Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Converting my American resume to a British style "C.V."?  (Read 6546 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 0
Re: Converting my American resume to a British style "C.V."?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2004, 06:07:09 PM »
Good post Mimsy.

I agree. It could be worth customising the CV to best emphasise the attributes that match the requirements of the post applied for.

In short, there is no "one fits all" solution.
Keep it brief and relevant.

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 01:32:33 PM »
Lexie,

To clarify what I wrote before, I didn't say that one page is the maximum a resume should be. I did say that the general rule of thumb is one page per 10 years of experience. (And you'll see that I edited my previous post, because there was an "and" in one sentence that didn't belong there--again, be sure that your resume and cover letter are impeccable in spelling, grammar, etc.) Also, use high-quality stationery.

I still disagree that you should include your date of birth, etc. on your resume itself. Ys, IF you get so far as to have a realistic shot at a job, you'll be required to provide that information on the organization's application form, regardless. But noting it prominently at the top of your resume could rule you out without your ever meeting the prospective employer, for reasons known only to the employer. Your name, address and telephone number(s) are sufficient.

I also think that if you're bothering to apply for a job where, say, an MBA or Ph.D., etc., is preferred, if not out and out required, the employer will assume you have those qualifications, or you wouldn't be bothering to apply. So again, if you have sufficient work experience, I still think you should leave your educational background at the end of your resume.

As someone else mentioned, if you're interested in more than one field, it might be worth your while to have a couple of resumes prepared, each stressing your background in the specific field over other experience.

But again, if your cover letter isn't spot on, it doesn't matter what's on your resume. And, if possible, find out whom, specifically, it should be addressed to (call the company and ask). As you know, a lot of employers, when advertising a job, will just give their address, along with a reference number of job name so whoever opens the mail knows whom to forward it to. Knowing who will ultimately be reading and/or choosing from the resumes shows initiative that most people don't bother with. I would rather read a cover letter addressed to me by name than to "Dear Sir or Madam" or "To Whom It May Concern."

If you're called for an interview and have any leeway in setting up the appointment date, try to be one of the last people interviewed before "closing time" for interviews, specifically if it's a job where a lot of other people are likely to have been interviewed. It just makes sense that the people interviewed toward the end of the interviewing period will be the freshest in the interviewer's mind.

And then there are the obvious things, such as finding out all you can about the company's background and plans for the future before you go to an interview. Have answers prepared for challenging questions you suppose may be asked. Also, inevitably, the interviewer will ask, toward the end of the interview, whether you have any questions. Have some prepared beforehand, or be quick on your feet and ask about something discussed during the interview. Don't say, "No, no questions," unless you've made up your mind that you definitely don't want the job.

Last, but not least, always, ALWAYS write a thank-you note to the person who interviewed you, as soon as possible (ideally, have it in the mail the same or next day), and regardless of whether you think the interview went well or not. Few people bother to do that, and that will stick out in your interviewer's mind. Specifically mention things you discussed, particularly ones that it seems unlikely have been brought up in other interviews. Even if you don't get that particular job, you may be the first person who comes to mind for future openings.

Okay, enough from Ms. Know-It-All. :)

Suzanne

P.S. Although I haven't read either book in years, I recommend you pick up:

1. "Who's Hiring Who: How to Find That Job Fast" (although, annoyingly, it should be "Who's Hiring Whom...") :), by Richard Lathrop. It's available on Amazon.co.uk. I think the most recent edition (from what I saw) was written in 1995. Anyway, the edition I read in the 80s had great advice and numerous examples of different types of resumes: (chronological, functional, a combination thereof, etc.).

2. "What Color Is Your Parachute?. 2004: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers," by Richard Nelson Bolles. He updates this book each year, so it's timely. It also has great advice and exercises for narrowing down exactly what it is you want to do, in what type of work environment, etc., as well as examples of resumes.

P.P.S. I think that British CVs are longer than American CVs because Brits tend to be wordier than Americans. For instance, a Brit might write something like: "He knew that if assistance were not to arrive soon, his life would dwindle away within a week's time," which would be edited to: "He knew that, without aid, he'd die within a week."  And before anyone jumps on my back about that being insulting, it's not meant to be, at ALL. I just know from years of editing books, etc., by both American AND British authors, and I'd be happy to show anyone "before and after editing" manuscripts I've received from British authors to show you what I mean. It has nothing to do with literacy--it's just a cultural difference in speech and wrting styles. (Although, in the case of academics, no matter what their country of origin may me, wordiness tends to be the rule, rather than the exception--sigh.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 05:16:59 PM by Suzanne »

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 02:50:00 PM »

Hmm I am just curious -- What is the job for which you are applying? I am 38-- never considered my age to be a negative-- I tend to think it is pretty much just right...mature enough to handle things to have experience through life and/or work....young enough to give many years service.

Helena

Well, I'm not sure. The thing is, I currently work in the advertising dept. of the largest circulation weekly magazine in the US.  I  have sort of a supervisory/adminstrative/information trafficking position. Because the company is so large, there is a lot of division of labor and delegation, so I don't do any clerical stuff like typing, filing, reception, etc.; other people do that for me. However, I'm moving from New York City to York, so I'm sure I will be working for a much smaller company; I have a feeling that in such a company all the things I do would be handled by a marketing assistant type person. Actually, before I worked for the company, I worked as a marketing assistant for a very small company, where the scope of my responsibility was larger than it is now, although on a much smaller scale. And generally, one thinks of a marketing assistant as a 20-something fresh out of university.  I really don't like the idea of taking a huge step back after so many years of experience, but I don't see what choice I have, given that there isn't a similar business environment in Yorkshire. (Commuting to London from York everyday is absolutely not an option. I suppose the biggest city I can hope to work in is Leeds.)  If anyone has any advice for me about the job market in Yorkshire, I'm all ears :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 03:48:06 PM by sweetpeach »

• York Interweb
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2004, 03:55:03 PM »
I just received three books on CV writing/job hunting from Amazon UK, and as I suspected, there is no difference between the American and British versions, except the British versions can be longer. You shouldn't enter any information that could cause your CV to be rejected outright, that means leave out most personal info, other than your name and a way to contact you. No reason to mention your birthdate or hobbies. Get the interview first, and then you can answer those questions if the interviewer brings them up.

• Banned

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 05:58:13 PM »
I just received three books on CV writing/job hunting from Amazon UK, and as I suspected, there is no difference between the American and British versions, except the British versions can be longer. You shouldn't enter any information that could cause your CV to be rejected outright, that means leave out most personal info, other than your name and a way to contact you. No reason to mention your birthdate or hobbies. Get the interview first, and then you can answer those questions if the interviewer brings them up.

Books on CVs.
Take it from an employer. Keep it brief and relevant to the job.  Find out as much as you can about your prospective employer.......what they do, produce, make, their customers. Tailor your CV to show you in the best light for that emploter/job.
That alone might help you decide if it is a job you want/can do.
Assuming you want that job, and get an interview, you will impress your prospective employer by being informed about the company.
If you want the job, and get an inter

• York Interweb
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 08:00:14 PM »
Cascode, your post got cut off  :-\\\\

Well, since I am a manager in the US, I suppose my resume should contain what I would want to see if I were hiring someone to work for me.  There shouldn't be too much difference between the US and UK, as people are basically the same everywhere, with the same expectations and fears. The only difficulty is wording things in a way that the employer will understand.  For example, I've noticed that job titles are different,  so that (I think) an Administrative Assistant (clerical job) in the US is called an Administrator in the UK. In the US, an Administrator is the head of a department, a high-level management position.

Sponsored Links