the astronomy, loves gazing at the stars, reads books and watches programs on the subject. So, I started searching and I realize I know absolutely NOTHING about telescopes, not even enough to make a guess at what to get. I also didn't realize they were sooo expensive.

However, I found the following site: http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Telescopes.htm

and the telescopes are grouped into price ranges, I guess dependent on one's experience and/or budget.

If you know anything about telescopes, could you take a look at this site. I'd like to stay under 400 quid if possible (including any accessory he might need). Is this possible?

Alternately, what should I look for in a decent telescope?

Thank you!
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Liked: 163
Re: Does anyone know anything about telescopes?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »
There's a UK astronomy forum called Stargazers Lounge that is really good at answering this kind of question:

http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/186-getting-started-equipment-help-and-advice/

In addition to your budget, some of the questions you'll be asked to narrow down your choice will be:

- What does your husband want to see (i.e. does he want to see the Moon and the planets in our solar system, or far away things like galaxies - called Deep Sky Objects (DSOs))?

- Does he intend to just look, or to also take pictures with a camera attached to the telescope (pictures = more expensive & complicated)?

- How portable does the scope need to be?  (He might see more with a bigger scope, but if it's a giant pain to carry out to the garden and set up each time, it might not be a good idea for a beginner.)

When it comes time to buy, Telescope House is a good site, and I know First Light Optics is also recommended by the forum for giving good service.

• The Wordsmith Desk
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 01:19:01 PM »
Thank you so very much for this information, Camoscato. I will check out that site. You've been a big help! :)
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.

• The Wordsmith Desk
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 04:21:41 PM »
Hi Camoscato,

I just wanted to thank you again for your help!  I ended up getting him the telescope below. He LOVES it. He was very excited when he opened it yesterday. I got him a couple books to go with it so he knows what he is doing. :)  It was a huge hit!  Thank you!

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

• Liked: 163
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »
You're welcome again!  That's a good choice, and I'm sure he'll be happy with it.  :)

Sponsored Links