Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Rude Americans  (Read 2746 times)

• Newbie here
  • Liked: 0
Re: Rude Americans
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2004, 09:37:01 PM »

Replace American with British and Glasgow with some place in Spain, and you'll have something similar to an article I once read in a paper over here.  Rudeness, it would seem, is everywhere.

That's true - I think that werever there are lots of one nationality holidaying, they will always get a bit of a name for themselves because of the minority of rude holidaymakers.  I have cringed at some of the Brits on holiday in Florida in the past... *they* seemed pretty allowed and uncouth at times.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2004, 10:17:33 PM »

I discovered that the British expect the word "please"....when in the US it's often enough to indicate this via tone of voice, body language etc.  I did have some people get angry with me when I didn't actually say "please"....even though I never intended to be rude.  In the US my behavior wouldn't have been considered rude.  Now I'm very careful about saying "please"....even though it still sounds excessive to my ear.

Saying "please" is expected in the US as well. Not saying it is just as rude in the US as in the UK. Perhaps Americans are less likely to comment on rude behavior.

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2004, 10:39:01 PM »

Saying "please" is expected in the US as well. Not saying it is just as rude in the US as in the UK. Perhaps Americans are less likely to comment on rude behavior.

I would have to disagree.  There are ways of asking politly without the use of the "word" please.  Yes, it is very nice to say the word, but here are a couple of examples:

"Would you mind terribly handing me that pen?" or "If you don't mind, may I have some water?"
When asked in a kind voice and followed by a thank you, please is not NEEDED. 

"Will you hand me that pen?" or "May I have some water?" need pleases, because there were not other "kind, asking-type" words.

Yes, all of these can be a lot better with please, but, if the right words and friendly, kind voices and body langauge is used, it is not a sin to skip it.

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 03:05:15 AM »
As has been pointed out by several other people on here, "rudeness" isn't exclusive to Americans, by any interpretation of the word. For example, there's nothing "rude" in assertively (yet politely and calmly) insisting on good customer service. Even Brits (Michael Palin and John Cleese immediately come to mind) will joke about how they could be at a restaurant, with horrible food served by an awful waiter, complain about it amongst themselves, yet when asked how everything is going, say it's great. To state otherwise would be considered rude; that's not rude--it's the rational assumption that you should get what you pay for. I've also heard many Brits complain about German tourists hogging poolside lounges, jumping queues (or butting in line, as Americans say), etc. That, to me, is rude. But when people make blanket statements that "Americans are rude" (each and every one of the approximate 290 million of us), the sheer statistical improbability of that is enough to make me bite my tongue and not say something truly rude in reply. :) If some of the behavior I've seen in Brighton's city center on weekend nights, or from British fans at football games is "polite," then I suppose "rude" needs a complete change in definition in dictionaries worldwide. :) I think it really just boils down to Americans' tendency to be straightforward--again, a different concept altogether from being rude.

• Banned

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 08:25:34 AM »
I think, as much as anything else, what is perceived as rude is a matter of culture.

It reminds me of a TV commercial running in UK for HSBC.

"All over South America this gesture (forefinger and thumb held up in a circle) means everything is fine, OK.......except here in Argentina where it is rather rude" A guy is trying to tell the chef that his meal is fine, makes the gesture, and ends up getting very dirty looks.

I may not have the details exactly right, but you should get the drift.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 10:49:03 AM »
I think, as much as anything else, what is perceived as rude is a matter of culture.

It reminds me of a TV commercial running in UK for HSBC.

"All over South America this gesture (forefinger and thumb held up in a circle) means everything is fine, OK.......except here in Argentina where it is rather rude" A guy is trying to tell the chef that his meal is fine, makes the gesture, and ends up getting very dirty looks.

I may not have the details exactly right, but you should get the drift.

I like the one with the flowers and the crushed moped... ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 12:49:12 PM »

I like the one with the flowers and the crushed moped... ;)

Yeah, that one is cute.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab