Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Blockbuster In The US Closing Down!!  (Read 1619 times)

• Liked: 0
Blockbuster In The US Closing Down!!
« on: November 07, 2013, 09:58:10 AM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dish-network-close-blockbuster-stores-193325822.html

The end of an era!!! But then I suppose it couldnt compete with Netflix and Amazon!! Blockbuster was really having a hard time in the advent of Redbox, the DVD and game rental "vending machine" that you see in Wal-Marts, Targets, MacDonalds, shopping malls!! Redbox only charged $1 per rental, plus you could keep it for far longer that Blockbuster would allow you to!!

I wonder if this will affect Blockbuster here in the UK though. It could very well do so in the advent of Netflix, Lovefilm and Amazon here!!

• Now I'm home. :)
    • The Wordsmith Desk
  • Liked: 20
Re: Blockbuster In The US Closing Down!!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 10:53:30 AM »
This surprised me as I had no idea that Blockbuster was still in business!
British Citizenship approval: May 2016
Ceremony: July 2016
Well, she was an American girl, raised on promises.
She couldn't help thinking that there was a little more to life, somewhere else.
After all it was a great big world, with lots of places to run to.
And if she had to die trying she had one little promise she was gonna keep.

Comprehensive CV/Résumé Preparation
Writing, Proofreading & Editing Services
www.thewordsmithdesk.co.uk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 01:24:17 PM »
Heck I didn't even know Yahoo was still in business....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 223
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 01:28:43 PM »
Thirded! I can't remember the last time I rented from an actual video store...... I honestly thought they had all mostly closed already....
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 03:10:33 PM »
All the Blockbusters where I lived closed about 10 years ago.  I had no idea they were still alive in the US at all.

I was shocked to see Blockbuster in the UK when I moved here 3 years ago but those have closed as well (the ones near me).

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 07:43:20 AM »
All the Blockbusters where I lived closed about 10 years ago.  I had no idea they were still alive in the US at all.

I was shocked to see Blockbuster in the UK when I moved here 3 years ago but those have closed as well (the ones near me).

Theres a Blockbuster store near me in Ringwood, Hampshire still open as well as a couple of others in and around Bournemouth!! Obviously these branches never got the memos!! ::) ::)

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 11:54:37 AM »
I read something recently about how, with the demise of Blockbuster, there's an expectation that the small, niche, independent video store might see a comeback sort of in the way vinyl has. Certainly nothing on a massive scale, but in certain markets. I found that suggestion interesting and certainly plausible.

I remember going to our local video stores in high school and, looking back, they were often carefully curated rather than just walls upon walls of 100 copies each of the most popular titles. We could go in there and talk with the people who worked there about film, and when you got to know each other and tastes enough, they'd have suggestions for you whenever you came in. I quite like that.

Netflix in the US is great with its variety, loads of documentaries and foreign films that Blockbuster just never would have had, but I would certainly be interested in being able to chat to a human being and rent those sorts of things from a brick-and-mortar shop.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• Liked: 12
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 05:24:13 PM »
DS was manager of a video store (small chain) and they did try to provide what the customers wanted.  He knows movies forwards and backwards so was always able to help people find "the one with ..."  Of course the shop closed down five years ago.  I too was surprised to see Blockbuster still with a presence in the UK.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »

I remember going to our local video stores in high school and, looking back, they were often carefully curated rather than just walls upon walls of 100 copies each of the most popular titles. We could go in there and talk with the people who worked there about film, and when you got to know each other and tastes enough, they'd have suggestions for you whenever you came in. I quite like that.

This. Was quite a coveted job when I was in high school, but extensive film knowledge was essential!

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 02:29:19 AM »
Blockbuster was doing DVD by Mail and streaming years ago.  I had their DVD by Mail and streaming for years.  The just could not compete with Amazon and Netflix.  I was only paying $8.00 per month but that was because I was grandfathered in when they closed their stores and went to mail and streaming

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab