Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: PETS certificate vs. EU Pet passport?  (Read 3107 times)

• If only the Chunnel went to Norfolk...
  • Liked: 1
PETS certificate vs. EU Pet passport?
« on: October 28, 2004, 03:41:54 PM »
I was reading this page:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/quarantine/regulation/eu_reg.htm

And it talked about a new EU pet passport that was going into effect and would replace the PETS certificate eventually.  Does anyone know if a US vet can issue this?  Or do I need to take my dog into the UK with a PETS certificate, and then convert it to an EU passport?

I'm confused....   ???
Shell (US) and SteveB (UK)

• American Gal, living in France, moving to UK-SOON!
  • Liked: 0
Re: PETS certificate vs. EU Pet passport?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 06:47:29 PM »
Dear Shell:

Sorry I can't answer your question for you, but if you return to the defra site there's an email address you can write to.

This subject is of particular interest to me. We moved from South Dakota to Paris, France (Feb. 2004). Before we left I got all the proper French forms filled out, and my dogs were thoroughly gone over... and poked with necessary shots. Well, now that we're looking to move to the UK.... I've sort of had to start from scratch. The "biggest" thing that will set you back is the "blood test and wait 6 months" deal. I should think you would be able to apply for the UK's Pet Passport, from the states. Keep in mind the UK's pet import rules are basically that standard by which the rest of the EU is trying to come into conformity with..... or so it seems. France is continually changing their rules and laws.

We're 2 months into our 6 month wait.... from the time the blood tests were done.

Best of luck, and congrats on the engagement.
PitterPat
American... married to Yorkshire Brit... Need I say more?

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 11:26:34 PM »
We are CURRENTLY going through this process and are very confused, too!   ???

When/If we figure things out, we'll let you know.  Or, if you learn anything, please fill us in!  Thanks!   :)

• If only the Chunnel went to Norfolk...
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 07:21:07 PM »
The form y ou use now is NOT the EU Pet Passport, but the form for bringing a pet from a non-EU country.

I found it here:
http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/oj/dat/2004/l_065/l_06520040303en00130019.pdf

Then after you get to the UK, you can go to an approved vet and get the EU pet passport:
http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/oj/dat/2003/l_312/l_31220031127en00010013.pdf

(I think this is correct.  Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!)
Shell (US) and SteveB (UK)

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 08:52:43 PM »
That looks like what most people are now using... we came over in July and used a different form....  I just wish they would standardize it all... ::)
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Hi there.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 01:42:54 PM »
The form y ou use now is NOT the EU Pet Passport, but the form for bringing a pet from a non-EU country.

Yes, I think this is right.  I'm starting on this process now (so far got microchip and rabies booster for the 3 pets) and the form in the link above is the correct one.  I think the EU passport can be obtained only within the EU.

Here's a link to the form itself (without the extra pages):
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/iregs/animals/ee%20pet%20dog_cat_ferret_.pdf

This is the USDA site about exporting animals to the UK.  Scroll down to Cats, Dogs, and Ferrets. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/iregs/animals/uk.html
Liz

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 09:14:09 PM »
Hello Everyone:

We've just gone through this process.  It's a bit of a nightmare, but will be worth it!  If anyone has any questions, just ask.

Our flight is Monday night.  Now I just have to get over the terror of leaving my cats in someone else's hands, and then 8 hour flight of me not knowing how their doing sitting in the cargo below me!  Anyone else fly Northwest or through Gatwick?

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 08:27:11 AM »

Our two dogs are flying on this Thursday night to arrive at Heathrow on Friday.  Shell I think you're right on with the forms as those are the ones we've used and Virgin has cleared for us.  We'll see about getting the pet passport once they get here.  We're really excited to see chili dog and derby dog again!
We'll let you know how it goes!
Dr. Steve

***The journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step***

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab